Author's Chapter Notes:
~depicts dreams~ {personal thoughts} {{projected thoughts}}
1

Logan watched as Rogue pulled out a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt then started to dress. Pulling off his new flannel shirt, Rogue didn't seem the least bit self-conscious to be standing in front of him naked. She met his gaze and gave him a seductive smile, his eyebrow quirking sharply at the playful expression in her eyes. As Rogue pulled on her panties then reached for her bra, Logan wondered briefly how he'd managed to stay away from her as long as he had.

He continued to watch her until she was fully dressed then he turned his attention to the next order of business. Logan moved into the bathroom and grabbed the cotton long johns he'd worn the night before and had washed out that morning then walked back into the bedroom and stuffed them into his bag. His eyes met Marie's briefly as he surveyed the room for anything else they might have left.

Rogue watched him as he walked to the foot of the bed they'd shared the night before. She strained her neck a little to see what he was staring at so intently but it wasn't until he lifted up her torn nightgown that she saw what it was. A slight flush rose to her cheeks as she remembered Logan slicing the gown open then slowly revealing her body to his heated gaze.

Logan wrapped the garment around his hand then turned to Rogue. "Can I keep this?"

"Why would ya want that?" Rogue questioned with a quirk of her brow, her tone conveying her impression of him at the moment, basically that she thought he was crazy for asking.

"I want to always remember last night," he told her tenderly before a mischievous glint appeared in his eyes, "besides it might come in handy."

"Suit yaself, sugah," Rogue returned flirtatiously.

Taking the shredded nightgown, Logan stuffed that into his bag as well before hefting it onto his shoulder and turning to Rogue. "You ready to start home?"

"Ah'm already home, Logan. Home is where the heart is and now that Ah'm with ya, Ah'm home."

Logan dropped his bag on the bed and crossed the distance between them in two steps. "C'mere," he said pulling her into a tight hug. "I don't know what I did without ya, darlin'."

"Ah know what ya did without me and Ah'll bet yer hand must be pretty tired by now," Rogue returned with a honey sweet twang.

"Well I'm certainly tired of it," Logan admitted freely with a shake of his head. "C'mon, the sooner we get started the faster the day will go and the sooner we can stop and send the night somewhere."

"Why Ah declare, ya dirty old man," Rogue teased with a smile.

"That's right, kid," Logan returned wolfishly, taking her by the arm and pulling her toward the door. "Let's get it on."

Rogue giggled as they headed outside and packed their things on the back of Scott's motorcycle. Within a few minutes they climbed on the bike and with Rogue holding him tightly around the waist, they started the long trip back to Westchester.

As Logan pulled out of the motel parking lot, Rogue spread her fingers out across his chest and leaned against his back with a contented sigh.

The couple drove in silence for several hours before Logan pulled into a small town and stopped at a fairly clean looking diner.

"What're we stoppin' fer?" Rogue asked as he killed the engine.

"I don't know about you but I'm starving," he returned with an adoring smile. "Aren't you hungry?"

A coy tint colored Rogue's eyes. "Ah've been hungry since the first time Ah laid eyes on ya."

Logan's muscles tightened just from the tone of her voice. "I'm talking about food here, Marie," he admonished lightly.

"So's Ah," she teased sweetly. "If ya'll recall Ah's starvin' when ya found me in yer trailer. Ah hadn't eaten in more than a day."

Shaking his head, Logan helped her off the motorcycle then took her hand in his as they walked toward the restaurant. He led her toward a booth in the back but this time they sat side by side rather than across from each other, their thighs touching lightly and their fingers still intertwined.

"Afternoon," a short, bulky waitress greeted with a broken toothed grin as she handed them a pair of menus. "Can I start you with a drink?"

"Just water for now," Logan returned with a dismissive glance at the woman.

"I'll give you a few minutes to decided," the waitress offered before moving away.

Turning back toward Rogue, Logan leaned into her a little more and propped his head on her shoulder, looking at the menu she was studying rather than opening his own. "What looks good?" he asked his breath hot against her ear.

Rogue shivered slightly as she closed her eyes and sighed at the rich, seductive sound of his voice. After a beat she opened her eyes and turned her head enough to be able to look at him. "Nothin' looks as good as you," she responded breathlessly.

Logan lifted his hand to her knee then slid it slowly up her thigh. "Even so we need to keep up our strength." Looking at her loving expression and her slightly parted lips, his old friend frustration returned with a vengeance. Here he was sitting with the most beautiful woman he'd ever laid eyes on, touching her suggestively on the thigh and he couldn't even kiss her. At that moment he wanted it more than anything, even more than being able to make love to her, to just be able to lean down and brush his lips against hers.

"Have you decided yet?" the woman asked, placing two glasses of water on the table in front of them.

"We'll take two hamburger baskets and a couple of sodas," Logan ordered without taking his eyes off Rogue.

The waitress' eyes widened at the exchange between the couple. "I'll have that out shortly," she stated before leaving them alone.

By now Rogue's hand had descended on Logan's knee. Her fingers took a similar journey up his leg, the muscles in his thigh tightening more the higher her caress went.

Logan swallowed hard as Marie's hand stopped just short of being able to graze his crotch with the tips of her fingers. His body already starting to respond to her touch, Logan reluctantly removed his hand from her leg then removed hers as well, their fingers once again twining together.

"How long d'ya think it'll take t' get home?" Rogue asked just to say something.

"Four or five days probably," Logan returned with a slight shrug. "Depends on how far we want go each day and how early we get started."

"Or how early we stop," Rogue said suggestively.

"That too," Logan agreed with a nod as their eyes locked again. "It's not like we're in much of a hurry."

"That's true," she responded in a hoarse whisper, biting lightly on her lower lip as Logan continued to stare at her longingly.

"Do you want to stop?" he asked her.

Rogue shrugged one shoulder weakly. "It ain't really that Ah wanna stop, Ah just miss bein' able t' see yer face and talk t' ya while we're drivin'." A small smile tugged at the corners of her mouth, "Although Ah do love hangin' on t' ya on the bike."

"Here you are, kids," the waitress said suddenly, placing the burgers on their table. "Can I get you anything else?"

"No thank ya," Rogue responded nicely, looking at the woman for the first time.

Logan squeezed her hand lightly to draw her attention again. "I'll tell you what. I know a town a couple hours away from here. We'll go that far then stop for the day, okay?"

"Whatever ya say, sugah," she replied sweetly.

They unwillingly released their clutched hands and started to eat, their eyes locked on each other's almost continuously. Despite Rogue's objection that she couldn't talk to him while riding on the motorcycle, they didn't talk much then either. Within half an hour they finished eating, paid their bill and started again down the road.

An hour into the trip Rogue started to get bored so she let her fingers start a little exploration. Sliding her hands up Logan's torso she started up just under his collarbone, her fingers splayed as they studied each sinewy line.

Soon her hands moved down fully to his chest, she could feel the tightness of his nipples even through his shirts and her gloves. Rogue's hands cupped his pectoral muscles and she felt a halting breath leave his lungs. With a smile she let her hands dip lower, slowly defining each section of his washboard stomach with the tips of her fingers until they grazed the sensitive area above his belt.

"Marie," Logan's ragged growl was loud enough to hear even through the wind and the material of the helmet.

With a heavy sigh Rogue returned her hands to a higher position on his body and shifted slightly behind him. The next couple of hours were going to be hard.


They pulled into the town Logan had mentioned about three in the afternoon and he proceeded to a cheap but clean motel he'd used several times before. Rogue accompanied him to the office to get a room and they had barely opened the door when the old, haggard man behind the counter rose from his stool with a toothless smile.

"Wolverine," he greeted excitedly, "welcome, son, welcome."

"Gage," Logan returned kindly. "You got a room for us?"

The man looked from Logan to the young woman behind him, his eyebrows lifting slightly at the sight. "That's a pretty thing you got there, Wolv, and you know I've always got a room for the best damn fighter on the planet," Gage concluded with a grin as he looked through his registration book. "Are you stayin' long?"

"Probably just over night," Logan responded, looking over his shoulder at Rogue.

"Is that all?" Gage asked, obviously disappointed. "You're gonna fight tonight aren't ya? I ain't seen a good fight since the last time you's here. I know they're lots a men been waiting for ya to come back through."

Rogue could see how much the old man was looking forward to seeing Logan fight and she could tell how much Logan wanted to tell him he was going to. "Course he's fightin' t'night," she answered for him.

Logan gave her a thankful grin before turning back to Gage. "What do I owe you?"

Gage shook his head. "Watching you work tonight will be payment enough, Wolv. Here's your keys, you kids have a nice stay and I'll see you tonight."

"Thanks, Gage," Logan said almost gently, reaching out to shake the man's hand.

"Bye," Rogue threw over her shoulder as Logan pulled her from the office. "What a nice old guy."

Logan nodded as he moved the bike toward the front of the room, Rogue walking beside him. "He's always treated me well."

"How long've ya known him?" she asked with intense interest as Logan unlocked the door and gestured her inside.

"About nine years," Logan returned as he dropped their bags to the floor, kicked off his shoes then wrapped his arms around Marie from behind, pulling her back tightly against him. Holding her with his left arm, his right hand began to wander up toward her breasts.

Rogue caught his wrist and pulled his hand to a stop before turning in his arms to face him. "It's mah turn," she insisted firmly, staring heatedly into his eyes. Logan was about to ask her what she was talking about when she started pushing the leather jacket off his shoulders. He shrugged to aid her in the task then watched her as she bent her head down and started undoing the buttons on his shirt.

She had barely pushed the flannel garment off his shoulders when his body started to respond to her. Rogue's gloved-hands splayed out over the tank shirt he still had on as she drew her hands down his torso. When she reached his waist she took hold of the undershirt and pulled the tails out from where they were tucked in before pulling it up his body to reveal his naked chest. Rogue licked her lips, wishing that she could kiss the skin stretched tight across his rippling muscles.

Once the shirt was over his head, Rogue dropped the garment before lowering her hands to his shoulders. Logan pulled in a ragged breath at the feel of the silky material covering her hands as they explored his torso once again. Rogue's fingers traced the lines of his body, smiling each time Logan shuddered or growled. As she continued moving down his body, he actually moaned when her hands danced across the sensitive area above his belt.

Rogue stopped at the sound, her eyes wide as she looked up at him. Logan's eyes were closed but the expression on his face spoke volumes. Biting lightly on her lower lip, her hands moved again as they undid the large belt at his waist. Just below where she was working Rogue could see his pants tightening in the crotch. When she finally released the belt, she gently unbuttoned the top of his jeans then slowly started to ease the zipper down over hard, throbbing flesh.

This time when Rogue looked up at him, Logan was watching her, his eyes full of desire and wanting. She smiled at him sweetly as she slipped her hands into his jeans at the hips and started to push. Rogue was extra gentle until the garment was passed his swollen cock then she pushed them more forcefully down his legs. Logan kicked them the rest of the way off quickly then returned to his motionless stance in the middle of the room. He swallowed hard as he noticed Rogue staring at his bulge.

Closing the distance between them again, Rogue knelt down in front of him, her hands grabbing his ankles and moving slowly upward, exploring his lower body as she had his upper. The hair on Logan's legs started standing on end as her fingers teased the muscles in his thighs, his gluts straining as he fought not to buck his hips into her face.

Finally she rose to her feet but she wasn't quite finished yet he realized when she stepped forward and reached around him, her hands firmly grabbing his ass. Logan jerked slightly then moaned as his erection pushed into Marie's stomach. She pulled back then, looking up to meet his gaze as her hand slipped around to cup him through his underwear. He tried not to move but when she squeezed him lightly he couldn't stop it.

Rogue slowly shifted her gaze from his face down his body until she was looking again at his straining cock. Finally she hooked her fingers in the waistband of his shorts and started to pull gently until her reward popped out. Ever so slowly she reached out and ran a feather light touch from base to tip.

Logan's knees buckled and he nearly hit to floor with the contact but he managed to remain standing using all of his control.

"Are ya awl right, Logan?" Rogue asked, her voice on the verge of tears she was so concerned.

"I just need to sit down," Logan stated in a rough, shaky voice as he made his way past her to the bed.

Moving slowly Rogue sat down beside him, a guilty expression on her face and tears gleaming in her eyes. "Did Ah hurt ya?"

"Oh, darlin', you didn't hurt me," he assured her quickly. "You are driving me crazy though."

After a moment's consideration, Rogue smiled seductively. "Ah ain't even started," she told him, pushing his shoulders gently, prompting him to lay back on the bed.

Logan did as he was instructed and lowered his back to the saggy mattress beneath him. Almost immediately he felt Rogue's gloved hands on him again, one wrapping firmly around his cock while the other cupped his balls lightly. The rumbling growl that escaped his lips was quite possibly the most exhilarating sound Rogue had ever heard.

"Ya like that don't ya, Logan?" Rogue questioned in a throaty little tone as her hand slid slowly up his length then quickly back down.

"Yes," came the breathless response.

After a few strokes, Rogue switched it around, going up quickly and down slowly. "D'ya like that better?"

"No!"

"Tell me how ya want it, Logan," Rogue instructed in a commanding tone. She actually knew a lot of the things that he liked, being that he'd been in her head, but at the same time it was different. Rogue was still inexperienced and in her quest to please him, she wanted to hear him tell her what to do. "Tell me how ya want me t' touch ya."

"Harder," Logan nearly shouted, every muscle in his hard body tensed with his building passion.

"Like this?" Rogue asked slowly, tightening her hold on his still expanding cock.

"Yes," he replied with a contented growl. "Faster," he ordered next.

Rogue shook her head slowly from side to side. "Ah wan' it t' last, Logan."

It had been quite a while since Logan had been with a woman, not to mention a woman that he actually cared about. The thought that it was Marie, the woman he'd been drawn to since he first laid eyes on her in a smoke filled, fight club bar, that was making him pant and whither with her touch was really speeding things along. Logan had started moving his hips a few moments ago and he knew he couldn't hold out much longer and he didn't want to. "Please, Marie," he begged for the first time he could remember. "Faster, please."

Unwilling to ignore his plea, Rogue increased the speed with which she pumped him and was immediately rewarded with a series of moans and whimpers. She never would have expected the latter from Logan but she'd heard it with her own ears. Rogue chewed on her lower lip as she watched Logan's body reacting to her touch, his hips lifting high off the bed as he pushed himself into her hand, his stomach muscles fluttering as the rest of his muscles tensed, his eyes rolling back in his head. His vocal responses were also getting louder and more urgent as her gloved hand slid up and down his thick, rock-hard member.

"Yer so beautiful," Rogue whispered tenderly, continuing her efforts despite the burning in her arm from the exertion.

