The girl had been gone forever. He lost the ability years ago to be able to tell time but she’d been gone long enough that the image of angry, frustrated, and scared green eyes slowly closing played over and over again in his head at least twenty times. And what the hell did she expect him to do, exactly? Did she really think he’d *never* tried his fucking claws on the bars of the cell? Did she think the plumbing and the electrical had been ripped out just for the hell of it? He been in this dank hell hole for as long as he could remember and tried all sorts of shit on those damn bars.

Back in the days when he and Sabretooth were side-by-side they tried to combine they’re skills, their ideas; find some way to get the fuck out. But it was damn useless. Useless. It got to the point where he looked forward to those damn ‘assignments’ of theirs just for a chance to breathe fresh air and not have a nose full of his own shit. Then somehow it became a fucked up competition between the two of them. If they fucked each other over when they came to get one, the one‘s whose intestines weren’t on the floor got to go. If the assignment was a success you got feed. Feed well and somewhere along the way that became more important than anything else.

Now she comes along with her bright ideas about escape, like she’s the first mutant brilliant enough to come up with it. He supposed he could have flat out told her it was pointless but it was sort of nice to have her voice breaking up the endless silence. That and his vocal cords were near limp from years of limited use. The Colonel didn’t ask his opinion on many things over the years.

He shook his head and dragged a set of claws slowly across the stone floor, making the three foot raven a little bit deeper. Maybe she was right about him being lazy. Some of the guards were starting to get a little relax with him. Years of good behavior will get that, he supposed. But if he managed to get out of the cell, could he really make it out of the base? He was damn good at what he did but was he any match for a whole military compound? Some of them were bound to have those damn elephant tranquilizers near by. And her anthem of team work didn’t sit well with him. She wasn’t Sabretooth. She didn’t have military training or know how to fight; she was just a lab rat. She’d slow him down and if it was her or his freedom the choice wouldn’t be one she’d like.

The service elevator at the end of the hall chimed and he didn’t even move his head. The faint squeaking told him it was the food cart. One shuffling set of foot falls sounding behind it. The man stopped in front of the girl’s cell first, which caught his attention. He watched as he pulled a small ring of keys from his pocket and unlocked the door. He took something out from under the cart and Wolverine narrowed his eyes. Straps, leather straps. A frown found its way onto his face as the solider attached them to the side of the cot, tugging on them to insure they stayed.

He must have sensed his eyes on him because he looked up from his tasked and look toward him. “Howdy, Wolverine.” ‘Christ,” Wolverine thought.

“Don’t worry, big feller, I got your food. Just gotta make sure I’ve got this done before they bring Rogue back. Getting her enhancements now, you know? You remember what you were like afterwards.” As if to drive in the point the solider tugged on the straps again before letting them fall with a smirk.

A low growl rumble in his chest before he even recognized his bubbling anger at the solider. ‘Condescending prick,” Wolverine thought.

“Alright, tiger,” the solider went on as he locked the door of the girl’s cell. “Let’s get you feed.”

The solider push the cart the sort distant to his cell and bent over to retrieve the covered tray, whistling the whole time. The girl was right; he was smarter than these toy soldiers and had been a touch too lazy.

By the time the soldier turned around with the tray Wolverine launched himself out of the shadows and had the much smaller man by the neck. He trembled near convulsion in his hands and dropped the tray with a loud bang to the floor.

“Ple..please…” he stuttered, tears already leaking out of his wide eyes.

Wolverine snarled loudly at him and tightened his hold around his neck before plunging his claws deep in his chest. The shoulder gurgled as blood leaked from the corner of his mouth but went limp in Wolverine’s hand. He gave the claws one final twist before pulling them back into his forearms and released his grip around the body’s neck at the same time. It made a much softer noise as it hit the ground then the discarded tray of food. With a satisfied smirk he reached down and pulled the jingling keys out of the body’s pocket

Chapter End Notes:
More to come, PROMISE :D