Author's Chapter Notes:
I told myself I'd never write a long chapter story again after "What set you free..." I suck.

(I have no idea what the rating is going to do. So we'll just play it by ear.)
He leaned back in his chair as he watched the post-climatic events play out on the night-shot monitor in front of him. The smoke from his cigar billowed around him, not moving anywhere in a hurry in the poorly vented space.

On the screen the scene was all played out even though the drama was still in full swing as his employees tried to subdue the last of them. He shook his head and reached for the warm scotch resting on his desk. The amber liquid was just about to touch his lips when a knock sounded at his door.

“Come in,” he called out, setting the glass back down.

Another man opened the door just enough to stick his head in. “Uh, Mr. Hartmen?”

“What, you buffoon? I said come in!” The man behind the desk snapped.

He bowed his head and scurried in. “Yes, sir, I’m sorry sir.”

“Well?” Hartmen hissed. “Is everything taken care of down there?”

He nodded, wriggling his hand together nervously. “Yes, sir. The resistance was effectively taken care off. All subjects have been secured in their cells.”

Hartmen shook his head and turned back towards the grainy, green monitor. He watched it steadily as he took a slow drag from his cigarette. “Was it 6521 again?”

“Yes, sir.”

He swore and rubbed the cigarette out on the top of his desk. “Damn persistent little pest, that one.”

“Yes, sir,” the other man quickly agreed. “And more and more of the others are starting to join it in the revolts. Should we put it through correction again, sir?”

Hartmen considered the suggestion as he watched the mutant in question pace back and forth in its cell. “No,” he finally decided. “It would make it the third time this month, evidently that isn’t getting through to it. Damn thing, its giving use more trouble than information on genetic corruption.”

“Elimination, then?”

“We’ll have to. The Company can not keep taking these damn little revolts, it damages specimens and personal.” Hartmen swore. “We’ve just invested so much damn money and time into 6521! All down the damn drain.”

“Perhaps, sir,” the other man spoke up. “Perhaps we could find a buyer for it? Try and recoup some of the Company’s investment?”

“And who the hell do you think is going to want to buy a mutant that’s been experimented on for the last three years? No matter what we’ve tried we haven’t been able to break it.” Hartmen narrowed his eyes in disgust at the screen. “It’s not good for anything but dog food at this point.”

The other man approached the desk cautiously, risking a few quick glances at the monitor before looking back at Hartmen. “But if I could…if I could find a buyer within the month…”

Hartmen narrowed his eyes at him. “You haven’t become…attached…to 6521 have you?” He asked, acid dripping in his voice.

The other man’s eyes went wide and he staggered back. “No! No, sir, of course not! I’m just thinking of the best interest of the Company.”

The old, cynic face didn’t buy his negation for a moment, his dark mud eyes showing the man as much. He scratched his nails through the side of his beard as he watched the man in front of him shake and quiver. “A week,” he finally declared. “You have a week to find a buyer, after that its elimination. And I get to destroy the damn thing myself.”

“Yes sir,” the man nodded and started backing away towards the door. “I’ll get the purchasing department right on it. I’m sure we’ll be able to find something.”

Hartmen snorted as the man all but ran out of his office. He lifted the ignore glass of scotch back to his lips and this time drank eagerly from it. As he drank he turned the chair around to face the monitor. The occupant inside had stopped pacing, and was now sitting down, leaning against one of the walls. Suddenly it looked up and flashed one finger right at the surveillance camera.

He glared at the screen and set his glass down. “Freak,” he jeered quietly.