The wind was damp as it blew in off the water and Rogue shivered despite herself. She stared at the old, weathered building that loomed in the shadows. Like some sort of monster. She glanced behind her at the sound of the car door being closed and watched the blonde driver hurry around to the drivers side. A moment later the dark, nondescript sedan pulled away, leaving a lingering smell of exhaust and an eerie silence.

“This way.” Piotr grunted and led the way inside. Walking past piles of crates and mish mashed junk; he headed for their ‘circle’. It was here that the judgment would be past, here that Rogue and Logan would really learn the secrets of the LFAA.

Several bare, low watt bulbs threw muted light across the rough wood floor. A floor that remarkably, had no dust upon it, no tracks of a footstep or two, nothing but the wood and the stains. The deep red stains upon it however told of bloodshed and Rogue’s gaze darted to Logan’s who nodded reassuringly. They would have to be strong, not only for themselves but for those whose lives depended upon the outcome of this night.

Catching a hint of movement, Logan turned to watch as Angel moved into the light. Gone was the classy, graceful woman he’d seen in the past few days. Instead, he was staring at a cold, hard woman. There was a hatred that ran so deeply within her that he wondered how she managed to stay sane even as he heard the creak of a door coming open.

A moment later several groups of men and women streamed in. Amongst them were the battered prisoners of their quest. A rough shove and a man landed on the floor at Piotr’s feet.

Angel moved forward to stare down into the face of the man who haunted the nightmares of more than one child. Using the toe of her boot she tilted his features up to the light and swallowed harshly, her fingers curling into fists as she recognized the man before her.

Fear waged a war with anger and hatred. The soft tinkle of her charms drew her attention slightly before she stepped back and moved away from the pudgy little man on the floor. He’d put on a bit of weight, and his once full head of hair had suffered over the years if his balding head was any indication. His eyes however had changed little. The greed and sick desire still swam within their depths and it irritated her.

“Look I don’t know whatever this is about…”

“No?” Angel stared at Piotr for a moment, the tail of her cloak swirling around her ankles, a deep vicious desire rolling within her gut.

“Hey, I’m sure we can work out a little deal. I mean if it’s cause I took one of your girls…”

Logan growled softly only to be stopped by Piotr’s expression. This was something Angel had to do. Instead he fell silent, waiting, watching to see what would happen.

“What kind of deal?” Angel all but purred.

“I got money. I got girls. Hey, you know fresh merchandise ain’t easy to come by these days. Not with that freak that’s out there stealin’ ‘em. Got a couple of really cute ones, still wet between the legs…if you know what I mean.” He chuckled weakly.

“Indeed I do.” Angel moved closer to Piotr, needing his strength, needing his acceptance. “I want the girls.” She snapped whirling to face the man cowering before her. “How many?”

“Uh how many you want?”

“How many have you got?”

“Sixteen.” He croaked twisting his hands in front of him and looking behind him at his muscle men. “All young, not all been trained though. Picked up one last night…”

“Where?”

“What’s it matter to you?” The low, furious snarl drew everyone’s attention to a tall, muscle-bound man standing glaring at her.

“Where are they?” Angel hissed.

“South of here. Bronx. Got a shack there that I’m using until my place is finished. I can take you to ‘em.” He rattled, his voice fast, unsteady as though he knew he was in too deep with no way out.

“I’ve a better idea.” Angel whispered softly, leaning closer to him. “A much better idea. Find his bawdy house. Bring me the merchandise, and his pathetic guardians.”

With barely a twitch, Witchdoctor and her team slipped away into the shadows, leaving the others to guard those that were being held.

Piotr glanced at Logan and Rogue before sliding a glance at Angel who gave a barely perceptible nod. “Logan, go with them.”

Logan squeezed Rogue’s arm and slipped hurriedly into the shadows.

“Do I know you?” Standing there, trying to avoid pissing his pants, the pimp stared at Angel, a frown on his face as if he was struggling to place her.

Angel barely spared him a glance as she stalked past Piotr. “No one leaves.”

“Watch them.” Piotr bit off and turned to hurry after Angel. He stopped when he saw her, hunched over against a crate, her entire body trembling, and her knuckles white with the force of her grip. “Angel?”

“Why him?” She whispered her voice strained. “Why couldn’t it have been anyone else?”

A frown crossed his face as he tried to think of what she meant. Realization hit him with the force of a sledgehammer and he turned to look behind him before moving closer to the woman he loved.

“You’re not a little girl anymore, you’re a woman. You’re strong; you’ve got the power he’ll never have.” Piotr started.

“And seeing him makes me feel like I’m seven all over again.” Angel muttered raking a hand through her hair. “I despise him; he turns my stomach and all I want is to smash him to bits.”

“What’s stopping you?”

“We need to get those kids first. This can’t be about me.” Angel whispered as he cupped her jaw in his hand. “I can’t allow this to be about me. I’ve grown up, I’m alive and I’ve got so much…”

“You deserve justice just as much as these kids do. Wait for them to arrive if you want, do what you have to for them, but don’t let him win. You’re not a possession or an object. You’re better than that,” Piotr smiled softly. “You’re my woman.”

Angel nodded and brushed the tears from her face. “You’re right. Come on; let’s get this show on the road. The kids’ll be here soon and I don’t want anyone or anything to interfere with their healing.”

Wrapping an arm around her shoulders, Piotr led her back to the circle. As soon as they stepped into the light he dropped his arm and moved to stand next to Rogue. Regardless of what Angel said, these men would die. All he wanted was half an hour alone with the man in front of him and he’d make him pay for ever hurting a child.