Author's Chapter Notes:
After reading an article in my local paper, I started a story a long time ago this is sorta the third of the trilogy.

Deals with mature and dark themes. If you are offended by these please do not read further. Contains references to Pedophilia and the child's sex trade. You have been warned
Dark red nails shone brightly in the fake glow of florescent bulbs as hands calloused by years of work tugged on the thigh high, stiletto heeled boots and laced them tightly. A tug of the hands pulled the belt keeping a pair of dark grey, hand laced leather pants tighter.

“When can I see you again?” Softly spoken, the voice held the hint of a Russian accent and the woman turned to stare at the man currently standing in his jeans and nothing else.

“I told you…” Her voice trembled slightly, desperation and fear coloring it along with a hint of guilt.

“You didn’t betray anyone,” he replied walking over to her and touching her face gently. “I love you, and there isn’t anything wrong with us being together.”

“I can’t be what you want. Don’t you understand? I’m not like the prim, sophisticated girls you know. I work out there.” She gestured to the still darkened streets beyond the window. “I have souls to collect.”

“I know that. I told you before that I’d walk that path with you. I’ve walked with you before; let me have more than just crumbs. Don’t become what you’re trying to run from.”

She licked her lips and raked a hand that trembled through her long, curly blonde hair. “You can’t leave them behind. Do you realize what they’d do to you if they knew about us?”

“They all have lives of their own. I won’t trade them for you. You’re more important to me than just some fly by night, itch to be scratched.”

The sudden ring of the phone drew both their attention and she stalked over to answer it. “LFAA, Angel speaking.”

“Hey boss,” thick, heavy, the masculine voice held a note of steel within it. “Found another one.”

“How old and where?”

“She’s no more’n seven. Just watched her ‘mistress’ bring her in the back door of a local hotel. I managed to find out which floor and what the conditions were. Deke’s up there now.”

“Observing?” She asked as she pushed down on the small red button marked intercom.

“He’s watching to see the room number. Once we’ve got that we can barge in and take ‘em down. You want us to be clean and concise or what?”

Angel turned to her part-time lover, full time muscle man and met his gaze. She smiled sadly, “Still want to have more?”

“Bring him to the warehouse.” Piotr ordered. “The girl can come directly to Angel’s sanctuary.”

“You want we should keep ‘im quiet, Tin-Man?”

“Just don’t kill him.” Piotr replied softly his eyes never leaving Angel’s face. “That’s for those who can handle the blood on their hands.”

“We’ll be there in an hour.”

Angel stared at him hard for a moment even as the buzz of the disconnected line filled the room. Hanging up the receiver slowly, softly she stared into his face. “It won’t get easier. She’s young, innocent looking but she’s far from a child.”

Piotr nodded quickly. He knew what exactly Angel meant, knew beyond a doubt just who was rebuilding their lives behind the walls of this massive building. All he had to do was walk down the corridor to see the battered, scarred faces of young women with aged eyes that held pain, and anger, and hatred.

“This isn’t my first pick up, Angel.”

Shrugging impatiently, Angel grabbed for her bracelet and slid it on. She would need every ounce of control she could muster not to kill the son-of-a-bitch outright. Her shoulders sagged as she stared at the scarred heart charm on her wrist. It didn’t matter how many she struggled to pull back from the brink, there was always another to fall, another willing to corrupt and steal the souls of kids who couldn’t take care of themselves.

“You’re not God,” Piotr rubbed her shoulders gently. “And we’re not some sorta of freaks because we believe. I’m not a fool, I’ve heard the backroom whispers, heard the rumors on the streets. Hell I’ve heard ‘em back at Xavier’s, and they’re as far from this world as you can get. Put a little faith in those of us who walk with you…”

“I haven’t got a clue on how to have faith, Piotr. And even if I did its awful hard to keep it in the world we live in.”

Piotr smiled softly. “For a woman who supposedly doesn’t have faith, you’ve certain done wonders. There are three shelters her in New York alone. More than a hundred and fifty kids under your protect.”

“They’re just souls pulled from the darkness.” She interrupted gently.

“And the volunteers? There are twenty-five men, women, and teens who volunteer to help out with the kitchens, with the laundry, transportation, and fundraising.” Piotr grabbed his shirt. “What about those who’ve never been to a street corner, who have no idea what its like to turn a trick to pay for a fix for their parent? In the six months since we’ve met, I’ve seen you build something more than most people who have had ‘help’ to build in their lifetime.”

“I’ve also had sex with you several times.”

Piotr suddenly knew what the issue was. It wasn’t about faith or trust, it was about a long ago promise that she’d made and now she was swimming in guilt over breaking it. “You didn’t break that vow, Angel. Logan would never expect you to go the rest of your life without intimacy, without a lover.”

“He said no tricks…” She snapped raking a hand through her tangled curls.

“I’m not a trick and you’re not a whore!” Piotr jerked on his jacket and stared at her. “Logan would understand you wanting to be loved. I’m not going to leave you, Angel. And I sure as hell ain’t gonna toss a twenty on the dresser on my way out! If I was like that I’d have taken advantage that first night so long ago. Now, come on, we’ve got a kid to help.”

