Rubbing his knuckles, Logan stepped past two giggling girls in the corridor and barely stopped a growl. They’d been back since mid-morning, leaving Piotr in the city. Logan could still remember the look upon Piotr’s face as he literally tore that man apart. The pure, unadulterated rage, the disgust, and beneath it the pain and acceptance of why he was killing him.

Logan stepped into the kitchen and reached for the fridge handle.

“There you are.” Jean’s voice held censure and banked anger.

“Where else would I be?” Logan grunted angrily. “Somethin’ you wanted?”

“Charles would like a word with you. When you can spare a moment.” Jean hissed and turned to stalk out of the room.

Beer in hand, Logan headed for the massive, oak lined office Charles called his. He didn’t want to hear whatever was on the other man’s mind, not right now when all he wanted was to kick some ass but he figured he’d better tow the line.

“Chuck.” Logan sank into a chair, fully aware of Scott, Jean, and Ororo in the room with the man sitting behind his massive desk.

“We need to talk.” Charles said leaning back. “I am aware of your need for violence, and most of the time I’ve turned a blind eye to your going out to fight in those cages you like to fight in. This time, however, I must remind you that you are not in a position to…”

“Get to the point.” Logan grunted angrily as he stared at him. He could all but taste the disapproval, and the looks exchanged left no doubt that they’d either caught part of his thoughts or someone had followed him.

“You killed a man last night. You butchered him with all the precision of a butcher.” Jean snarled. “He had a wife, three children…”

“He deserved it.” Logan ground out.

“No one deserves to be butchered like that, Logan. What the hell were ou thinking? You attacked him in his home. Or did the presence of toys not bother you?” Scott demanded.

Inhaling a long breath, Logan tried to control his temper as the realization of what this meaning hit him fully. Rising to his feet he glared at the team leader for a moment before casting a glance around the room. “He deserved what he got, and I’d do it all over again.”

“If you can’t control your penchant for destruction Logan, you need to rethink being here. This is a school, there are impressionable young minds…”

With a low snarl, Logan had Scott pinned to the wall, his claws on either side of the other man’s throat. “You think you’ve got all the answers don’t you? Black or white, not a spot of grey in there huh?” He growled low. “Guess what, you’re so far off fuckin’ base that it’s not even funny. I did the world a favor and I don’t feel an ounce of remorse.”

“You can’t just attack people without justification. Especially humans!” Charles snapped angrily.

Turning to Charles, Logan slammed Scott against the wall and tightened his grip as a knock came at the door.

“Come.” Charles all but barked.

“Sorry to bother y’all.” Rogue started catching sight of Logan and the sizing the situation up quickly. “Angel’s on the phone, Logan.”

With a low snarl, Logan dropped Scott and reached for the phone in Rogue’s hand. “Hello.”

“My you sound cheerful.” Angel’s voice rolled smoothly through the line. “Piotr’s gonna be staying for a couple of days. Can you cover for him?”

“Why?” Logan demanded.

“That John you dealt with had a family. I’ve been doing some digging, and he had a daughter and two sons. I’ve made arrangements for a friend of mine to go see them. If what I suspect is true…”

“You want the extra weight.” Logan stated calmly.

“They don’t usually avoid the easiest, cheapest form of entertainment.” Angel whispered. “And she is of the age.”

“He’s picking up a few extra shifts then. What about you?”

“I have sixteen children to get to safety, and one doctor. Right now things are so bloody hectic that I’m doing paperwork while I’m talking to you. I uh, I hope you’re not too upset with us…”

“Fuck no.” Logan stared at Rogue. “You’re doing what needs done. Let me know if you need me to pick up a shift.”

“Thank you, Logan but I don’t think that dragging you into this mess is a good idea. You have a good woman who probably doesn’t want to be spending her time worrying about some cracked pimp or pissed john tryin’ to kill ya.”

Logan chuckled, “You’d have to ask her. I’ll take care of any problems this end.”

“Good. Piotr feels kinda bad about leavin’ you high and dry but…”

“The kid’s gotta do what he thinks needs doing.” Logan replied. Just tell him if he needs anything to let me know.”

“Will do. Thank you Logan.”

“Don’t think you’re going anywhere Logan,” Charles’s voice halted him in front of Rogue who took the phone and smiled sadly.

“Why is it so damn bad that I killed that bastard?”

“Because you should know better. We’re on the edge of a war and all you’re thinking of is getting your bloodlust settled.” Charles retorted calmly, his hands folded on his desk.

“Really? Did you ever think that maybe, just maybe there was a reason for killing that son of a bitch? Do you think I just go for random acts of violence?”

“Yes.” Scott snapped. “You’re uncontrolled, dangerous, homicidal…”

Growling a warning, Logan glared at Scott for a moment before rolling his neck, cracking it easily. “Don’t tempt me boy, I’ve got nothing to lose and if you think I’m gonna listen to you tell me I’m wrong for doing what was right you got another think comin’.”

“We value your skills and your presence here at the mansion, Logan. Because of that we cannot allow random acts of murder…”

“He deserved it!” Logan snarled getting in Charles face. “If you think I’m lying take a look in my head. See what that sick fuck was about to do, what he’s been doing for a long ass time. You take a look and tell me you wouldn’t have done the same thing.”

Stalking across the room, Logan tore the door open. “Rogue and I’ll be outta your hair by tonight. Wouldn’t want to ruin your precious rose-colored view of things.”

Charles jumped at the slam of the door, the paintings on the wall shaking with the force of Logan’s anger. Glancing at the other Alpha team members he sighed. “Scott you followed him, what did you see?”

“There was so much confusion. By the time I got there all I saw was Logan getting into a vehicle and the remains on the floor of that man’s house.”

“I think we need to reassess. Go back there, tear the place apart. There had to be a reason that Logan would go psycho.”

Scott nodded, his expression already telling Charles he wasn’t too keen on proving himself wrong in his snap judgment of Logan.


There was anger in every stride as Logan stalked toward his room. Slamming into the room he saw Rogue glance up from the books in front of her and growled low.

“What was that all about?” Rogue asked softly.

“They found that prick.” Logan ground out. “Get this, they followed us. Scotty-boy followed me out to that shit hole and still believes I just went all animal and butchered that freak.”

Rogue paled and rose to move closer to him. “What are we going to do?”

“The only thing we can do. We have to give Angel a heads up to watch out for Xavier and his band of merry freaks, and then we need to get the hell outta here. I’m not putting their dreams above the wellbeing of a child.”

Rogue nodded, “I’ll call Angel, and you get us packed up. Maybe Angel could point us in the direction of a place to stay.”

Logan nodded slowly, a thought coming to himslowly. “What’s in the bank?”

“I don’t know.” Rogue shrugged. “Fifteen or sixteen grand. Why?”

“The old brownstone. Angel’s been trying to buy it for a while now. I’ll call the realtor, give ‘em the extra money and…”

“You told me that Angel didn’t want you paying…”

“What she don’t know won’t hurt her.” Logan smiled sadly. “Besides, they need the space.”

Rogue nodded and reached for her cell phone. She just hoped that things went okay because otherwise, someone was going to get seriously hurt.