Hearing Marie's soft declaration broke down the last of Logan's control. With a primal howl, his entire body tensed becoming as rigid as his penis when Rogue pulled him over the edge into ecstasy. The smell of his own cum assaulted his nostrils and he breathed in the scent knowing that it was because of Marie, it had never smelled sweeter.

After a moment Logan was finally able to open his eyes and immediately noticed that Rogue was still positioned beside him on the bed, a cascade of brown and white hair obscuring her face from him. What was clear however, was the gentle shaking of her shoulders and the sound of small puffs of air escaping her nose. Logan quickly sat up and reached for her arm. "Marie, are you crying?"

Rogue shook her head then ever so slowly turned to face him, the sound of her laughter growing in volume.

Logan's brows wrinkled in confusion when he realized she was laughing, at least until she completed her turn and he saw the cum splattered on her face.

"Ah wadn't expectin' that jus' then," she admitted innocently, trying to blow her hair away from her face, which was stuck in the thick white fluid. Both of her gloves were covered as well so they would be little help.

All Logan could do was stare, his body starting to tighten again at the sight of his fluid covering her face and hands. He watched as she rose from the bed and started across the room.

"Logan?" Rogue called over her shoulder as she headed for the bathroom.

"Yeah, darlin'?" he returned distractedly, watching her strip off her gloves as she walked.

Rogue paused in the doorway and looked back at him with a questioning expression. "Did Ah do awl right?"

Moving from the bed with the grace of a panther, Logan was across the room in a second, his hands falling onto her shoulders. "You did better than all right, Marie. That was amazing."

Smiling self-consciously at the compliment, Rogue tilted her head toward the bathroom. "Ah think Ah'll take a shower unless ya wanna go first."

Logan tried to keep the smile off his face as he looked into Rogue's cum-smeared one. "You go ahead, baby. I think you need it more than I do."

"Ah won't be long," she promised before she turned and entered the bathroom leaving the door open behind her.

From the doorway Logan watched as she stripped down to nothing but skin, his own naked body tightening in response. Knowing it was too much temptation for both of them to be undressed, Logan grabbed his jeans and pulled them on before moving into the bathroom fully. He watched Rogue shower through the nearly clear curtain while he picked up her clothes and started washing them in the sink. "Do you have another pair of gloves you can wear tonight?"

Behind him the water from the shower ceased then the curtain opened and Rogue stepped out, her usually pale skin rosy from the hot water. "Ah've got a couple pairs, although Ah think Ah should keep that pair for nights and use the others fer less messy ventures."

"Sounds like a good idea," Logan agreed disinterestedly, staring at her full breasts and sighing deeply. "Do you know how beautiful you are?"

"Logan," Rogue threatened with a slight twinge of fear, reaching quickly for a towel when he started toward her.

Ignoring the tremble in her voice he moved to within a few inches of her before he stopped. Logan raised both hands and reached for her, stopping millimeters from his skin touching hers, but close enough that she could feel the heat from his body.

Rogue shivered as Logan's hands slid across her body maintaining the infinitesimal distance from her deadly flesh.

Logan wanted nothing more than to rip off his jeans and sink his once again hard and throbbing cock into her. Last night he'd thought the frustration was over, he and Marie loved each other and they were together but now the frustration was even greater than it had been when he was looking for his past and she wasn't with him. Now she was with him but he still couldn't be with her; at least not completely in the way he wanted to be with her. He saw the same level of frustration in her eyes mixed with an equal degree of guilt. Logan moved his hands away from her and quickly moved back into the bedroom to grab a shirt and his gloves, which he pulled on swiftly as he rejoined her.

By the time Logan got back, Rogue had wrapped herself in a towel and was finishing his job of washing her things. He walked to the sink where she was working and pulled her back against his body, nuzzling the back of her neck, protected by her hair. "I'm sorry," he whispered tenderly.

Rogue rolled her head slowly from side to side. "It ain't yer fault, Logan," she whispered, guilt heavy in her tone.

Knowing exactly what the tone meant, Logan loosened his grip and turned her in his arms to face him. "It's not your fault either, Marie," he told her firmly.

Dropping her gaze, Rogue looked away.

"You didn't choose your mutation, Marie, none of us did. It's not your fault and I won't have you blaming yourself for it," Logan continued lovingly but in a firm tone. "We are going to beat this thing, it may take a while but I'm not going anywhere."

Rogue finally shifted her gaze back to him with eyes bright with unshed tears. "Ya promise?"

"Yeah," Logan nodded slowly, "yeah, I promise."

A smile chased the tears from Rogue's eyes as Logan gathered her once again into his arms. After a moment she pulled back and looked up to meet his gaze. "Ya better get a shower, sugah. There're countless men out there jus' waitin' fer ya t' kick their asses."

Logan had to grin at the proud look on her face even though it surprised him a little. "Thanks for lettin' me play tonight."

"Lettin' ya?" Rogue echoed in a humor-filled tone. "Ya make it sound like it was mah decision."

"It was," he nodded slowly before moving toward the shower, stripping off his clothes as he went.

Rogue hung up the last of her clothes and watched in shocked silence as Logan stepped into the shower, giving her a quick smile and a raised brow before closing the curtain and starting the water.


2

From the motel Logan took Marie to a small diner that he knew of so they could share a quiet dinner before they headed for the bars. Like that morning they sat together on the same side of the booth rather than across from each other, their thighs touching lightly. Logan ordered for them both, without even looking at the menu, then sent the waiter packing with a look and a growl as he caught the young man staring at Marie with a leering grin.

Wanting to make it well known to the little prick that she was taken, Logan wrapped an arm around Marie's shoulder and pulled her tightly against him.

Sensing the possessiveness of the action, Rogue lifted a delicate eyebrow demurely. "If Ah didn't know better, sugah, Ah'd think ya's jealous," she teased lightly. "Please tell me that the big, bad Wolverine ain't frettin' over a little boy like that."

Logan flashed her a small, feral smile. "Nope, just markin' my territory."

"Why is it that brings t' mind a picture of a dog peein' on a tree?" Rogue asked with a tilt of her, trying her best to look serious.

"I could have done that," Logan assured her, "but then I'd have to smell it all night and frankly I like the way you smell." As if to prove the statement, he leaned over and sniffed her lightly, his eyes falling closed as a dreamy look overtook his features. "Mmm, my Marie."

Rogue shifted her shoulder slightly, pushing him away. "Stop that, ya old pervert."

"Kid," Logan began doing his best to look hurt, "you just wait ‘til later and I'll show you what a pervert I am."

"Promises, promises," she drawled sexily as she moved a hand to his knee. "Speakin' a later, how long d'ya think we'll be out t'night?"

"I don't know," he shrugged broad shoulders. "If Gage's right about the interest we'll be out pretty late. Why?"

"No reason," Rogue responded quietly, shaking her head and averting her gaze. "Ah's jus' wonderin'."

Logan watched Rogue closely and he knew something was bothering her. "I don't have to fight tonight if you don't want me to."

Turning then to meet his gaze squarely, she offered him a smile. "That's not what Ah's thinkin'," she assured him. "Ah wanna see ya fight t'night. It takes me back t' the first time Ah saw ya."

"Then what is it?" Logan wanted to know.

"It's nothin' really, Ah's jus' wonderin'," Rogue repeated with a slightly nervous chuckle.

"Don't worry, darlin', I won't use up all my energy," Logan assured her suggestively with a wicked grin.

Marie tried her best to look shocked and swatted at him playfully but of course that was exactly what she was thinking about.


Following their meal, they headed out for the first in the string of endless bars the town had to offer. Logan wrapped his fingers tightly around Marie's as they entered the place to loud chanting and screams. He escorted her around the room, glaring at any man who dared venture more than a passing glance, then lead her to the center most table where the old motel owner was sitting nursing a bottle of beer.

"I was startin' to think you'd changed your mind, Wolv," Gage offered with a toothless smile as he sized up the couple again.

"We were just gettin' something to eat," Logan explained as he pulled out a chair for Marie and gestured for her to sit.

"Well," a gruff male voice sounded from behind them, "I guess the old man wasn't entirely delusional."

Rogue had to crane her neck around Logan to see the hulking bear of a man that was speaking. He actually reminded her a lot of the massive beast that worked for Magneto. The man was easily twice the size of Logan but she wasn't too concerned about that, she knew that Logan was more than capable to defending himself and that, combined with his healing ability, made him pretty safe, even from someone like that.

"I told you he was here," Gage insisted frankly.

"You ready to go at, Wolverine?" the man asked in a growling tone as he continued sizing him up.

Logan's face twisted into something of a feral smile then he dipped his head once before starting to shrug out of his jacket. The crowd was already getting into the action, hollering and cheering for the fight about to start. Taking his time, Logan stripped down to his bare chest, tossing his numerous shirts into Marie's lap teasingly, before sitting down beside her to kick off his shoes and pull off his socks. When he was appropriately attired for his bout, Logan leaned over and nuzzled Marie's neck, protected by her hair. "I love you," he whispered before offering her a sexy smile.

Rogue winked as he moved toward the metal cage positioned in the middle of the room, watching her over his shoulder as he went. She let her eyes drift down his bare back to one of his greatest assets, his amazing ass, clad in tight denim.

From the ring, Logan focused his attention on Marie as the announcer introduced the fight. As the bell rang, his huge opponent got in several hard punches before Logan shifted gears, averting his eyes from her to the matter at hand. With a couple of well-placed hooks, the bear hit the ground and stayed there.

As it turned out Gage had been more than right about the interest regarding the competition. In only a few hours, in just one bar, Logan had made more money then he had on some of his best nights in two or three places. If it hadn't been that he had something specific in mind for his winnings, he would have been content to call it a night as they left the first bar. Still Marie seemed to be having an okay time chatting with Gage, so the old man accompanied them to the next run-down building a few blocks away. Once again the response was unbelievable and Logan left almost doubling his winnings from the first stop.

"Damn, boy, you're on fire tonight," Gage muttered as they walked toward their third and final stop.

Logan just shrugged and wrapped his arm tighter around Marie's shoulder, pulling her closer.

Being that the hour was getting late and there were more men drunker than they were smart at the third bar, Logan made another killing, not literally -- although one of his opponents did have to be taken to the hospital.

Rogue smiled at him sweetly when he returned to the table to dress after his fights. With his shirts and shoes back on, Rogue was about to rise from her seat, knowing he didn't want to hang around, when his hand landed on her shoulder.

"I'll be back in a few minutes," Logan told her softly. "I have some business to take care of."

Curious as to what sort of business Logan had since he wasn't heading in the direction of the bathrooms, Rogue turned in her seat and watched him making his way toward the balding, beer-bellied man in one corner of the room. She kept her gaze locked on him as Logan stopped at the man's table and spoke to him briefly before sitting down. Logan and the man had a short conversation before a rather large sum of cash was handed over to the fat man now leering in Rogue's direction and saying something she figured was probably lewd.

Logan picked up a set of keys off the table then quickly pulled back his arm before pounding his fist into the face of the man in front of him. The sound of something hitting metal resounded through the bar as Logan turned and moved back toward his table. "Let's go," he growled roughly, pausing to pull out Marie's chair.

"What was that awl ‘bout?" Rogue asked him as they made their way outside.

"Misunderstanding," Logan muttered tightly, veering off from the direction in which they'd come.

Rogue paused and turned to watch him for a minute. "Where're ya goin?"

"To get my truck," he informed her before moving back to where she stopped and taking her hand. "C'mon."

"Yer truck? What truck?"

Logan pulled her to a stop beside a very old, run-down looking pick-up with a camper that reminded her quite a bit of the one he'd been driving when they first meet. "You said you wanted to see my face and be able to talk to me while we're driving," he reminded her. "I just need to stop and pick up the trailer for the bike."

Rogue stared at him in wonder for a beat before wrapping her arms around him and hugging him tightly. "Ya jus' keep surprisin' me, Logan."

"That's the plan, darlin'."


The next day Logan and Marie started for New York again, this time in the truck with an old camper and an even older trailer. The trailer was pretty rickety but it held the weight of Scott's bike easy enough and seemed sturdy enough to make the trip. The truck ran well despite it's rundown exterior but the camper was another story. It was worse inside than it was out, like the camper she remembered when Logan first picked her up, the innards were gone leaving nothing but a shell. That was fine for him but he wanted to make it more comfortable for Marie.

Pulling into the first large town they came across, they went shopping. Logan purchased the pillows, sheets and such that Rogue picked out as well as a couple of folding chairs that they could use either inside the camper or outside. Finally he made one last stop and bought an extremely comfortable, very expensive mattress. The thing barely fit on the floor of the camper, taking up all the available space. Rogue tried to convince him to get something smaller but he insisted that she sleep on the best.

Logan drove for the most part with Rogue pressed tightly against his side, her hand resting lightly on his thigh. They talked a lot, mostly about nothing in particular. By the time night started to fall Logan pulled off on an obviously deserted, overgrown side road and parked.

"So," Logan began as he turned off the ignition and turned slightly in the seat to look at Rogue, "you ready to test out that mattress and see if it's worth the price I paid?"

Rogue looked up at him from beneath her eyelashes. "Wha' d'ya have in mind?"

Without responding Logan opened the driver's side door and slid out of the truck, pulling Marie out with him. Smiling at her lecherously, he slammed the door shut then moved forward, grabbing her around the waist and lifting her up onto his shoulder. "Let me show you."

Squealing in surprise, Rogue did the only thing she could from her position, she grabbed his ass and held on.

Logan carried her to the back of the pickup, opened the camper door, carefully tossed her inside, then crawled in after her on his hands and knees, growling provocatively as he moved.

Rogue chewed on her lower lip as she watched him advancing on her … then passed her. She turned onto her side to watch him as he crawled up to the front of the camper and peeled off his jackets tossing them aside.

"I have a surprise for you," he announced then, fishing in one of the bags he'd bought at the store for a moment before quickly jamming something Rogue couldn't quite see into the pocket of his jeans. When she didn't respond, Logan turned around and moved back to her side, stretching out next to her. "Lay back," he instructed hoarsely, taking her by the shoulders and guiding her onto her back. "Close your eyes."

Rising an eyebrow at the command, Rogue none the less complied, closing her eyes.

Logan just studied her face for a moment, her eyes closed, her lips slightly parted in anticipation. Finally he pulled the item he'd hidden from his pocket, a smile growing on his face.

The surprising tickle of something soft and light brushed against Rogue's skin and her eyes snapped open with a start. Logan's face was only slightly distorted by the thin, pale pink scarf that rested over her face. Rogue's eye widened and beneath the fabric she licked her lips as Logan leaned down against her and pressed his lips to hers.