A stiff nod was the only indication she’d heard him as she grabbed her cloak and pulled it on. There was a monster that had to be banished before life could proceed; still the words he’d said swam in the frenzy of her mind as she hurried down the stairs.


Darkened windows were busted, cracked in many places, and indication of lack of use and a good hiding spot for what the Enforcers wanted. The rough cough of an engine and an older, battered station wagon lumbered to a stop by the doors.

Two large muscular boys stepped out; quick assessing gazes swept the shadows of the alleyways and docks. The driver topped six foot, his shoulders as broad as the door he stood in front of, his face chiseled and hard, a crude, jagged scar married one side.
The passenger was almost as big, a few inches taller perhaps but built like an ox. His arms were huge, well muscled and toned as he jerked open the rear passenger door and dragged out a suit clad man with a bag over his head.

The pair turned toward the doors with their prisoner between them. With each step the disgust and angry rolled off both of them, along with fear and unease from the well dressed man.

A moment later a dark sedan pulled up behind the station wagon and a tall, blonde-haired man stepped out. He circled back to the rear passenger door and pulled it open, standing with a stony expression as he waited for his passengers to step out.

A hooded figure immerged, and they caught a flash of pale skin as he turned and surveyed the area. A moment later with a slight nod at the driver he moved a few steps away and waited while another, tall, dark haired figure stepped out of the car.


“We won’t be long.” Angel nodded at Jack. “Double check with the boys and see of they want you to run transport.”

“Yes, ma’am.” Jack agreed quickly. “And you Mister Bossman?”

“I’m with the lady. Call Dorine though, tell her you got a young one coming in. She’ll get a hold of Doc, we’ll do a run north with this one.”

Jack glanced between the pair, uneasy with the now familiar and too easy way they had of working together, the other finishing thoughts, it was almost like working for one person instead of two. He remembered the first few times he’d seen them together, the stilted way they interacted, as though they didn’t want to acknowledge the attraction that sizzled between them.

“Hey boss.”

Turning in unison, Piotr, Angel, and Jack watched the tall, muscle bound nineteen year old stride toward them. “Bulldog.”

“God something for you.” He moved to the rear of the wagon and opened the back door. With one beefy hand he reached in and drug out a squirming bundle wrapped in a musty, filthy blanket.

“The girl?” Angel couldn’t keep the censure out of her voice.

“No.” He shook his head. “Calls herself ‘mother’. Dropped off the girl, several condoms, and picked up a wad of cash. What do you want I should do with her?” He jerked the blanket away from the woman to reveal a tailored suit and expensive jewelry.

Angel smirked, a cold merciless shifting of muscles. “Mother, huh?” Angel snorted tapping her bottom lip with her nails. “Now what does it tell me that you’re the one behind this.”

“Fuck you, bitch.” The woman spat angrily. “I’m a business woman. You can’t tell me you won’t do the same thing if you were in my shoes.”

Slowly a maniacal grin crossed Angel’s face as she stepped closer to the other woman, the faint marks on her face darkened to cover her natural features. “Really? Sellin’ babies to perverts? I don’t think so. Its cause of you I’m in business. You seem to think you’re something special, that no one’s gonna touch you. Got news for you,” Angel whispered softly, almost kindly. “I don’t play by those rules. You’re mine!”

“What do you want us to do with her?”

“Whatever you want. Just don’t leave any trace of her.” Angel replied as she stalked toward the warehouse.

Daemon grinned evilly at Piotr and Jack as their boss disappeared inside. As soon as the door was closed tightly he glanced at his new toy. “Sooo.” He paused welcoming the dart of fear in her eyes. “I’m open to suggestions, gentlemen.”

“Kill her, slowly, painfully. Make her feel every drop of pain those kids have felt.” Piotr glanced between the two men. “Now, I’m gonna go and watch to see that the Boss don’t do something she’s gone lose sleep over.”

“You can’t do this! I’m a successful business woman, someone will miss…” She gasped as a hard elbow connected with her face, sending her backwards into the car. She lay there gasping in agony as the blood flowed down her face.

“Daemon, the target?” Jack asked softly.

“Left her with my sister.” He replied. “She’s waiting at the Park.”

Jack nodded as the doors opened and Daemon’s partner came out looking slightly green. “You forget to take your motion sickness pill or something?”

“Naw, just hate seein’ the boss all covered up with those black scrolls. Gives me the creeps.” He nodded at the sobbing lump in the back of the wagon. “What about her?”

“It’s up to you two. Whatever you do though, don’t leave anything that anyone can trace back to us. I’m gonna go make arrangements for Dorine and Doc to be at the house.”

Piotr paused at the door and glanced behind him at two of the most vicious men in the world and sighed. As he stepped inside he had no idea that he was being watched, or that the man standing in the shadows watching his every move snarled angrily as his claws slid out before being retracted quickly.