Title: Missing 14/?
Author: sharonmjl47
Rating: R
Category: Movieverse.
Disclaimer: I own nothing, and no one. Sad, isn’t it!
Feedback: Please, bad or good. If no one tells me it’s bad, I won’t know!


**********************

“Doc, you get this wrong and I’ll…”

“Victor, I have explained several times: If I get this wrong, you will most probably be dead, so idle threats mean nothing at this point.” Hank used a small foot control to lower the ‘dentist’ like chair Victor was lying back in. “I have administered a strong painkiller, but given your healing factor I am afraid it might not have much effect - however, if it were not for your healing we would not be able to try this in the first place.”

As gently as he could Hank moved Victor’s head into position and placed a large scanner just above it. A holographic image of the inside of Victor’s brain flashed up and Hank could plainly see the position of the chip.

Hank wheeled over a trolley with a small metal tray, five instruments neatly laid out: A hand-drill, a scalpel, a small camera on the end of fiberoptic pipe and a needle with surgical thread on it. He picked up the long hand drill first. “Sure this ain’t jus’ a fancy ways of killin’ me off?”

“My friend, I took an oath to provide the best medical attention to any and I mean *anyone* who requires it, no matter what their race, gender, or affiliation may be. That oath includes you. Judging by the position I won’t be able to remove the chip without killing you, but my aim is to get some close-up images of it to determine its function. Now, please try and keep still. If the pain becomes too much then simply raise your hand and I will stop.”

Raising the drill to the side of Victors head, he pressed down and began to drill. Hank could see Victor grip the arms of the chair, but he made no sound and not once raised his hand to stop him.

*********

Scott, as instructed by Xavier, had gathered his the best of the X-Men in the briefing room: Jubilee, Logan, ‘Ro, Pete, Louise, Marie and Liam all stood around the central holo-map.

“I don’t know what the Professor has planned, but wherever we go, Louise and Rogue stay here with Kitty, Elizabeth and the Professor for the children. Hank is obviously staying behind to monitor Creed.”

“Hang on a second…”

“Rogue, you’re not on active duty, you’re not fully up to this and neither is Louise.”

“Scott, Hank said that my powers are back on top form, including my invulnerability and super strength…”

“Even more reason to be here with Victor Creed. If Hank is right about this chip inside Creed’s head, he could turn nasty at any time. I want Logan out with us, which means I need someone here and you’re it.”

“Fine. I guess I would rather have Louise here anyway at the moment.” She put her arm around her daughter who simply and clearly looked relieved. “Okay. We’ll stay with Betsy, Xavier and Kit-kat. Actually I was curious about that, why doesn’t Kitty go on missions anymore, and why haven’t I seen Bobby?”

Jubes nudged her. “Sorry, left that outta the goss. Kit-kat decided she wanted the quiet life and quit the team. Tried to make him go too, but little Bob didn’t agree with her, so they split up. That was one hell of an argument I can tell ya! Bobby’s not about ‘cause he’s in Boston visiting his dad, cancer or something major like. I tried to get him to talk about it, you know, open up a little? But you know what the Iceman’s like. Won’t talk, won’t trust, not since Johnny left.”

“Poor guy. Must be hard. I know he was close to his father.” When Marie said that Louise looked up and Logan, catching her eye, winked at her. It earned him a bright, glowing smile. Even only after a year of knowing Liam and Louise, he knew that they were close, knew he could count on them and vice versa. He couldn’t quite get his head round how he felt, it was strange to him. Protectiveness that was so fierce it almost hurt to think what might happen to them, it wasn’t like it had been when he first met Marie. Sure, he had wanted to keep her safe whatever the cost, including the sacrifice of his own life, but… This was different, a different kind of love. In some ways, it overwhelmed him.

Xavier entered the room and explained that by using Cerebro he had been able to detect a small trace of Jean. For whatever reason she had been distracted enough to let her shields slip for a millisecond and he had found her. “I’ve had Katherine find the exact address and it is a Hospital called Arlington Urgent Care. Its just over a mile away from the Pentagon in Washington. All information shows that it is a fully functioning emergency care hospital, but it does has a private section that was opened two years by a private benefactor. Katherine is currently doing some research to find out who that is, but I’m guessing that private wing is where you will find Jean and whatever she’s up to.”