The kiss was soft and gentle and lasted only a moment before Logan pulled back and met Marie's gaze. "I've wanted to do that for as long as I can remember," he announced tenderly.

Rogue shivered at the honesty in his tone. "So've Ah," she returned breathlessly. "Do it again."

Smiling Logan obeyed her command, once again covering her lips with his own. This time he applied more pressure, opening his mouth slightly to taste her through the thin barrier. Rogue copied his actions, her upper lip slipping between his while she sucked on his lower lip.

Both their hearts were pounding wildly as their tongues fought through the scarf and their hands started to wander. Logan's fingers deftly worked the buttons on her shirt as hers dug into his back in the most arousing fashion.

Marie's shirt finally unbuttoned and the front closure of her bra unhooked, Logan shifted the scarf slightly, trailing kisses down her neck as his gloved hands worked on her breasts.

Closing her eyes again, Rogue sighed heavily at the feel of Logan's lips on her skin, or as close to her skin as was possible. Her hands continued to roam over his back and chest as she shifted one knee up tightly between his legs. Logan's moan sent shivers down her spine as his hot breath warmed the wet spot on her collarbone.

"Marie," he breathed in her ear in that sexy growling tone that made her melt. Logan rolled his hips a little, pressing the evidence of his arousal more tightly against her leg as he pulled the scarf down a little further, covering her chest before lowering his head again.

Rogue arched her back completely off the mattress at the feel of the moist heat enveloping her breast. "Logan," she sighed sharply, her fingers tightening reflexively on his ass where they'd momentarily settled.

Through the flimsy material of the scarf, Logan suckled her breast lovingly, occasionally biting down lightly on her nipple. He revered the taste of her skin, thankful that he could taste her through the necessary barrier. When Marie seemed used to the sensation he moved to her other breast and started the attention over again.

Her mind muddled with new stimuli, Rogue slid her hands up Logan's back and into his hair, holding him tightly against her as she watched him work. The sight of his tongue laving her through the more or less flesh colored fabric, she could almost imagine that nothing was separating them.

As Logan continued his oral assault on her breasts, his hand started to move downward. He couldn't help but smile against her chest when Marie's legs parted for him instantly. He pressed his hand firmly against the heated apex between her thighs for only a moment before he moved his hand.

Rogue grunted in protest at the loss of contact but she understood the reason behind it when she felt Logan fiddling with the buttons on her fly. A moment later his hand slipped down the front of her pants and panties, her body convulsing as his fingers brushed her sensitive clit. Hissing out her breath, Rogue closed her eyes again, no longer able to keep them open.

Logan brought her to orgasm once with his hand down the front of her pants before he stopped to remove the garment thus allowing him better access. He practically ripped the jeans from her body and he would have too if he hadn't had to stop to take off her shoes. Her panties were another story all together. Logan had shifted down her body to take off her pants and moving back up to straddle her thighs, his hands at her hips, a single claw from each hand sprang out and split the lace garment at the side seams. It wasn't until after he did it that Logan thought about it. So he'd buy extra underwear at their next stop he thought as he peeled away the remains of the panties.

Her chest heaving, Rogue watched Logan cut off her panties and like the nightgown from a couple of nights ago, it turned her on to no end. Vowing to buy extra underwear at their next stop, she focused her full attention again on her lover.

The smell of arousal was thick in the confines of the camper and Logan's nostrils flared widely to take it in. His body was on fire as he stared down at the woman beneath him, the wet flesh-tone scarf still covering her breasts and part of her stomach. Licking his lips, Logan grabbed the edge of the accessory and pulled it slowly down her body. Once it was properly positioned, Logan looked up and met her curious gaze. Raising his left eyebrow as high as it would go, he gave her a lecherous smile before leaning down and burying his face between her legs.

Rogue's breath caught in her throat and she whimpered loudly as her hips bucked against him. "Oh GAWD! LOGAN!"

Logan worked her with everything he had at his disposal, lips, tongue, and teeth. He couldn't get enough of the taste of her. He already brought her to multiple orgasms and he felt another quickly building. Moving his hands to her bucking hips, Logan grabbed them firmly to halt the motion then pulled her more tightly against his mouth.

Her head rolling back and forth in complete and utter ecstasy, Rogue was loudly vocalizing her pleasure until she could no longer even make a sound. Her body convulsed violently against Logan's talented mouth and finally he brought the erotic assault to an end. Rogue opened her eyes as the weight of his body left her and she saw him close his own eyes and lick his lips with the most incredibly contented look on his face.

Rogue took advantage of his momentary lapse and moved to get something to put on, her entire body still trembling. She found her long johns at the top of her bag and dragged them out along with a different pair of gloves. With Logan staring at her silently, she pulled on the horrific garments, tucking the bottom of the pants into her socks and pulling the long sleeves down over her stained black gloves. When she was fully covered, Rogue walked on her knees to where Logan was kneeling. A fire burning in her eyes to match that in his, she reached out and started peeling off the various shirts that he always wore. She sighed when she finally reached bare skin -- his chest was such an amazing thing. Looking up at him from under her lashes, Rogue reached for his belt and quickly released the hook before doing the same to the button and zipper of his jeans. She eased them and his briefs down to his thighs before prompting him to lay back with a gentle push.

Logan obeyed the silent command and lowered himself onto the mattress behind him. He watched as Marie pulled off his shoes, like he had done to her before, then finished divesting him of his pants. As soon as she tossed the garment aside, Logan reached for it, once again fishing in a front pocket. "Here," he said gruffly, offering her a small square package.

Taking the item, Rogue stared at it for a minute then looked at Logan.

"It's less messy," he responded to her unspoken question.

Smiling, Rogue nodded as she opened the wrapper and pulled out the rubber disk. Carefully she rolled the latex down the length of his ridged staff, watching his face contort in pleasure at her touch. Without any prompting, Rogue wrapped her slim fingers around the organ and began a steady rhythm. She held him firmly like she knew he liked, pumping him faster than she wanted to, watching until he closed his eyes. Once he had, she shifted, lowering her head to engulf his throbbing cock. She could feel every vein, every bump, through the thin rubber covering him and once again she could almost imagine that there was nothing between them.

Like Rogue before him, Logan's eyes snapped open at the hot, moistness that suddenly enveloped him. He watched in awe as Marie pulled him into her mouth, her tongue rubbing in maddening little patterns. Logan cut loose with a deep, rumbling growl that made Rogue pause and look at him, her mouth still surrounding the head of his penis.

After staring at Logan for half a second she knew that growl was a good one and she continued, watching him as she worked him. Rogue was surprised by the sounds he made after that, they were more whimpers and moans than the usual growls and groans.

Logan was finding it increasingly hard to think straight as Rogue sucked on him. His hands wound tightly into the sheets on either side of his hips, his knuckles white with strain. Within a few minutes it was over and he was shouting Marie's name as his world shattered apart.

Rogue sat back and watched his expression change as he came down from the mountain of ecstasy. She smiled at him coyly when he opened his eyes and met her gaze.

Grinning at the sudden look of confidence on Marie's face, Logan reached up and pulled her down beside him. He snuggled against her back, spooning around her and holding her tightly to his still heaving chest. "Jesus, Marie," he breathed lightly against her ear, "that was … I don't think I can even find the right word at this moment."

"Ah know how that is," she assured him, running her gloved hands over his arms. "That scarf was a brilliant idea."

Logan chuckled. "Yeah, well I guess that doesn't say much about my intelligence since it wasn't exactly my brain's idea."

Rogue laughed with him. "Ah don't care which brain ya's thinkin' with, keep thinkin' like that."

"Of that you can be sure, darlin'," Logan nodded, grabbing the blankets they bought and pulling them over them. Zapped from the long day of driving and satiated from their previous sexual activities, Logan and Marie quickly fell asleep, curled in each other's arms.


3

It took them nearly a week to get home since every time Rogue said an upcoming town or landmark sounded interesting, Logan pulled over to show it to her. They spent their days with Logan driving and Marie snuggled up close, nestled under his arm. Their nights were spent on secluded back roads in a tangle of limbs, Logan always naked and Rogue always covered from head to toe.

They exchanged a glance as Logan pulled into the long driveway that led to their home. The huge mansion loomed in the distance as the formidable gate came into view. Without even having to announce their return, the metal barrier started to swing open for them.

"Ah guess the surprise is ruined," Rogue offered aloud, knowing that the professor or Jean must have sensed them getting close.

"Looks like," Logan agreed with a nod.

By the time he pulled the truck up and parked outside the front of the house, Xavier, Ororo, Jean and Scott were all waiting for them outside. As soon as the truck stopped Scott was already in motion, moving to the trailer and checking over his beloved motorcycle.

Jean rolled her eyes and shook her head slightly at her fiancé before turning her attention back to Rogue and Logan. They both exited on the driver's side of the pickup, coming around the front together, hand in hand. Jean wasn't surprised and just smiled at the pair.

Likewise Professor Xavier accepted the situation as what it was and smiled, glad that the two were happy. Ororo looked a little surprised but her expression quickly changed to mark her approval. Scott, who was overjoyed to have his bike back and in excellent condition, moved back to give Logan a piece of his mind about stealing his pride and joy. He stopped suddenly, the smile falling from his face as he caught sight of Rogue and Logan holding hands, and not in a brotherly/sisterly sort of way.

Sensing the direction his thoughts were going Jean moved to stand in front of Scott. "Why don't we take a ride?" she suggested firmly, lifting her chin toward his newly returned bike and pushing lightly on his chest.

Scott would have protested except that it had been so long since he'd felt Jean pressed tightly to his back, her arms wrapped firmly around his waist. He glared at Logan for a beat from behind his ruby-quartz glasses then stepped back, turning to make his way again to the back of the trailer.

The rest of the group watched in silence as Scott unloaded the bike and he and Jean climbed on.

"You're gonna need some gas," Logan shouted as Scott kicked the motorcycle to life.

Checking the gauge to find that it was almost completely empty, Scott flicked his gaze back to Logan. "You son-of-a-b…"

"Scott," Jean admonished quickly, cutting off the rest of the curse.

Logan smirked at the exchange between the couple -- Scott really was whipped.

"Logan," Rogue warned in the exact same tone of voice.

Immediately the grin fell from his face. Okay so maybe he was whipped too but he didn't care because for the first time that he could remember he was happy.

"Why don't the two of you get settled while Scott and Jean enjoy their ride," the professor suggested to Logan and Rogue. "Perhaps we could all catch up over dinner?"

"That'd be nice," Rogue returned with a smile. She'd been gone for less than two weeks but she had still missed everyone.

"I look forward to it," Ororo said, grinning at the couple before returning to the house.

"Then it's settled," Xavier announced, clearly pleased. "Let me know if there is anything you need help with."

Logan nodded after him then looked to Marie once he was gone. "This is gonna be one hell of a dinner."

Rogue just smiled as she started toward the back of the camper to get their things. He was right of course, dinner was the going to be their first test but she was confident that they'd pass.

It didn't take long for them to carry the few personal possessions each owned into the house. As they unpacked their clothes and sorted them into the dresser, Rogue wondered again briefly if they should have talked to Professor Xavier about them sharing a room. She was pretty sure that he'd probed deep enough into their minds to know that they were together but she didn't know how he would feel about them living together. Rogue's mind was so occupied running circles around her thoughts that she paused in her work, staring at the wall blankly.

Noticing her pensive expression from her side, Logan poked her gently with his elbow. "What are you thinking about so hard?"

Before Rogue could respond, they were interrupted by a soft knock on the door. Obviously a little put out by the intrusion, Logan growled under his breath as he moved to the door and quickly ripped it open.

"Uh, hi," the slightly familiar teenage girl stuttered, surprised by the scowl on Logan's face. "Is Rogue here?"

"Kitty?" Rogue questioned, moving around Logan so she could see her friend.

"Welcome home, Rogue, it's good to see you," Kitty greeted with a smile.

"Come on, Kitty," a muffled voice sounded from the hallway, "this thing isn't exactly light."

Kitty's expression turned apologetic as she glanced down the hallway. "Right, sorry. Uh, the professor sent us up with your mattress," she said nervously, looking from Rogue to Logan as she stepped out of the way.

"Go ahead and bring it in," Logan instructed as he moved over to the bed and flipped the current mattress off onto the floor.

Rogue stepped back out of the doorway as Bobby and John carried the huge thing into the room, both obviously straining to keep it upright. Finally they were close enough and simply let the thing fall, landing haphazardly on the box springs. Logan moved forward and helped the teens adjust the mattress while across the room Rogue was catching up with her former roommate.

"So how was your trip?" Kitty asked with great interest. "I'm surprised you're back so soon."

"It was great," Rogue assured her with a broad smile. "Ah didn't really expect t' be back so soon mahself."

Kitty arched an eyebrow at the excited smile on her friend's face then noticed that the boys were moving back toward them. "We'll have to catch up later, Rogue," she told her as Bobby and John stopped beside them.

"Absolutely," Rogue agreed, nodding rapidly. "Hi, Bobby, John. Thanks fer brin' up the mattress."

"Not a problem," Bobby insisted smoothly, which instantly earning him a sharp look of warning from Logan. "We'll see ya later," he said quickly, grabbing John's arm and pushing him toward the door. "Welcome home, Rogue."

"Yeah, welcome home, Rogue," John's voice rose in volume as Bobby pushed him further down the hall.

"Welcome home to you too, Logan," Kitty offered in a friendly tone before giving Rogue a smile and turning away from the room.

Rogue closed the door behind Kitty then turned to look at Logan sitting on the foot of the bed. He was staring at her intently, his eyes dark and piercing. "What?"

Logan just continued to stare at her for a moment before shaking his head slightly and dropping his gaze to the floor below his feet.

Knowing that there was something wrong, Rogue moved from the doorway to the bed, stopping directly in front of Logan, only a foot or so from him. "What's wrong, Logan?" she asked softly, reaching out to gently cup his cheek with her gloved hand.

Still shaking his head, his eyes locked on the hard wood floor, Logan responded. "Are you sure this is what you want, Marie?"

A silk encased hand shifted from his cheek down to his chin and slowly lifted his face up to look at her. "Ya know it is, Logan. Why d'ya doubt that awl the sudden?" As Rogue paused to let him answer, a horrible thought flashed through her mind. "Is this what YOU want?" she turned the question around, fearing that he was the one having second thoughts.

Immediately Logan's hands came up to her hips, pulling her closer. "I've never wanted anything more," he assured her, his tone bordering on panic as though he sensed her thoughts.

"Neither've Ah, sugah," Rogue replied honestly.

"It's just…" Logan's voice trailed off and once again his eyes dropped to the floor causing the top of his head to brush her chest.

"Jus' what?" she asked softly. She had never seen Logan like this and it scared her because she had thought she knew him so well.

