She touched him. She had to. That was the only way they were going to be able to make any sort of move within his timeline. And evidently when Wolverine made his mind up to do something, it had to be done then. He didn’t seem particularly thrilled by the idea but he didn’t move away from her either when she suggested it. Or kill her for that matter.

When she asked him to lean in he growled. So she said please and promised to be careful. That didn’t seem to mean much to him. Neither did her asking him to trust her. Oddly enough in her exasperation she said something only the lines of Sabretooth not being scared of her touch, was he?

That did it and he was quickly in her face. Originally she was considering a hand to hand touch but with him being so close and her slight regret at obviously wounding his male ego she opted to simply close the distance and kiss him.

It was the second time their lips touched and the two experiences couldn’t be more different, one to give him life and one to take just a little bit of it away. It was hard, she found, trying to actually kiss the man and concentrate, with lip motion and everything in an attempt to give both of them even a minute bit of pleasure, when foreign memories and thoughts were rushing into her like a very grumpy freight train. At first he was very still, and then she could feel him slightly moving his lips against hers before he went completely limp again. That was when she pulled away.

He immediately collapsed against her and in no way was she prepared. She knew he would pass out, of course, but she did not expect it to feel like being hit by a truck. His memories provided the answer to the unnatural weight. They didn’t help her breathe or get him off her.

She managed to push him off to the side. He was wedged awkwardly against the sink but he was unconscious, so it wasn’t like he was going to complain. Besides the increased noise between her ears she was feeling pretty damn good. Wolverine had himself a nice little mutation and his personality didn’t have the unnerving need to take over like Sabretooth’s did. And now there was nothing left to do but sit back and wait for him to wake up, hopefully very soon.

At first she tried counting, one to help keep track of the time and two to give her something to do. She was suddenly feeling very restless and antsy and the itch from her arms seemed to move down her body and was now gnawing at her knuckles. It all had to come from Wolverine since it wasn’t just her energy level that was heightened. She could now smell that the body was still within the cell room; towards Sabretooth’s vacated cell was her best guess.

More counting, more pacing, more sleeping Wolverine. Maybe his healing her wasn’t such a great idea. A couple of hours were up at least, could be longer, her numbers started to get mixed up in her head. She kept telling herself he was going to wake up soon since things began fading to her. At first the itching eased in her knuckles, which she was extremely grateful for. Then she no longer wanted to pace. In fact, her feet were starting to get just a bit tired so she settled down on the floor next to him. A little while later the smell of the body at the far end of the corridor stopped burning the inside of her nose. He had to be waking up soon.

Uncertain minutes kept going on and still no glimpse of baby blues. Lightly she laid a hand on his chest, just to make sure. A strong, even beat played beneath her finger tips. She tried shaking his shoulder with her other hand, his head just rolled to the other side. With a groan she considered slapping him but she had enough of him lingering in her head to quickly decide against that.

‘Relax,’ she silently told herself, ‘he just needs a few more minutes.’ A few more minutes wasn’t going to cost them anything. She just needed to settle down and keep her wits about her, not build up useless paranoia. For goodness sakes, she was experienced at this. She never got out before but she got pretty close a few times, Wolverine would need her clear and level-headed when he woke up and they could start moving.

With a few relaxing breaths she settled against him, the hard body by far the most comfortable thing she’s laid on in a long time. He was warm, nearly hot, against her hand, even through his shirt. Her head had just joined her hand on his chest when the clear chime of the elevator sounded at the end of the hall.

“No,” she whimpered quietly in horror. It was too late, they were here. Her stupid plan wasn’t any better than his stupid plan. Except perhaps he could protect the both of if she was the one out of it and all the guards were no doubt covered in protective gear so she couldn’t do crap. There was no way there they were getting out now. The guards would find them and they were as good as dead. Or worse.

Boots sounded in a death drum to her ears. ‘Fight or flight’ she told herself and tried to push away from the warm man underneath her and get to her feet before they got to them. She didn’t get far. Something clamped down across the whole bottom of her face. She tried to scream but couldn’t get anything out and what felt like a think steel band wrapped around her waist, pulling her tightly against Wolverine’s hard chest.

Shock filtering back down she realized it was his hand and his arm. Wolverine was awake and staring intently at the oncoming soldiers. ‘Thank Gawd,’ she thought. Light, bubbling relief filled her chest. Not that she supposed it did them any good at this point; they were still going to get caught. The only question was how much of a blood bath she could handle.

She found herself patting his thigh before she moved to get up again. Saying good luck, she guessed. But again she didn’t go anywhere except being clenched harder into him. With a vice grip around her middle and his hand covering both her breathing passages her lungs were starting to burn.

‘Okay,’ she thought, ‘He doesn’t want me ta get up.’ Fine, if he had a plan that was great since hers went up in smoke. But he was going to have to let her breathe. She clawed at the massive hand covering her face. He didn’t remove it. He did, however, move his top two fingers that were covering her nose. She immediately inhaled a deep breath.

“Sir!” Someone shouted. Boots moved faster.

“Fucking hell! Call the Colonel. Sound the alarm.” Static. A beep. “Rogue unit on the loose! I repeat rogue unit loose!”

“Where do you want us to start searching, sir?”

“Hell if I know! It’s been five hours, she could be anywhere by now! Check the upper halls, fuck, search a thirty mile radius outside the base. Did someone fucking call the Colonel yet? What are you standing here for? We know she’s not here! Just find her, you nimrods!”