“That close to the pentagon, sir.”

“I do not like it either, Scott.” Xavier crossed his hands and thought for a moment. “The only logical theory that I can think of is that she wanted us to find Creed. She knew that considering the condition we found him in we would bring him here and attempt to help. Hank hasn’t finished trying to investigate this chip yet, so we will have to see if he can confirm his fears. But nonetheless, Creed is here and could be a considerable danger to us all.”

“So we keep him outta the way. Danger Room?”

“Rogue... although a good idea, I doubt the DR would hold him. Though… it would hold the students. Scott, do you still have that pool hall/leisure centre program?”

“Yes sir, but surely you…”

“Yes, I do. Storm, if you would cancel all lessons and have the students gather in the Danger Room? Explain minimally about the situation and run the program. Myself, Katherine and Psylocke can go in with them to keep some semblance of order, but other than that once we are all in, I want the lower levels closed off. The children are the priority. If Hank is right, Creed’s intelligence will be greatly diminished. The grounds are vast enough, he won’t find the way out before he can be neutralised.” ‘Ro left the room with Scott to get all the children down. “Once we are all safe, I want Rogue and Louise to help Hank monitor Creed. Remain with him at all times.”

“Sure thing.” She nudged Louise a little. “We can handle that.” Louise smiled back at her mother confidently, proud to be included.

“All right. Wolverine, Colossus and… Liam, have you considered a codename?”

“Well kind off, but I think it’s a little predictable. Spiral.”

Pete slapped him on the back. “Sounds good. Memorable, not predictable.”

Xavier smiled at both the men and Logan chuckled a little. “Welcome to the X-Men Spiral.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“The three of you go and get suited up and them meet Storm and Cyclops in the hangar.” Then with another reassuring smile and a nod to all of them he left the room, crossing the hall and opening the Danger Room.

Louise was the first to move. Going over to her brother, she held out her hand and extended her little finger. He grinned and hooked his own with it. “Be careful.”

“’kay. Lou? Umm, don’t do anything stupid.”

“Would I ever??”

He rolled his eyes and she hugged him, left as only as their mother moved to hug him as well. She touched his face lightly and them turned to Logan, jabbing a finger in his chest. “He comes back in one piece!” Flashing her a trademark smirk, he then glanced at Liam before returning his gaze to Marie, she looked at her feet unable to meet his eyes. “You, um, be careful too.”

She turned on her heel and went out the room, trotting to the elevator to catch up with Louise. Logan caught her arm and spun her around, kissing her, deep and hard and full of love. Love that he had been holding onto, ever since she had left him. Marie wrapped her arms around him and held on tight as she kissed him back with everything she had.

Logan broke the kiss first, stroking her jaw with his thumb, then he looked almost shy about his display. “Um, be careful, Creed’s a nasty piece of work when he gets going, ur, take your shots early and take him down as quick as you can ‘cause he wont tire.”

“Don’t worry, I can handle it.”

“Ok.” He looked back and saw Liam and Pete watching with smiles on their faces and then behind Marie was Louise’s head poking out of the elevator, watching as well. He scratched the back of his head. “I love you.” His voice was just above a whisper, but he knew that she heard.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t catch that.”

Meeting her eyes he couldn’t miss the mischief behind her lashes and decided to play along by growling at her. “I. Said. I. Love. You.”

She stepped a little close and kissed his jaw. “Good, that makes us even then.” He kissed her forehead and breathed her in before she moved off to the elevator with Louise.

“Lou.”

She poked her head back out. “Yeah?”

“Be careful.”

“I will, dad! Don’t worry.” She went back in.

Logan turned back to Liam, then seemed to think of something else and called again. “Lou.”

Her head came out once more. “Yes?”

“Don’t do anything stupid.”

“Why does everybody always say that?” Back in.

“Lou.”

“What?!?” Back out.