"You deserve so much better, Marie," he stated quietly. "You deserve someone…"

"Ah don't wan' somethin' better, Logan," Rogue interrupted sharply, hoping to draw his attention. When he looked up again and met her gaze, she continued. "Ah want YOU, ya big dummy."

"But…"

Rogue's hand came up, her fingers pressing lightly to his lips to cut him off. "No buts. D'ya think that Ah don't think ya deserve someone better? Someone that ya can touch an' who can touch ya without havin' t' worry that she could kill ya with one little slip."

Logan stared into her eyes for a long moment before he responded. "I just love you so much that I want you to be happy, Marie."

"Ah am happy, Logan. Ya make me happier than Ah've ever been an' one day Ah hope Ah can make ya jus' as happy," Rogue told him on the verge of tears.

"You do make me happy, darlin'," Logan insisted fiercely. "Haven't you noticed?"

Rogue smiled coyly. "Well ya have been smilin' an awful lot lately."

"More like grinnin' like an idiot," he corrected with a chuckle. "Marie, you're threatening to turn me into a pansy."

"Well we can't let that happen, now can we?" Rogue asked with a giggle.

Logan shook his head in response to the question. "You know that's not the only sign of how happy I am," he said pointedly, wrapping his arms around Marie's waist and pulling her down onto the bed with him as he laid back.

Rogue shifted against him, feeling the sign that he was obviously alluding to. "That ain't happy, sugah," she insisted with a grin, "that's horny."

Quickly Logan rolled over, pinning Rogue beneath him. "That's the same thing in my book," he said as his hands roamed the familiar territory of her curves.

Before Rogue could reciprocate, another hesitant knock at the door interrupted them. Logan growled loudly, no doubt loud enough to be heard out in the hallway, as he dropped his head to Rogue's shoulder. After another second he lifted it again and rolled off of her reluctantly, another frustrated growl escaping his lips.

"Come in," Rogue called as she sat up and fixed her half-opened blouse.

The door opened very slowly and like before Kitty stuck her head in hesitantly. "Um, sorry to intrude again but the guys forgot the old mattress," the teen stammered as Bobby and John appeared in the doorway beside her.

"Well get it then get the hell out!" Logan snapped as he rose from the bed.

John and Bobby exchanged a glance then did as they were told; practically sprinting across the room to the where the old mattress rested on the floor. Neither of the boys failed to notice the state the older man was in and both were careful to keep their eyes away from Rogue. The last thing they needed was an obviously aroused Wolverine thinking they were looking at his girl, and when they left the last time they unanimously decided that she was. Bobby had already received one harsh look, which was why they forgot the mattress in the first place.

From the doorway, Kitty also noticed Logan's tighter than usual pants, her eyes widening at the sight, but she also noticed Rogue's mussed up hair and the fact that her blouse was buttoned crookedly. Now she really couldn't wait to talk to Rogue alone. Kitty finally turned her attention away from Rogue when Bobby and John moved out into the hallway with the mattress they'd replaced earlier. "Sorry again," she apologized as she pulled the door behind her, quickly closing it.

"Well Ah guess we don't have t' worry ‘bout makin' an announcement," Rogue teased with a smirk, dropping her gaze to Logan's erection.

"Well it ain't just my fault," he returned, grinning as he gestured with his own eyes to her miss-buttoned shirt.

With a smile, Rogue shrugged. "Oh well, least it wadn't Jubilee. She'd be loud enough to inform the entire school at once."

Logan nodded his agreement with a smile of his own and started toward her again. He hadn't gone more than a couple of feet when the door across the room flew opened without warning.

"Hey, Rogue," Jubilee greeted excitedly as she moved into the room looking around carefully. As soon as she saw Logan she stopped. "Damn," she muttered, staring openly, "I guess they weren't kidding. Sorry to interrupt, Wolvie," Jubilee concluded with a wink before she left the room.

Even with the door closed Rogue and Logan could hear the Asian teen shouting out warnings about disturbing the recently returned Wolverine and his woman.


By the time Logan and Rogue finally worked off their frustration from all the interruptions, showered and made their way down stairs, everyone else was already waiting in the Professor's private dining room. Logan took the seat beside Ororo and across from Jean, leaving Rogue to sit beside the professor, across from Scott.

"I hope everyone's hungry," Xavier said as they took their places.

"Ah'm starving," Rogue said quickly, brushing Logan's thigh purposely with the back of her hand as she grabbed her chair to pull it closer to the table.

"So am I," Logan agreed, capturing Marie's hand in his as she released her chair. Wrapping his fingers around hers, he lowered their intertwined hands to his leg, pressing hers lightly into his thigh.

Charles smiled then picked up a platter of food and started it around the table. Logan released Marie's hand long enough so they could each fill their plates but as soon as the food had been passed around, he took it again, returning it to his leg.

Noticing that Scott was watching him closely, Logan locked eyes with him. "I hope you found your bike in good shape."

Scott glared at the older man for a moment before glancing at Jean then softening his expression. "Aside from it being out of gas," he snapped sharply.

Logan nodded slowly. "Well getting the truck happened kind of suddenly or I would have filled the tank," he assured him almost apologetically. "Thanks for letting me use it."

"Letting you?" Scott shouted incredulously as he dropped his fork to his plate with a loud clang. "You stole it, Logan."

"I brought it back," Logan growled in response.

"Yes you did," Jean interrupted calming while giving Scott a pointed look as though telling him to drop it.

"But ya really shoulda asked first," Rogue added evenly, giving Logan almost the same look.

"Next time I'll ask," Logan stated reluctantly, looking across the table again at Scott before extending his hand toward him.

Scott stared at it for a moment before finally taking it and shaking it firmly. "I guess you did take good care of it."

"Is the war over?" Ororo asked from her position at the end of the table. "I do not want to start eating if there is going to be blood shed."

"Indeed," Xavier agreed with a small chuckle as everyone started to eat. "Logan, perhaps you could be persuaded to share with us the discoveries you made in Canada."

"There's not much to share," Logan returned matter-of-factly.

Rogue's fingers tightened comfortingly on his thigh and his own hand returned the pressure.

"You didn't learn anything about your past at all?" Jean asked disappointedly.

Logan met her gaze briefly with a shake of his head. "No, not really. I do know that whatever they did happened there at Alkali Lake but they were real damn careful about covering their tracks. I did learn something else too," he continued glancing at Marie and once again increasing the pressure on her hand. "I learned that there are more important things in life than searching for a past that can't be changed."

"That is very insightful, Logan," Ororo offered glancing back and forth between him and Rogue.

"Yeah well, no one ever said that I'm as dumb as I look," Logan returned. "At least not to my face," he added quickly looking to Scott.

For his part, Scott averted his eyes.

"Well it is nice to have you back with us," Ororo said honestly. If nothing else Wolverine was a hell of a fighter and with the growing unrest, they needed all the help they could get. "You too, Rogue. I have missed our little chats while you were away."

Rogue smiled at the older woman who'd befriended her after Logan's departure. "Thanks, it's nice t' be home an' Ah missed ‘em too."

"Uh," Jean began then paused to clear her throat. "Scott and I have some news. We've set a date."

"A date?" Logan snorted humorously. "You've been going out for how long and you announce a date like it's a big thing."

"It is when it's the date of our wedding," Jean retorted sharply.

"Really?" Rogue asked excitedly. "When?"

"October 17," Jean stated happily, smiling broadly at her fiancé.

"That's wonderful," Rogue cried, pleased for the couple. "Congratulations, both a ya."

"Thank you," Jean accepted graciously. "Rogue, I was hoping that you'd be one of my bride's maids."

A wide-eyed Rogue could only stare at the woman across the table from her. "Ah … Ah dunno wha' t' say," she finally managed.

"Say yes," Scott suggested hopefully. "We'd both like you to be a part of the wedding."

Rogue looked to Logan only to find him staring at her intently. He gave her a little smile that spoke volumes as he squeezed her hand under the table. "Ah'd love t' be in yer weddin'," she finally said with a broad smile. "Thank ya."

"Ororo and I have a coupe of different dresses picked out to choose from but we wanted to wait for you to get back before we made a final decision," Jean informed her with the excitement of a bride to be. "Maybe we could take a look at them later."

"That'd be nice," Rogue nodded.

The rest of the meal was spent laying out the plans that had been made so far and discussing what was still to be decided. Through it all, Rogue and Logan continued holding hands under the table, not to mention starting a marathon game of footsies.

The group was almost finished eating when Scott glanced across the table and noticed Logan staring openly at Rogue with a half-smile on his face while she was concentrating on yet another wedding detail with Jean. The image of the two of them holding hands in front of the beat up truck they'd arrived in returned to Scott's mind and it brought a scowl to his face.

Sensing his change in mood, Jean turned to Scott as he stared across the table at the distracted Logan with growing anger. Before she could stop him, Scott opened his mouth and spoke in a low but commanding voice. "What the hell are you doing?"

"Scott," Jean admonished quickly, wrapping her hand around his right biceps to try and silence him.

"No, Jean," he said shaking his head, his voice growing in volume. "I want to know what the hell he's doing."

Logan finally shifted his gaze from Marie to Scott, his expression hardening as he did so. "You got a problem, bub?"

"You're damn right I do," Scott shouted angrily. "Jesus Christ, Logan, its one thing to make the moves on a woman who is engaged but it's something else entirely to try to seduce a teenager."

"Scott, honey, please," Jean pleaded softly. "Don't do this."

"Someone has to, Jean," he returned sharply before looking to Professor Xavier. "I can't just sit here and let him do this."

"You don't have a choice, Slim," Logan informed him abruptly. "Marie doesn't need your permission and I sure as shit don't."

Scott was out of his chair in an instant, storming around the table and grabbing Logan by the arm. "If no one else is going to do anything about this, than I will," he shouted irately, pulling Logan to his feet.

Not one that liked being manhandled, Logan spun around quickly, his fighting instincts taking over as he dropped into a crouch and clenched his fists.

"Scott," Jean cried sharply.

"Stop it!" Rogue shouted harshly as she jumped to her feet; her voice trembling under the weight of unshed tears. "Please, jus' stop. We didn't wan' it t' be this way."

Logan shifted immediately out of his fighting stance and moved toward Marie. Wrapping his arms around her waist, he pulled her tightly against his chest as her tears started to fall. "I'm sorry, Marie," he whispered into the hair surrounding her ear as his hands rubbed at her back. "Don't cry, darlin'," he pleaded tenderly, dropping a kiss onto the top of her head as she buried her face in his chest.

Stunned by Logan's actions and shocked speechless by the tenderness in his tone and manner, Scott just stared at them as Logan continued to sooth Rogue.

{{He really loves her, Scott}}

Jean's voice in his head finally snapped him out of his astonishment. Scott closed his mouth, which had been hanging open in shock, and continued to watch Logan comfort the young woman in his arms. It was very plain to see his feelings for Rogue. Shifting his gaze from the couple, Scott looked to the professor, who was watching him closely, a non-judgmental expression on his placid features. Next his gaze shifted to Jean, who was shaking her head lightly from side to side, her voice playing in his head. When he could no longer take the disappointment in her eyes, he glanced at Ororo. She was fixated on Logan and Rogue, her cheeks wet with tears.

"C'mon, darlin'," Logan said softly, shifting Marie in his arms so that she was more to his side then pulled her into motion.

"Logan," Scott called his voice still sharp. When the other man stopped and turned back toward him there was a look of complete rage on his features but it was still more appealing than the tear-stained face of the young woman he held. "Rogue, I'm sorry," he apologized gently. "It's not my place to comment. I can … I can see how much you care about each other and I don't have any right to say anything. I'm sorry."

"That's right," Rogue returned with a sniffle, "ya don't. Ah know ya're only tryin' t' protect me but Ah don' need protectin' from Logan. He loves me an' Ah love him. We ain't gonna let anythin' stand in our way a bein' t'gether," she vowed. "Not any of y'all or even mah mutation. We will be t'gether."

Jean and Xavier looked to each other at the mention of Rogue's mutation. A silent conversation took place in a matter of seconds as their eyes locked and their minds twined together in the purest form of communication.

Having finished his discussion with Jean, Charles Xavier rolled his wheelchair away from the table and over beside Logan and Rogue. "I assure you that no one here will attempt to stand in your way."


4

Rogue heaved a frustrated sigh as she exited the professor's office. For the last month and a half, ever since she and Logan returned from Canada, he'd been working with her on attempting to build mental barriers that could help block her mutation. It wasn't much of a surprise that today's session had been as successful as the previous forty but it was still a disappointment.

True to his word, Logan was standing beside her but despite the fact that she knew he loved her, she wondered how much longer that would last. They were both frustrated by their lack of progress but Logan still seemed confident that it would happen in time. Rogue on the other hand was starting to doubt that things would ever change.

{{Rogue}} Jean's excited voice sounded in her head {{could you please come to the lab}}

Releasing a sharp breath through her nose, Rogue turned and headed for the elevator to the lower levels. {Great, jus' what Ah need is s'more weddin' bullshit! Ah've got thin's on mah mind too, ya know.} She quickly pushed those thoughts aside as she rode in the silent lift to Jean's lab. Rogue did wonder briefly why she'd been summoned there but then remembered that the doctor was in the process of giving physicals to the team members and with Logan's influence, she was now in training.

"Ya wanted t' see me?" Rogue questioned as she entered the sterile white room that served as a medical bay.

"Rogue, yes," Jean agreed eagerly, quickly gesturing her over to the area where she was working. "Come over and have a seat."

Rogue did as she was instructed, sitting on the vacate stool beside the one Jean occupied. She waited patiently while the doctor finished whatever it was she was doing.

Jean finally turned to her with a broad, excited smile. "Thanks for coming so quickly."

"Ah jus' finished mah session with the professor," Rogue informed her flatly by way of an explanation.

"Any luck?" Jean asked without thinking. If she had she would have known that there was no reason to ask.

Rogue's face contorted into something close to rage. "Yeah, that's why Ah'm in such a great mood," she snapped bitterly, bounding from the stool she'd just sat down on. "Whatever ya need will jus' have t' wait, Jean. Ah ain't in the mood."

Realizing her mistake, Jean rose from her own chair and ran after the younger woman. She took her arm carefully and pulled her to a stop before turning her around. "I'm sorry, Rogue, I wasn't thinking."

"Obviously," Rogue retorted crisply. "Look, Ah don't wanna be mean so would ya jus' lemme go an' we can do this another time?"

"I think I have something that will put you in a better mood," Jean stated slowly, her tone calming into a more professional level. "Please just have a seat?"

Against her better judgment, Rogue returned to the stool and sat down.

Smiling Jean followed, resuming her seat before turning to face the young woman. "I think I found something," she said without further explanation.

"Somethin' fer what?" Rogue demanded her nerves still on edge.

Jean took a deep breath and released it slowly. "For the last month and a half I've been working on finding a solution to your problem and I think I've found something."

Hope danced in Rogue's eyes but only for the briefest of moments before it vanished. "Why didn't ya tell me that ya's workin' on this?" she demanded her tone sharp with anger.

"I'm sorry," Jean apologized softly. "I didn't want to get your hopes up until I found something."

"And now ya have?" Rogue asked more calmly.

‘Yeah, I think so," the doctor nodded. "I used your DNA to incubate a few test samples and I've had some very promising results."

Rogue took in the information she was being given but she refused to get her hopes up. There was too much that could go wrong and she was already frustrated enough.

Jean was truly disappointed by her lack of enthusiasm but she couldn't really blame her. "I've done about all I can do with the samples. I'd like to run a few trials on you, if you're willing."

With a silent nod, Rogue gave her consent. For the next three hours, she sat there, being poked and prodded and pinched while Jean made notes and mumbled to herself in medical jargon. Rogue was quickly losing her patience, due mainly to the lateness of the hour and the fact that she hadn't slept well the night before. Usually she didn't mind losing sleep but last night it hadn't had anything to do with a certain hot Canadian so it wasn't the usual. She was about to tell Jean she'd had enough when the door across the bay opened and the aforementioned hot Canadian entered.

"There you are," Logan called to Marie from the doorway, a broad smile on his handsome features. "Thought you could hide down here, did ya?"

Quickly Rogue jumped off the examination table she'd been sitting on and pulled on the glove that Jean had removed. "Ah wadn't hidin'. Jean, we can finish this in the mornin', right?"

"Sure," Jean called over her shoulder absently; her attention focused mainly on the screen in front of her.

"Something wrong, darlin'?" Logan asked as they made their way out of the infirmary into the corridor.

Rogue gave him her best smile and shook her head. "No, nothin's wrong. Jus' the usual physical stuff," she lied carefully. Rogue hated not telling Logan the truth but she didn't want to get his hopes up either. She'd tell him when there was something definitive to say.

"Good," Logan returned with a nod, grinning mischievously as a wicked gleam shined in his hazel eyes. "I have a surprise for you."

"What kinda surprise?" she questioned coyly. Rogue knew he wouldn't tell her but she also knew that didn't matter because he had that look in his eyes and she knew it would be good.

Logan just arched an eyebrow, his smile broadening as he pulled her into the elevator, then wrapped his arms around her. "You'll see soon enough," he said playfully, letting his hands starting to explore.

With a sigh, Rogue shifted her hips across his and was rewarded with a loud moan as Logan tugged her more tightly to him.

When the elevator opened, Logan led Rogue out far enough to assure that there was no one in the hallway before pulling her to a stop and turning her around to face him. She was about to question him when his hands smoothed down her back and over her ass. Leaning forward slightly, Logan curled his hands behind her thighs and picked her up, dragging her up his hard body until she could wrap her legs around his waist. He carried her like that to their room, his eyes locked on hers. It wasn't like he needed to pay attention to where he was going anyway. As they walked, Rogue's gloved hands roamed his shoulders, chest and back.

Upon reaching their door, Logan slowly lowered her back to her feet, carefully making sure she felt his obvious arousal. With one hand on the doorknob and the other still cupped around a butt cheek, Logan opened the door and backed her inside before closing the door behind them.

Rogue paused as soon as the door closed, realizing that it should have been dark in the room but instead there was a strange sort of glow surround them. Shifting her gaze from Logan, she noticed the numerous candles of various sizes strung throughout the room. On the nightstand beside the bed there was an ice bucket with a bottle of champagne, two long-stemmed flutes, a bowl of strawberries and a dozen, long-stem red-roses. Rogue was completely speechless, she had absolutely no idea what to say.

"Happy Anniversary, darlin'," Logan whispered in her ear from behind her.

"Anniversary?"

Logan nodded slowly as he met her gaze with a serious expression. "A year ago tonight we first met," he reminded her gently.

Instantly Rogue was overwhelmed by rampant emotions. Tears sprang to her eyes and she started to shake from head to toe. This was the last thing she'd expected. In truth she was more shocked that she hadn't made the connection than she was that Logan had remembered. How could she have forgotten the night that changed her life forever and gave her a reason to continue?

"Marie?" Logan called tenderly, stepping forward and wrapping his hands around her shoulders. "Darlin', what's wrong?"

Rogue just shook her head as the tears streamed down her pale cheeks. She didn't know what to say and even if she had, she couldn't have spoken at that moment.

"Darlin', talk to me," Logan begged, reaching up with one gloved hand to wipe at the tears on her face. His other arm wrapped around her shoulder and he led her over to the bed, prompting her to sit before moving to kneel in front of her. "What's wrong?"

"Ah…" Rogue started to respond but stopped suddenly with a burst of fresh tears. "Ah didn't except this," she finally managed to sob.

Relief washed over Logan and he actually chuckled a little at the comment. "It wouldn't have been much of a surprise if you did, baby. I just wanted to do something to show you how much I love you and how lucky I am to have found you."

"But Ah didn't do anything fer you," she cried softly.

Logan moved from the floor onto the bed beside her and pulled her into his arms. "Marie, you do things for me all the time. You make me feel alive and wanted for the first time that I can remember, probably for the first time in my entire long ass life. In fact you're doing something to me right now," he teased pointedly, it was the truth actually but he used a light tone, making it sound like a joke in the hopes of cheering her mood.

Rogue sniffled a couple times before dropping a hand onto Logan's thigh. "Ah am?" she asked coyly.

A low, light growl was Logan's response and his eyes rolled back in his head as her fingers grazed his growing arousal.

"Ya mean this?" she asked innocently, cupping him gently through his already tightening jeans.

With a ragged breath Logan managed to open his eyes and look at her. His nostrils flaring, as he became aware of Rogue's aroused state, he nodded his answer.

"Ya mean this ain't normal?" Rogue teased doing her best to sound surprised. "Ah thought it was always like this."

"It is when you're around, Marie," Logan assured her.

Despite the time they'd been together and everything that they'd done in that time, Rogue still blushed at the statement. It was part of her charm, and Logan found it impossibly endearing. He'd been afraid that he would spoil her, ruin her innocence but he'd been so wrong.

Shifting her gaze, her cheeks still slightly flushed, Rogue locked eyes with him. "Ah love ya so much, Logan. Ah wish…" she paused suddenly, her eyes lighting up as though she remembered something important. "Ah do have a surprise fer ya," she told him excitedly as she bounded from the bed and started across the room. "Jus' give me a few minutes, sugah."

Logan sat on the bed in a frustrating state of arousal and watched as Rogue dug in her dresser for a moment. He caught a quick flash of black fabric before she concealed it under her shirt and started backing into the bathroom.

"Don't go nowhere now, ya hear?"

Wondering if she knew what that sweet, sweet southern drawl did to him, Logan could do nothing but growl in response. Well, growl and carefully stand up so he could remove his pants thus relieving the painful pressure on his crotch. Logan had no more than tossed his jeans to the foot of the bed when the bathroom door opened. He turned toward the door with a smile, very much wanting to see this surprise of hers. Logan hadn't even completed his turn when he first caught sight of her and his froze instantly, his eyes widening.

Marie was clearly naked but at the same time completely covered, including her entire head, in a black, see-through bodysuit with built in gloves and booties. The fabric was thin and lightweight but provided adequate protection while still giving the illusion of nakedness. She had first thought of the idea after Logan's scarf thing on their way home but it had taken her a while to make the pattern and find the right material, not to mention doing the actual sewing at times when she knew that he wouldn't catch her. Rogue had wanted it to be a surprise and while she'd finished it a couple of days ago, she wanted to save it for something special. Logan's surprise anniversary was just the right thing.

"Where did you get that?" Logan finally managed to ask in a husky voice.

With a smile, Rogue twirled around to give him a full view of the garment. "Ah made it," she informed him when she completed her spin. "D'ya like it?"

Logan didn't have to respond verbally, Rogue could see it in his darkened eyes as he started stalking toward her with a look of unabashed love and wanting. He stopped only inches from her and gently took her covered face between his gloved hands. Slowly he raised her head up as he lowered his, his lips devouring hers through the protective barrier. The kiss was long and passionate, their tongues mimicking the actions of their lips. Logan's hands slipped down her cheeks, one moving up then to cradle her head while the other slid down her side until he curled it around her waist and pulled her more firmly against him. They both moaned as their bodies molded together with perfect symmetry. It was amazing how well their bodies fit together; it was almost as if they were specifically made for each other.

Copying his actions from the elevator, Logan leaned forward and picked Rogue up, holding her hot, moist center against his throbbing erection as he carried her to the bed across the room. He laid her back onto their mattress then started to stand.

Her eyes burning bright with the fire of passion, Rogue wrapped her legs around his hips to keep him in place. When Logan met her gaze with an unspoken question, she loosened her legs, and digging into his back with her toes, she slipped her feet into his underwear and pushed them down his muscular thighs. Taking his lead from her, Logan leaned back and quickly removed his shirt, he'd taken to wearing only one for quicker strip time. As soon as the buttons were released, or rather torn off, Marie's hands splayed out on his magnificent chest. For the first time, through the thinner material of the fabric covering her hands, she was able to feel the coarse hair covering his torso. It tickled her palms as she slid her hands across Logan's chest while he finished removing his shirt.

Rogue was enthralled by the feel of his flesh pulsing against her center. Her hands continued to explore the contours of his body, slowly moving down his arms to remove the gloves he wore. Rogue had no more than pulled the soft leather off when Logan's hands dropped to her breasts. Once again the thinner barrier provided for a more intimate touch, feeling the roughness of his hands as they gently kneaded her flesh.

Logan's mouth found hers in other deep kiss as his hands continued to caress her breasts and his hips shifted slowly against hers. "I love you so much, Marie," he whispered against the curve of her neck as his mouth blazed a hot, wet trail down to her collarbone then back up to her ear. Beneath the veil of the hood covering her head, Rogue had pulled her hair up into a bun and Logan took advantage of that fact assaulting her usually covered earlobe with a series of soft bites.

"Oh, Logan," she moaned, working her hips beneath his. "Ah love ya, sugah."

The exquisite pain of Logan's slow lovemaking was driving her insane. With a quickness that surprised them both, Rogue flipped Logan onto his back, straddled his hips before sitting up slightly. A growl rumbled up from deep in his chest, responding to the increased pressure on his swollen member. Bracing her hands on Logan's chest for balance, Rogue started a steady and much quicker rhythm, rubbing her tingling flesh maddeningly against his throbbing cock.

Logan's hands moved to her hips, to try to slow her frantic pace but it soon became clear that she wouldn't be deterred. Knowing that he couldn't hold out much longer -- thanks to her skilled technique -- he slid one hand down her thigh then across to where their bodies were pressed together. His thumb found her clit instinctively and she shuddered in response, momentarily losing her rhythm as she whimpered loudly. Logan's free hand moved to her stomach then slowly wandered up the center of her body until it stopped over the scrape of metal nestled between her breasts, trapped between her sweat moistened skin and the thin black covering that allowed for their current closeness. After a second the hand moved, curling around a sizeable mound to flesh and began kneading it lovingly, all the while his thumb rubbing circles against the nerve bundle between her legs.

Rogue was quickly losing her ability to think clearly as a blinding tension continued to build through out her entire body. Her muscles were straining almost painfully and she was shuddering like a leaf in the wind. "Oooooh, Lo-gan," she moaned loudly.

Finding it hard to concentrate himself, Logan was barely able to increase the speed of his thumb. "C'mon, darlin'," he growled heatedly. "Cum for me, Marie."

"Oh GAWD!" Rogue screamed in the throes of passion. "LOGAN!"

Marie's scent combined with the wild movement of her hips and the crying of his name finished the job for Logan. He came with the force of an earthquake, his resounding howl piercing the quiet evening.

All around the mansion heads snapped up at the loud wail. Glances were exchanged and heads shook in amusement before everyone went back to whatever they were doing. Adults and kids alike knew what the howl was all about but no one ever mentioned it in the presence of the couple locked away in their room.

Rogue collapsed onto Logan's chest, both of them fighting for air as they came down from the peak of passion. When she had recovered slightly, she shifted off of him and snuggled against his side, resting her head on his chest. "Happy Anniversary, sugah," Rogue said softly, kissing his chest and tasting the salt of his sweat.

Logan sat up a little to gather the blankets around them before curling up with Marie in his arms. "Happy Anniversary, darlin'."


The next morning Rogue returned to the lab to find Jean already there, waiting for her.

"Good morning," the doctor greeted with a humor-filled smile. "I take it you had a nice evening?"

Rogue blushed lightly but responded none the less. "Ah did indeed."

Jean nodded as she rose from her seat and gestured Rogue to a diagnostic table. "I guess Logan took the news well," she commented conversationally while she waited for her patient to get settled.

"What news?" Rogue asked, arching a brow in question.

"What news?" Jean repeated incredulously. "The news about my research, silly," she teased lightly.

"Ah didn't tell ‘im," Rogue informed her softly.

Slightly taken aback by the realization, Jean paused in her preparation to look at the younger woman. "Why not?"

Rogue dropped her gaze to the white tiled floor. "Ah don't wanna get his hopes up," she returned quietly. "Ah'll tell ‘im when there's somethin' t' tell."

"Rogue, you really should tell him what's happening," Jean insisted gently. "I think he could really help you get through this."

Shaking her head Rogue looked back at her other woman. "Ya didn't tell me 'til ya's sure that it might work an' Ah ain't tellin' Logan 'til Ah'm sure."

Hoping that in time Rogue would change her mind, Jean simply nodded. "Okay, let's get started."


As it turned out, Rogue's decision not to tell Logan was for the best. It was almost a month later before Jean made enough progress that her work started to make a difference. Rogue was still fighting to keep things in perspective, she knew it wasn't going to happen overnight and getting too excited would only led one place, it was a place that she knew too well already, the place where frustration reigned.

Rogue entered the room she shared with Logan only to find him smiling at her from his position on the bed. Her eyebrow arched questioningly as she took in his position. Logan was leaning back against the headboard, both arms folded behind his head. His chest was bare and while the thin white sheet was pooled provocatively around his waist, one long leg was sticking out revealing tanned flesh clear up to his hip.

"Hey, darlin'," Logan greeted with a grin and just a hint of a growl.

"What're ya doin'?" Rogue asked, shaking her head and laughing as she entered and closed the door behind her.

"I'm waitin' for you, baby," he drawled suggestively, patting the empty bed to his side.