“If he does go nuts, he won’t know anything, not you, not your name, not your scent, nothing. It won’t matter what you say, he just won’t know you. Take it from me, berserker rage, it’s like red rag to a bull and all you can see is the rag, nothing else, you’re blinkered, blind with it.”

She nodded and got back in the elevator, but just as Logan turned his back she poked her head out again. “Dad?”

“Yeah?”

“Love you.”

“Love ya too kid.” She smiled and finally got back in and pushed the button to ride up to the main part of the school.

*********

Sebastian sat casually in a large leather chair while Jean Grey explained to two of their ‘Brotherhood’ what was to be done. He watched the way she handled them, like a stern mistress talking to school children, ordering them around, leaving no doubt who they were to listen to and who was in charge. He liked it, revelled in it, enjoyed it when he let the tables turn and let her treat ‘him’ like that as it was usually her who was on the receiving end. The last time had been with a cane - he had especially liked that.

His voyeuristic musing was broken when Jean leant forward and picked up the two vials of cloudy liquid by his side. She smiled, knowing full well that she had given him a perfect view down her blouse.

Handing a vial to each mutant she made things clear again. “You stick specifically to the time-table. The clearance cards you have will get you into the main foyer of the Pentagon, then you split up. Bandit, you are to find your way to the cafeteria, there you touch as many people as you can, within minutes the whole place will be in chaos. Callisto, you have an extra clearance card, this will get you into the military wing. Our contact will meet you and take you to your target. You know what to do once you’re there.”

Sebastian rose gracefully from his seat and adjusted the sleeves on his expensive suit. “I don’t need to tell you how important it is that you touch no one until you reach your specific targets. If either of you are discovered before that, the whole plan will be ruined. In that case, I will personally see to it that rather than being hailed as heroes to our cause you will be sacrificed like rabid dogs.”

Both nodded, then took the lids off of their vials and rubbed their hands with the milky liquid.

Jean looked at her watch. “You have an hour before you’re due to leave. Go and get ready, go over and over your timetables, there will be *no* mistakes.” As they left Jean sat down in the chair next to Sebastian’s. “Are you sure we chose the right two?”

“Of course we did. Although good in their abilities, both aren’t very bright - once they are within the walls of the pentagon they are both bound to panic and something will inevitably go wrong, thus getting both of them killed, or interrogated to kingdom come. Either way their ‘Brotherhood’ alliances will be discovered and once again the world will have someone substantial to stand up to them.”

He poured himself a small shot of something and then another, handing it to Jean. “The President’s visit to his Military Secretary will be even more interesting for him than he anticipated.”

“Cheers!” He took a sip of his amber liquid. “In just over 90 minutes, Jean, the dream my father gave up on will finally be a reality. The Brotherhood will once again be in the forefront of the fight for Mutant supremacy.” She raised her glass and saluted him with it. “When will you activate the chip for Creed?”

“Just before those two idiots leave. That way, once Xavier and the X-Men realise what’s happening, it will be too late. Not that it will really matter, it’s a four hour drive from Westchester, 80 minutes by jet. Either way, they’ll be too late.”

Putting his glass down gently on the small side table, he picked up the DVD disc that was next to it. “This, however, will be delivered right on time. My own private message to that bumbling idiot who thinks he’s running this country, when really it’s us who should be in charge. And given time, when every mutant who’s fed up with being treated as an ‘equal’ to humans hears our cause, that’s how it will be.”

Jean rose and took the disc out of his hand and placed it in its protective case. “I’ll make sure Callisto has it on her.”

Turning away, he lifted his glass to his lips again. “I don’t want any mistakes, Jean.”

“There wont be any except the ones we want them to make.”

“My father’s plans were invariably thwarted by Xavier and his little band of followers. I won’t have that, won’t stand for it. I am a better man than he was, a better leader, a better strategist, and this day, I’ll prove it. Prove it was wrong to keep me a secret, keep me hidden at school. I could have helped him, could have made the Brotherhood better, with me it would have been magnificent!” The strength of his grip grew as he let his bitterness show and the thin glass he was holding shattered in his hand, spraying the table and his suit with shards of glass and amber liquid.


*****************END OF PART 14