"Ah swear t' Gawd ya're the horniest man Ah ever met."

"And that's wrong because?" Logan asked seriously, beckoning her with his finger.

Holding her ground by the door, Rogue shook her head. "Ah didn't say there's anythin' wrong with it, sugah."

"Then why are ya still standing over there?" he demanded gruffly.

"'Cause if Ah come over there we'll never get outta this room."

Logan's smile broadened before turning to a leer. "I don't have a problem with that, darlin'. Do you?"

Rogue had to look away as Logan kept arranging the sheet around him to show a little more skin all the time. Finally she found a nice spot on the floor and focused her attention there. "Normally Ah wouldn't have a problem with it, no. But right now we need t' be someplace else."

Taking advantage of Rogue's lack of concentration, Logan sprang from the bed like a panther and was across the expanse between them before she even noticed. "We ain't goin' nowhere," Logan insisted as he pulled her up into his arms.

Squealing with delight at being whisked into the air and carried toward the bed, Rogue almost forgot to struggle. "Logan, Jean needs us in the lab."

"Huh uh," he returned gruffly, shaking his head as he laid her down on the bed then stretched his naked body out on top of her. "Jean's just gonna hav'ta wait."

"It's important, Logan," Rogue tried again. As late as it was getting if they didn't go now they would have to wait until tomorrow to run the tests and she didn't want to do that.

At that moment, the only thing important to Logan was the woman pinned beneath him. His hands were working over her curves as he nuzzled her neck through her hair.

"Logan, please?"

With a frustrated sigh, though anyone who didn't know him a well as Rogue did would have considered it a growl, Logan pulled back to look at her. It was plain that whatever was waiting for them was important. He scowled a little as he rolled off her and got up. "You're going to owe me big when we get back here," he informed her firmly.

Sitting up, Rogue smiled. "Ah'll make it worth yer while," she promised as she watched him start to dress. "Ya might wanna wear sweats," Rogue suggested once he had his brief over the evidence of his arousal. "Ah wouldn't want ya t' hurt anythin' important," she concluded with a wink.

Logan was quick to heed her advice, pulling on a pair of loose fitting sweat pants. "So what's so damn important in the lab that it can't wait a few minutes?"

"Minutes?" Rogue repeated questioningly, giggling at his quirking eyebrow. "Actually it's very important, sugah. I've been working with Jean for a while now an' we might've found a way to help me control mah mutation."

His sweatshirt half way on, Logan spun around and pinned her with an unreadable look. "What?"

Knowing that he'd heard her perfectly well, Rogue continued explaining. "We're ready to do a little testin' an'…"

"How long have you been working with her?" Logan demanded crisply, pulling his shirt down sharply.

The hard tone of his voice startled Rogue and when she met his gaze she could see how upset he was. "Ah didn't wanna get yer hopes up 'til we knew if it was gonna work," she tried to explain.

"How long?" he shouted, his anger now clear in every fiber of his being.

Tears gathered in Rogue's eyes as she realized how hurt he was that she hadn't told him what was happening. "'Bout a month," she told him quietly as tears rolled down her cheeks.

"A month!" Logan yelled harshly. "Fuck. Jesus Christ, Marie, why the fuck didn't you tell me?"

"Ah … Ah told ya, Ah … didn't wanna get yer hopes up," Rogue replied weakly around uncontrollably sobs.

"So instead you lie to me?" Logan hadn't been this anger in months, not since he and Marie had finally gotten together. The worst of it was he wasn't only anger, he was hurt. {How could you not have told me?}

"Ah didn't lie t' ya, Logan," she objected quickly, shaking her head vigorously. She hadn't technically lied to him.

"You might as well have, Marie," he snapped bitterly, turning his back on her to try to calm himself.

Not knowing what else to do, Rogue rose from the bed and started toward him. "I'm sorry, Logan," she said softly, voice still trembling as she tentatively reached out a hand to touch his shoulder.

Logan jerked back sharply from the contact. "Don't," he growled roughly, turning to face her with hardened features. Logan stared down at her, shaking his head harshly. "I can't believe you didn't tell me, Marie." With that he stepped around her and moved toward the door.

Rogue turned to go after him, once again calling his name. The familiar sound of metal on metal split the silence of the room and glued Rogue to the floor. She watched in horror as Logan retracted his claws then ripped opened the door and left, slamming it shut behind him. In a state of utter despair, feeling more hopeless than she had in months, Rogue dropped to her knees in the middle of the room, curling into a ball on her side as she cried.


5

Jean glanced at the clock again wondering what was keeping her patient. She had just about convinced herself that Rogue and Logan had decided to celebrate instead and was thinking about getting things put away for the night when the door opened behind her. "There you are, I just about…" Jean's comment died off as she turned and got a look at her visitor.

Rogue stepped through the door and shuffled toward the desk where Jean was sitting. She didn't make it halfway before the doctor met her, wrapping an arm around her shoulder and leading her to a chair.

"Rogue, what's wrong?" Jean asked concerned by the younger woman's state of mind and the tracks of dried tears on her cheeks. "Where's Logan?"

"He ain't comin'," Rogue sobbed weakly, her head dropping into her hands as her tears started anew.

"Honey, what happened?" the doctor questioned, kneeling down beside her friend and rubbing her back like her mother used to.

"Ah hurt ‘im," the younger woman muttered softly. "Ah didn't mean for it t' happen but it did."

Taking her words in an entirely different context, Jean started to panic. "Where is he, Rogue?"

"Ah dunno," Rogue returned with a defeated shrug. "He jus' walked out." Rogue turned to face Jean then, her eyes pleading and filled with pain and tears. "Ah didn't mean t' hurt ‘im, Ah jus' didn't wanna get his hopes up."

Finally getting to the root of the problem, Jean relaxed a little. "Oh, Rogue, I'm sorry," she offered gently, wrapping her arms the younger woman. "I'm sure Logan knows that you didn't mean to hurt him."

"But Ah did," she objected hoarsely. "Ah shoulda done what ya said an' tol' 'im when ya tol' me. Ah don't ever wanna see that look in his eyes again, Jean," she sobbed.

"I know, Rogue," Jean comforted her quietly, holding her close and patting her lightly on the back. From her advantage point, the redhead had a view of the door, which was at Rogue's back, so she noticed when the door opened and Logan stepped inside. Jean immediately noticed his hesitance and could see the hurt in his eyes. She could also see the love he felt for Rogue when he realized that she was crying.

"Ah don't know what Ah'm gonna do if he can't forgive me," Rogue wailed. "Ah jus' love 'im so much an' Ah didn't ever wanna hurt ‘im."

From across the room, Logan's own eyes filled with tears at the heartbroken tone of Marie's voice. True to the beast inside of him, when he was hurt he lashed out, not even considering that it would hurt her. Moving quickly to Rogue's side, Logan dropped to his knees and pulled her out of Jean's arms and into his own. "Of course I forgive you, darlin'," he assured her holding her tight. "I love you, Marie."

Crying now with relief, Rogue pulled back slightly to look at him, noticing his eyes gleaming with unshed tears. "Ah love ya too an' Ah'm so sorry, Logan."

Logan accepted her words with a nod but took her chin in his hand and forced her to meet his gaze. "From now on, you have to tell me everything, Marie. Don't lie to me and don't hold anything back from me."

"I promise," Rogue stated shakily.

"Okay then," Logan said giving her a final squeeze before turning to Jean, "we have some tests to run or something?"

Jean rose from the floor and moved back some to distance herself from the fierce emotions surrounding her. "I think it'd be better if we waited until morning," the doctor announced. "I think we can all use some time to calm down and relax. Why don't we meet here after breakfast?"

Rogue looked disappointed but accepting as she looked to Logan. "Sounds like a good idea. Thanks for your efforts, Jeannie."

Smiling faintly at the nickname, Jean shook her head. "I haven't really done anything yet."

"Yes you have," Logan disagreed firmly. "You've given us hope."

Unable to think of anything intelligent to say, Jean simply watched as Logan pulled Rogue to her feet and escorted her out the door of the lab. Despite needing some rest herself, the doctor went back to work. {This has to work. I have to make this work.}


Logan and Rogue walked the halls to their room in silence, each lost in their own thoughts, their arms wrapped around the other. When they reached the door, Logan pulled up and opened it, gesturing Marie inside. She entered far enough to allow him entry then stopped to watch him as he closed the door and turned to face her.

"Ah'm sorry, Logan," she whispered softly, tears pooling again in her eyes. "Ah didn't mean t' upset ya, sugah. Ah jus' … Ah thought Ah's doin' the right thin'."

"I know you did, darlin'," Logan responded quietly, nodding his head as he stepped forward and settled his hands on her shoulders. "But you have to know that you don't have to shield me, Marie. I won't tolerate that. I have to deal with enough lies and half-truths with my past, and I can't deal with any more. This isn't a casual relationship we're in here, baby, and I don't want a casual relationship. I want us to always be open and honest with each other or we have nothing. Do you understand?"

Rogue nodded quickly. "It won't happen again, Logan. Ah swear."

Satisfied that she understood his reaction, Logan gathered her in his arms and held her close. "I'm sorry that I walked out on you, Marie," he whispered against the hair on the top of her head. "I'm sorry that I made you cry."

"It was mah fault," Rogue insisted with a whisper as she clung to him tightly. "Jean tol' me t' tell ya an' Ah shoulda. Ah know that now." A huge yawn halted anything further comment.

Logan patted her on the back a couple of times before pushing her away slightly. "You should get ready for bed. It's been an emotional couple of hours and tomorrow's going to be a long day."

With a sniffle, Rogue stepped back and wiped her eyes with the back of her glove. Offering Logan an insecure smile, she moved across to the dresser and pulled out one of her moderately demure nightgowns. Rogue had started to change, pulling off her shirt and was reaching for the closure of her bra, when Logan excused himself to the bathroom. She watched him go, closing the door behind him. They had been together for nearly three months and in that time, they'd taken to changing in front of each other and the bathroom door was never closed so it was a little disquieting to say the least.

Rogue quickly stripped off the rest of her clothes and pulled the nightgown over her head, all the while watching the bathroom door for Logan's return. Once dressed, she walked to the bed, still rumpled from their earlier tussle, and climbed beneath the covers. Silent tears seeped from her eyes as she rolled onto her side and curled herself into a fetal position. Rogue had never expected Logan to respond in this way. She certainly never expected to hurt him. If it hadn't been that hurting him was so painful, Marie would have basked in the realization that he loved her so much.

In the bathroom, Logan stood with his forehead pressed against the hard wooden door trying to control his racing heart and ragged breathing. He needed to gain control that's why he'd retreated to the bathroom. After the events of the last couple of hours, he figured the last thing Marie needed was a horny Wolverine jumping her. Logan wanted to show her how much he loved her but somehow he felt that their usual game of mattress tag wasn't what she needed. Sometimes just being held was far more intimate and tonight that's what he wanted. He just had to make sure that he could keep it at that level without pushing things into something that might turn cheap.

After another moment, he took a deep, cleansing breath and opened the door. Marie was already in bed her back facing his direction. Logan walked over and switched off the light before moving back to the bed. As he slid in under the covers, Rogue shifted away from him slightly, it wasn't much but it was enough for him to notice though. That drew his attention to something else too, the gentle shaking of her shoulders and the smell of fresh tears.

Logan rolled to his side and wrapped his arms around her but that only made her cry harder. "It's okay, baby," he whispered softly, trying to sooth her. "Don't cry, Marie."

"Ah ruined ever'thin'," Rogue sobbed loudly.

"You didn't ruin anything, darlin'," Logan insisted tenderly, hugging her back against his chest.

"Ya can't even stand the sight a me now," she continued in a weak whimper.

"Whoa," he interrupted immediately, turning her in his arms until she was facing him. "Hold it right there, Marie. Where'd that come from?"

Rogue dropped her gaze unable to meet his eyes not wanting to see the pain and disappointment she knew would be there. "Why else would ya close the door?"

"Marie, look at me," Logan demanded softly but firmly, lifting her chin up when she failed to comply. "That's not why I closed the door. I love the sight of you, darlin'. You're the most beautiful thing in the world to me."

"Then why?" she asked around a sob, needing to know the answer.

Logan released a heavy breath. "Because I'm an asshole," he responded gruffly, angry with himself for causing her more pain. "Marie, baby, seeing you was … shit how do I explain this? I just wanted to hold you tonight and I didn't want anything to get in the way of that. You know what I mean?"

She knew exactly what he meant and she loved him even more for it. Rogue nodded her understanding as Logan settled back on the mattress, guiding her down with him. One arm curled around his torso as her head rested in the valley of his shoulder and her long hair splayed out over the soft sweatshirt he wore. "G'night, Logan," she said softly, finally confident in the fact that everything was going to be all right.

"G'night, Marie," Logan returned tenderly, kissing the top of her head lovingly. "Sleep well, darlin'."


The next morning Logan and Rogue found Jean in the lab after breakfast, after having learned from Scott that she'd spent most of the night there and had skipped breakfast as well. The doctor was concentrating on her research so hard that she didn't even hear the door open, or take notice of the approaching footsteps.

"Mornin', Jeannie," Logan greeted gruffly, leaning over her back to study the information on the computer screen.

Jean jumped clean out of her seat, sending the chair clattering to the floor. Logan had to grab her elbows to steady her she was so surprised. "I didn't hear you come in," she stammered, clearly embarrassed at having been startled so badly.

"Obviously," Logan snickered before becoming series. "Probably wouldn't have happened if you'd gotten a little sleep last night."

Looking back and forth between the couple, Jean shook her head. "Scott?"

"Who else?" Rogue confirmed before tilting her head and pinning her friend with a gentle look. "He's worried ‘bout ya spendin' awl yer time done here. Ya have a weddin' comin' up soon, in case ya've fergotten."

"I haven't," Jean assured her. "I just want this too."

"So do we," Logan assured her, "but we want you to be able to stand at your wedding. Look, Jeannie, Marie and I discussed it on the way down here and we think you should concentrate on you and Scott right now. We can wait until you get back from your honeymoon."

Looking back and forth between the two, Jean could tell that they were sincere but she didn't want to wait that long. "That's more than five weeks," she cried. "Listen, how about a compromise?"

Logan glanced at Rogue then focused again on Jean.

"The wedding isn't for three more weeks and pretty much everything is ready to go except for the last minute stuff," Jean explained to them. "Give me this week to work with you then I'll concentrate on the wedding. Deal?"

"Ah think ya should ask Scott what he thinks of the idea first," Rogue offered her opinion.

"I think that's fair," Logan agreed easily knowing full well that Scott had slipped into the room a few minutes ago seemingly undetected.

"He thinks it's a pretty good plan," Scott stated aloud to announce his presence.

"Scott," Jean exclaimed, blinking in surprise as she moved past Logan and Rogue to greet her fiancé with a hug and a kiss. "What are you doing here, honey?"

"Just wanted to make sure that you were still alive and kicking," Scott told her lightly. "And I brought you some fruit for breakfast," he added sweetly, indicating the apple and the banana that he held in one hand.

Jean searched not only his face, but his mind as well, looking for the slightest misgivings but she didn't find any. "Are you sure, Scott," she asked to make certain.

Scott flicked his ruby-quartz gaze to the couple across the room. Neither of their expressions were very revealing, but Scott knew how important Jean's work was to them. "I'm sure that you should do what you think is right," he told her.

Knowing that he was sincere, Jean stepped forward and wrapped her arms around him, kissing him passionately on the lips. "I love you, Scott Summers."

A dimpled smile spread across Scott's face as they pulled apart. "I love you, Jean Grey, soon-to-be Summers."

"Very soon," she smiled back. "And I can't wait."

A short ways away, Logan was fighting the urge be himself and say something totally inappropriate. He was fidgeting badly, biting the tip of his tongue. As though sensing where he was going, Rogue smacked him firmly in the chest, giving him a stern look of warning.

"I better go and let you get back to work," Scott said reluctantly. "I'll see you later?"

"I promise," Jean returned lovingly, giving his hand a friendly squeeze before releasing it.

"Good luck," Scott offered, sweeping his gaze from Jean to Logan and Rogue as he turned toward the door.

"Thank ya," Rogue called after him.

Scott wasn't even out of the room yet and Jean was already in motion. "Okay, I think I have it narrowed down enough to run a series of tests," she started to explain, gesturing Logan and Rogue to a pair of diagnostic chairs positioned side by side.

"What exactly are you going to do?" Logan asked, concern obvious in his voice as he got settled at Rogue's side. "How do you plan to control the mutation?"

Jean looked up quickly to meet Logan's gaze. "I'm not going to control the mutation. I hope to give Rogue the power to control it herself," the doctor informed him.

"How?" Rogue wanted to know.

"I've been doing some experimentation with neuro-inhibitors and I think I've found a mix that will allow Rogue to control her mutation," Jean explained. "I first need to test and see if the mix is close and then it will just be a matter of fine tuning to get the right concentration. What I have here," she continued, gesturing to a large, wicked looking needle attached to a tiny syringe, "is a starting point. First though I need a baseline for comparison."

Rogue didn't particularly like the sound of that, especially when coupled with the look that passed between Jean and Logan. "Wha' d'ya mean?"

Dropping her gaze to the white tile floor, Jean took a moment to gather her thoughts before meeting Rogue's questioning gaze. "I need to determine how quickly your mutation is activated so I know when we're making progress."

Shaking her head vigorously, Rogue started to rise from her seat but was stopped by a firm hand on her arm. She turned her head to find Logan staring at her intently, his eyes pleading. Rogue could only look away, her mind racing with what they wanted her to do.

"Rogue," Jean started calmly only to be cut off.

"No," Rogue said forcefully, shaking her head again.

"Marie," Logan tried, squeezing her arm lightly, "it'll be all right, darlin'."

Rogue turned her gaze back to him, revealing her silent tears. "Ah can't do this," she sobbed softly. "Ah didn't know Ah'd have t' hurt ya fer this t' work."

"I assure you that everything will be all right, Rogue," Jean stated gently. "It will be the briefest of touches, just long enough to register the pull, that's all."

"There, ya see, darlin', nothing to it," Logan said encouragingly. "'Sides, you know me, I'm tough, I can take it."

Meeting Logan's eyes, Rogue searched his expression for second thoughts but all see saw was hope and love. Slowly she nodded her consent without saying a word.

Jean smiled at each of them in turn before settling them back into their chairs and pulling on a pair of latex surgical gloves. Once she was adequately protected, she carefully removed the long glove covering Rogue's left hand and arm. Jean immediately felt the fear and discomfort rolling off Rogue in waves. Working to clear her mind she moved a short distance away and gathered up a digital timer, checking the settings before looking up to the expectant faces watching her.

"Okay, Rogue, I just want you to reach out and touch Logan's hand. Give me a signal when you make contact and again when you feel the pull start."

Nodding her understanding, Rogue turned to meet Logan's eyes before dropping her gaze to his now bare hand less a foot away from hers. Taking a deep breath to work up the courage she needed, Rogue finally lifted her hand, slowly moving it to hover above Logan's. It remained there for a time before she finally let the tips of her fingers brush against the back of his hand. Rogue nodded to Jean as she touched him, the silky hair that covered his body tickling her fingers. His skin was softer than she'd thought it would be and the warmth from his touch was welcoming but all too soon those things were forced aside by panic as the familiar tingle of her mutation at work took over. Rogue ripped her hand away from his, her eyes snapping to his face in fear and horror.

Logan tried to keep the pain from his face and as it only lasted a millisecond, he did a pretty good job. He gave Marie a smile and a wink but he couldn't hide the shaking of his hand so he pulled it off the arm of the chair and hide it in his lap as he shifted his eyes toward Jean.

"Three seconds," the doctor reported aloud, making a note in her papers. "Okay, I'm all set when you're ready to go again."

"Again?" Rogue shrieked nervously.

Jean met the younger woman's eyes with sympathy. "I need an accurate estimate, Rogue. That means at least three trials."

With a deep breath of resignation, Wolverine took over Logan's body. He willed his hand to stop shaking as he returned it to the armrest. "It's all right, darlin'," he assured her firmly.

Tears filled Rogue's eyes as she reached for Logan again, signaling Jean when contact was made. Like before she tore her hand away as though she'd been burned at the first sign of a reaction. This time however when she pulled away, her eyes remained a little longer on Logan's hand. It only took a second for the discoloring web of veins to return to normal but his hand never stopped shaking.

Logan closed his eyes for a split second to erase the pain before meeting Marie's gaze. He could tell that she knew how bad it was, or at least had an idea but he forced a smile again, waiting while Jean prepared to time it again.

"Three seconds again," Jean reported as she wrote. Clearing the timer once more, she looked up again. "Whenever you're ready."

Rogue simply shook her head in response.

"It's just once more, Rogue," Jean assured her.

"No," she retorted sharply.

"Marie, it's okay. Just one more time," Logan practically begged, despite the fact it was painful, it was contact that had been denied up until then. "I'm fine, darlin'."

"Don' lie, Logan. Not about this," Rogue said softly, guilt and frustration coloring her tone.

Logan dropped his gaze in shame, his own level of frustration reaching monumental proportions. "I'm sorry, Marie. It is painful," he admitted slowly, meeting her eyes again, "but I can take it. I've been through worse. ‘Sides, it'll be worth it in the end."

Rogue closed her eyes against the tears burning behind them. "Ah don't wanna hurt ya anymore, Logan."

Knowing that she was at an emotional impasse and wasn't about to change her mind, Logan took matters into his own hands. Reaching across the space between them, he grabbed her bare hand with his own, signaling Jean as he did so. Rogue tried to pull away immediately but Logan held on until he felt the pull then promptly released her.

Rogue glared at him, admonishing his actions with the hard look in her eyes. After three fleeting touches, she was already developing an inner Wolverine to rival his own. "Bastard!" she muttered under her breath.

Logan did his best to smother the smile her curse brought to his lips but wasn't very successful. Luckily for him, Jean drew Rogue's attention as she started to explain the next phase.

"Now, I have already prepared a sample," Jean reminded them with a gesture at the evil looking needle nearby. "I'm going to give you the injection and we'll run another series of tests to see if it had any effect."

Jean took up the syringe and moved to Rogue's side before stopping. "You ready?"

With an impatient grunt, Rogue nodded. "Let's jus' get it over with," she snapped.

The doctor exchanged a look with Logan, both thinking the same thing, how much she was starting to sound like him. With a shake of her head, Jean carefully slid the needle into Rogue's arm and injected the contents of the syringe.

Rogue could feel the drug hit her system but she had no idea what to expect from it -- she certainly didn't expect what happened. For a few seconds there was nothing and then a horrific pain swirled through her entire body. Rogue gasped at the intense agony as every nerve ending rippled with trauma. The sensation fell somewhere between the realm of fire and the burn of ice. It robbed her of her breath and the ability to move, speak or even think. Somewhere in the sands of time she was aware of sounds around her, the echo of voices from such a distance that it was impossible to understand them. Forcing her burning eyes to close tightly against the excruciating pain, the sweet deliverance of darkness overtook her.


6

"MARIE!"

Jean fought the onslaught of Logan's terror as she worked to check on her patient. For one panicked second, it was clear that Rogue wasn't breathing. A heartbeat later her lungs once again began to function and her chest rose and fell in a slow rhythm. Jean checked her pulse to find it strong and steady and she breathed a quiet sigh of relief.

"What's wrong?" Logan demanded, his eyes darting frantically back and forth between Jean and Marie.

"Calm down, Logan," the doctor snapped, hoping her sharp tone would settle him a little. Instead she got a dirty look.

"Don't fucking tell me to calm down, Jean," Logan shouted gruffly. "Tell me what the hell happened!"

"I expected something like this," Jean returned softly.

Logan's eyes narrowed. "You what?! Why the fuck didn't you warn us?"

Before Jean could respond, a muffled groan drew both their attentions. Rogue shifted minutely in her chair and her eyelids fluttered slightly over the top of her eyes.

"Marie?" Logan called tenderly, taking her still gloved hand in both of his. "C'mon, darlin', wake up."

Once again Rogue became aware of the sound of voices but they were still buried beneath an ocean of semi-consciousness. Memories of being held under water while cutting torches burned into her body slammed their way to the front of her mind. The memories weren't really hers of course but in her state of mind, she didn't know that. Speared on by Logan's splintered snatches of memories, Rogue came aware with a frantic howl, springing out of her seat with a force that sent Jean sailing halfway across the room.

Rogue surveyed the scene quickly, her eyes wild until she focused on Logan and then she seemed to return to herself. "What happened?"

Without responding, Logan moved forward and wrapped her into his arms, holding her tightly against his chest.

From across the room, Jean picked herself up off the floor. Limping slightly due to the pain in her right hip from where she impacted the hard floor, she made her way back to the place she started. "How are you feeling, Rogue?" she asked softly, placing a gentle hand on the younger woman's back below where Logan's arms were curled around her.

There was something Logan wanted an answer to as well so he loosened his hold, sliding his hands to Rogue's shoulders so he could push her back slightly and look at her.

Rogue felt funny that was for sure. She took a moment to consider what the feeling was before she tried to explain it. "Ah feel a little strange. Kinda tingly awl over."

Jean nodded making mental notes. "Why don't we get you settle back down here before we continue?" she suggested calmly, lifting her hand toward the chair Rogue had been sitting in. Jean helped Logan usher her to the seat in question then waited until she was situated. "Are you all right?"

After a brief consideration, Rogue nodded. "Ah'm awl right."

"Okay. Logan, if you want to take your seat we'll continue." The doctor waited while he settled back beside Rogue. "Now, like before we'll test it a couple of times to see if there's any improvement."

"Okay," Rogue agreed reluctantly, glancing nervously at Logan.

Logan gave her an encouraging smile and pursed his lips like he was kissing her while Jean moved back to her observation point.

"I'm ready whenever you are."

There was little hesitation this time from either one of them. Logan and Rogue both wanted to know if Jean's theory had any merit. Their hands met above the open air between their two chairs, the tips of their fingers brushing the others. Both of them nodded to signal Jean, their eyes locked on each other's as they waited. Time seemed to drag forward, feeling like an eternity before Rogue jerked her hand away from Logan's. She watched, saddened, as pain fluttered across his feature yet again. When he opened his eyes and met her gaze, they both looked to Jean. The smile on the doctor's face spoke volumes before she even opened her mouth with the results.

"Five seconds," Jean informed them grinning wildly. "I think this is going to work."

Rogue turned a watery smile on Logan and he winked at her before cracking a full-blown smile of his own.

"I'd still like to try it a couple more time to be sure," the redhead informed the happy couple.

The next two attempts garnered the same results. Logan and Rogue were able to touch a whole two seconds longer with Jean's magical potion than they had without it. To most people two seconds was nothing but it them it was the beginning of an eternity.

"Tomorrow I'll increase the dose and see what happens," Jean told them after completing her notes of the final trial.

"Why wait ‘til t'morrow?" Rogue wanted to know. "Let's do it now."

Jean couldn't fault her enthusiasm but at the same time it wasn't really something they should try to push. "I think it'd be best for the two of you to get some rest and we can start fresh again tomorrow." Seeing that Rogue wasn't happy with that answer, Jean tried another approach. "I need some time to prepare the next dose anyway and I think Logan could use some time to heal."

Logan was as excited as Rogue and quickly shook his head. "I'm fine, let's do more."

After thorough consideration of the situation, Jean made her decision. "All right, you two go get some rest and I'll call you when I have the next dose ready."

"Thank ya, Jean," Rogue squealed excitedly, jumping out of her seat and giving the older woman a careful hug. "Thanks fer eve'thin' yer doin'."

Wanting to make sure they both knew that it wasn't over yet, Jean felt obligated to say, "We still have a lot of work to do."

"That's why we want to get on it," Logan assured her as he wrapped his arm around Rogue. "Thank you for this, Jean."

Jean's smile brightened the room. ‘You're welcome, both of you. I can't think of two people who deserved something good as much as the two of you."

"We'll see you shortly," Logan responded over his shoulder as he and Rogue left the medlab.

Once they made it through the door and out into the wide corridor, Logan wrapped his arm around Rogue's waist and pulled her against his side, tenderly kissing the top of her head.

Rogue pulled back slightly to look at him, an inquisitive look on her face. "What was that fer?"

Logan shrugged his shoulders, his eyes focusing on the exquisite elements of her face. "Just ‘cause I love you."

"Ya do, huh?" Rogue drawled demurely.

Nodding slowly, Logan's face was clearly backing his claim. "Oh yeah."

Eyes wide and full of love all the same, Rogue just stared at him, gently shaking her head as he punched the button on the elevator for the third floor. "How'd Ah ever get so lucky?"

Turning from the panel to face her, Logan moved forward swiftly, pinning her to the wall of the elevator with his large frame. "I'm the one who got lucky," he retorted, his breath hot against her cheek.

"Keep this up an' you're gonna get lucky again," Rogue stated huskily, wiggling her hips slightly in a suggestive manner.

"Darlin', I don't have no problem keeping this up when you're around," Logan growled in a low tone, his hand curling around one hip and pulling her more tightly against his body.

Rogue smiled seductively. "Ya just made my point, sugah. What other girl's guy can make the same claim?"

Logan smirked proudly. "Not many."

"Not any," Rogue corrected as the door opened behind them.

They ignored the stares of those who'd seen them pressed against each other when the elevator opened and walked hand in hand to their room. While Logan closed the door behind them, Rogue started peeling off layer after layer of clothes until she was covered in nothing but skin. From the doorway Logan watched as she started to pull on her sheer bodysuit, his body tightening almost painfully at the sight of her. The thought that someday soon he'd be able to touch her without the barriers was even more of a turn on.

Once dressed again, Rogue turned to Logan only to find him leaning against the door staring at her with heavily lidded eyes, darkened with passion. She offered him a seductive smile as she moved forward, stopping in front of him with mere inches to spare.

The smirk on Logan's face broadened into a leer when she yanked the front of his shirt open, the force of which, sent buttons flying in all directions. His nostrils flared as the scent of his own lust mixed with hers to produce a very familiar, heady incense.

Rouge worked quickly to divest Logan of his own layers until he was standing before her totally naked. She let her eyes graze down the length of his body, taking in his perfect masculine form. "My Gawd, yer amazin'," she whispered huskily. "Ah could jus' stand here an' look at ya awl day."

Moving with lightning speed, he grabbed her, pulling her up the front of his body. "Sorry, darlin'," Logan returned roughly, holding her so that his erection grazed her most sensitive flesh, "but I've got other plans for you."

Wrapping her legs around his hips, Rogue squeezed drawing him closer and producing a moan from both of them. Logan's hands slipped down her back to cup her ass and he pulled her even tighter with a quick, firm jerk.

Holding her as close as he could, Logan carried her across the room and lowered her to the mattress before covering her with his large frame. As he leaned down, his mouth latched onto her right breast, suckling and laving the flesh as his hips shifted into hers.

Rogue's hands tangled in the thick mass of hair at the back of Logan's head and she held him tightly against her chest as she matched his rhythm. Wanting to slow it down a little and tame the savage beast, Rogue rolled Logan onto his back and took the dominant position on top, her hands falling to his chest to help steady her. Logan opened his mouth and started to protest but a simple wiggle of her hips halted it.

Logan's hands curled around her hips and he pulled at them, urging her to move faster but Rogue retained control and maintained her slow, erotic movements. Logan's eyes rolled back in his head as the tension continued to build toward release.

"Ya like that, sugah?" Rogue whispered with a honey drawl, her voice crackling with its own pent-up passion.

"Oh, darlin', you drive me crazy," Logan returned gruffly, his statement coming out in a quick jumble, the words all running together frantically.

A mischievous smile graced Rogue's lips. "That ain't sayin' much. Most people think yer crazy anyhow."

Swiftly Logan reversed their positions again, grinding his groin into hers. "I don't give a shit what most people think. What do you think?"

"Ah think we're both crazy," she returned as her fingers dug into his back.

"I wouldn't have it any other way," Logan assured her before turning his full attention back to the task at hand, namely making the incredible woman beneath him scream his name. His hand splayed out on her flat belly, his thumb finding its way to her clit through the thin material, which separated them.

Rogue gasped at the added stimulation, her body beginning to tremble with impending release. She was babbling incoherent words and moaning loudly between sharp cries of pleasure. Rogue somehow managed the state of mind to wind a hand between them as well to gently massage his balls while the other continue to mar his back with tiny crescent shaped scratches.

Within moments it was over for both of them, shouting the others name in the throes of passion before collapsing together into a heap. Logan quickly rolled off of her smaller frame, gathering her in his arms and holding her close.


Their sessions with Jean in the lab garnered a little better results each time until by the end of the week she promised them they had increased the duration of their touches by a total of about twenty seconds. Logan and Rogue could touch without the need for barriers for less than half a minute. They weren't the only ones frustration by the lack of progress. Jean's promise of one week stretched to one and a half and then to two. Scott watched from the sidelines, feeling a little hurt by his soon-to-be-wife's attentions focused on something other than them but to his credit he never said a word -- not even when the therapy continued right up to the day before the ceremony. He had intended to put a stop to it then until he walked in to find Rogue sitting on Logan's lap in one of the diagnostic chairs, their faces pressed together in a passionate kiss.

"Scott!" Jean exclaimed excitedly as she noticed him.

Scott Summers glanced at her then focused again on Logan and Rogue. They were still kissing wildly, Logan's hands cradling her head. He stared in shock at the sight, a smile turning up the corners of his mouth and producing a series of sexy dimples.

"You did it?" Scott started it as a statement but it became a question before he was through.

"We're not all the way there yet," Jean informed him excitedly, "but we're up to five minutes."

Five minutes! "You went from thirty seconds to five minutes in a day?" Scott exclaimed.

"We're so close, Scott," she returned ecstatically. "I just know we are, I can feel it."

That was great news. Aside from the fact that it was now very plainly obvious that Logan really did love Rogue and vice versa, the continual testing and the frustration of not making much progress was getting to everyone in the mansion. Rogue was becoming more like Logan every day and the funniest thing was, Logan was mellowing.

"I think by tomorrow I'll have it," Jean told her fiancé excitedly, her face beaming with pride and joy.

Scott's face fell at the statement and despite her distraction, Jean noticed.

"What's wrong, Scott?"

Trying his best to keep the hurt, anger and frustration from his features, Scott met Jean's gaze. "You know what tomorrow is, don't you?"

It became immediately obvious that she wasn't quite sure what he was talking about and that hurt more than Scott was prepared for. The look of pain on his handsome features coupled with the feeling of emotional betrayal shocked Jean into remembering exactly what tomorrow was. "Oh my God! Scott, I'm sorry, I…"

A sharp shake of his head cut off the rest of what she was going to say. "I just came down to remind you that we have a rehearsal in a couple of hours if you're not too busy." With that and without a single glance back, Scott walked away.

Jean stood there watching him leave, unable to think of something worth while to say. She'd been so caught up in helping Logan and Rogue that she'd neglected what was important to her.

The sounding of an alarm signaled the end of the five minutes and Rogue pulled back from Logan, breathless from the long, passionate kiss. The couple exchanged smoldering looks for a moment before turning their attention to the doctor. Both were surprised to see tears streaming down the woman's face and a sad, guilty expression covering her features.

"Jean?" Rogue called softly suddenly overwhelmingly concerned for her friend who had done so much for her.

So stunned by her actions and lapse of memory, Jean didn't hear the call. She just remained standing there in the middle of the room, staring blanking at the closed door across the lab with tears wetting her face.

Rogue quickly rose from Logan's lap and moved to Jean's side while Logan stood as well.

"Jeannie?" Logan spoke a little louder with a gruffness that he hoped would get her attention.

The touch of Rogue's hand on her back finally snapped Jean out of it with a start.

"Are ya awl right, Jean?" the younger woman wanted to know.

Slowly Jean shook her head in the negative. "I can't believe I didn't realize," she muttered softly to the point of almost being inaudible.

"Realize what?" Logan demanded nervously, having heard her and fearing the worst.

Jean shook off the last of her reverie and looked at the couple before her. "Do you know what day it is?"

"Yeah it's Monday," Logan returned nodding, wondering as he did so what that had to do with anything.

"I mean the date," Jean snapped. She was angry with herself but it was so easy to take her frustration out on someone else.

"It's the 16th isn't it?" Rogue offered helpfully, realization suddenly dawning on her as soon as the words were out of her mouth. "Oh Gawd … the weddin'."

Nodding, Jean looked all the more upset. "I'm sorry but we have to stop. The rehearsal's in a couple hours and tomorrow's the wedding and then the honeymoon."

Logan's face scrunched into a scowl without conscious thought. He didn't really have any right to be upset about this, Jean had given them much more time than they'd agreed upon and it wasn't like she wasn't coming back. With considerable effort he managed to force his features to neutral and keep his voice level and calm. "That's all right, Jeannie. We'll be here when you get back."

Rogue stood there in shock, her eyes wide and her mouth hanging open. She felt like she'd just been slugged in the stomach by Sabertooth.

"I'm sorry, Rogue," Jean repeated again sensing her young friend's shock and sorrow.

Shaking her head and trying to look accepting, Rogue didn't say a word as she turned to the door and walked out. She was as upset about having occupied all of Jean's time as she was about having to stop but she didn't know what to say to convey that. Rogue heard Logan hurrying after her but she didn't slow down, she didn't want to face him at the moment, knowing that he would see right through her.

"Marie," Logan shouted as he broke into a run. Reaching her side he took her arm gently in his hand and turned her to face him. "Hold up there, darlin'. What's wrong?"

Rogue's eye darted around the corridor in their desperation to avoid meeting his. "Ah jus' need t' be alone fer a little while," she finally managed though a bit gruffly.

"I don't think so, Marie," Logan negated calmly. "Not when you're feeling like this."

The Wolverine in Rogue's head, which had grown stronger over the course of the last three weeks, reared up wildly and lashed out. "Don' fuckin' talk t' me ‘bout what Ah'm feelin'!"

Logan took it all in stride because he knew exactly what she was doing, it was what he had always done and still wanted to do. "We'll be back at it in two weeks, darlin'. It'll be here before we know it," he said gently, hoping to settle her.

With a clenched jaw and flaring nostrils, Rogue tore her arm from Logan's grip. "How can ya be so calm damn it? We're so close, Logan!"

"That's why," he retorted tenderly as he took her hand and led her down the corridor.

Logan managed to get Rogue into a better mood before they went to the rehearsal. Afterwards they skipped the dinner and returned to their room, neither of them were much in the mood to be around a lot of people but that didn't keep them from feeling bad however after everything that Jean had done for them, they snubbed her. The fact that Jean had caught them at the door of the formal dining room and said she understood their leaving didn't make them feel any better.

They spent the evening curled together in their bed, not talking or touching, just laying there, each lost in their own thoughts.


The ceremony was absolutely beautiful. Jean was the most gorgeous bride and Scott looked incredible in the black tuxedo. They really were the perfect couple and had the prefect wedding. Rogue watched it all with a smile that was something less than genuine but no one seemed to notice. She did a really good job of maintaining her façade until the end of the ceremony when it was time to kiss the bride. At that point frustration returned, frustration that they would be touching for the rest of their lives, that they would be making love that night and they didn't have to be careful or creative to do it. As those thoughts filled her head, the smile faded into a tight scowl but once again no one noticed, well no one except Logan.

Rogue continued on in her duties as a bride's maid to the best of her ability until she had the chance to corner Jean alone in the corridor as the new bride headed for the bathroom. "Jean?"

"Rogue," Jean cried quickly, startled by the abrupt call. As soon as she caught sight of the younger woman, Jean was concerned. "Is something wrong?"

Suddenly Rogue wasn't so sure about what she was doing and her tone reflected her hesitation. "Ah jus' … well, we're so close. Isn't there any way ya could take an hour before ya leave?" At the sight of Jean's face falling, Rogue pushed on. "Jus' an hour, Jean, that's awl Ah'm askin'."

"I'm sorry, Rogue, but there just isn't time," Jean said obvious pained that she couldn't comply with the request.

"Jean's right," Scott said from a short distance away. He'd seen Rogue follow Jean and thought that something like this might happen.

"No one asked you, Cyke," Rogue snapped in a shockingly brilliant imitation of Logan, complete with the hard look in her eyes and her top lip curled into a snarl. "This is a private conversation," she continued with a growl, tilting her head at Jean, "so I suggest you back the fuck off!"

"It's okay, Scott," Jean said softly. She knew how frustrating it was for Rogue and Logan both. They were getting very close but the cumulative effects of Rogue's mutation pulling on Logan's instincts, was reaching dangerous proportions.

"No, it's not," Scott responded sharply. "This is our wedding reception, you should be enjoying yourself not worrying about this. I'm sorry, Rogue, but we all made a deal remember? Jean gave you a lot more than the agreed upon week and now it's our turn." Making his way to Jean's side, Scott took her arm gently as he faced Rogue. "As soon as we get back from the honeymoon Jean'll get back to work but for now she's done."

Frustration turned to blinding rage. As Scott pulled his new wife into motion, Rogue spun quickly. Jean sensed the attack and managed to warn Scott mentally of the impending blow. Time seemed to move forward in slow motion as Rogue's tightly clenched fist arched through the air on course for its target. The blow was a foot away when an intense pain ripped through Rogue's hands and with a savage howl, three long shards of bone sliced through her glove covered fist. Jean's eyes widen in horror as the bloody claws connected, tearing into Scott's flesh. His shout of pain echoed through the hallway bringing everyone running.

The congregation stood watching as Rogue removed her fist from where her claws were embedded in Scott's shoulder and stood there in shock, staring at his bloody arm. Her hands fell to her sides, her fists still clenched and shaking, the six-inch bone shards still extended and dripping blood onto the nicely polished hardwood floor.

From the back of the crowd, Logan pushed his way through, taking in the scene before him, in as much shock as everyone else. Jean was on her knees beside Scott, her pristine white wedding dress marred with blood as she ripped the sleeve of her husband's shirt to examine the wound. Rogue was trembling violently and everyone was staring at her. Logan continued to force his way to the front of the crowd and approached her carefully. "Marie," he called softly, knowing that she was spooked and that if startled she would strike again. He knew that because it was what he would do and she was only acting on his instincts.

Rogue turned slowly at the sound of his voice and her tear-filled eyes met his. "Ah didn't mean t'," she sobbed with a look that pleaded for forgiveness dominating her features.

"I know you didn't, darlin'," Logan assured her tenderly, glancing at Jean as he called her mentally. "It's okay, Marie. He's okay."

Slowly Rogue turned her head back toward the wounded groom and found Jean had him on his feet again.

"It was a glancing blow," Jean explained somberly, focusing on the young woman. "Just a flesh wound."

Flesh wound or not, if Scott's cry of pain was any indication it hurt like hell. Rogue raised her eyes to the black and red lenses of his protective eyewear, tears still streaming down her face. "Ah'm sorry, Scott. Ah never meant fer this t' happen."

Scott's jaw clenched tighter whether with anger or pain Rogue couldn't tell. He just looked at her from behind those concealing glasses for a moment before tilting his head slightly in a nod of acceptance.

Everyone watched as the bride led the groom away; both of them covered in blood. When they were out of view, all eyes fell to Rogue. Logan swept a threatening gaze over the crowd and they dispersed pretty quickly.

Moving fully to Rogue's side, Logan wrapped an arm around her shoulder and pulled her against his body. Immediately she turned, burying her face in the front of his shirt and sobbing uncontrollably.

"It's okay, darlin'," Logan soothed as he shifted her in his arms and started leading her toward their room. "C'mon, Marie, it's been a long day." THE END