Author's Chapter Notes:
I don't know what the hell is wrong with me. :)

(This was written quickly during computers class, so please forgive the errors that I'm sure are littered in it.)
He heard her quick greeting as she ran past him. By the time he turned his head the only thing his eyes could pick up was a green blur. It made him wonder what super-speed mutant she had been touching while she was at the mall with Jubilee. Behind him another hurricane of noise walked up.

“Hey, Wolive!” Jubilee practically screamed in his ear.

He wiped around clutching the offended ear and snarled at her. For being such a small girl and never able to even lift herself in training she sure handled all those bags draped over her arms well. “Fucking Chihuahuas are less obnoxious than you,” he growled down at her.

She smiled at him and popped her bright pink gum. “Yeah, but they aren’t nearly as cute.” She winked at him and he snorted.

“Anyway!” Jubilee rolled her eyes and secured the dropping bags on her arms again. “I got new stuff to go play with.”

“Did Rogue buy that much crap too?” He asked, confused by the speed she was able to move if she had.

“Nope,” Jubilee replied. “She only got a couple of things. Wasted 50 bucks, though, on some stupid doll. Do you know how many sunglasses you can buy with 50 bucks?? I told her as much, but you know Rogue-y, she just HAD to have it. Waste much?” She popped her gum again and left him in the hall.

Logan shook his head to try and erase the encounter with Jubilee, like he did after every time he talked to Jubilee. He didn’t want to waste precious memory space on her mind-numbing rambling. One thing always worked when it came to clearing his head—ESPN.

So he went to the teachers media lounge and plopped down on the large, overstuffed sofa. It was so much nicer than the stuff that they had in the student lounges. But that was just because the kids were always ripping, staining, breaking, blowing up the poor furniture in it. The teachers really weren’t much better, Jean had a nasty habit of knocking her drinks over, but the accidents were less often. Plus, they saved the world twice a week, what did the kids do? Study multiplication?

ESPN in the late afternoon, however, needed up being a grave disappointment. No hockey, no baseball, no football or rugby, nothing close to resembling sport. And after a full twenty minutes of watching curling his was ready to ram his claws through his head in boredom. Sure, he was Canadian, but he wasn’t a complete prick. And when Logan was bored he went and did one thing: find Marie.

Since it had only been twenty minutes he headed straight for her room. She was probably still admiring the new clothes she bought; usually tried them all on three or four more times to make sure all the appropriate skin was covered.

When he got there he knocked. A muffled ‘justa second’ floated from the other side but he turned the handle and walked in anyway.

“Hey, kid,” he greeted and shut the door behind him.

She rolled her eyes as she hung another dark navy, long sleeve shirt up in her closet. “You don’t listen very well, sugah.”

“Nope,” he relented with a shrug.

She shot him a ‘shame on you’ look, but a smile was stretched across her face. He made himself comfortable against the wall, leaning nonchalantly back against it, his hands shoved down deep into his front pockets.

“Nothing on TV?” She ventured as she pulled another bag on the bed closer to her.

“Not a damn thing,” he pouted. “Whatca got?”

“Oh,” she started pulling various articles out of the bag. “Nothing, really. It’s not like I need anything, but this stuff was on sale, so.” She shrugged and folded the mentioned articles into neat, perfect squares.

He wanted to knock the neat little pile she was making over. That was Scott’s corruption leaking out through her, he just knew it. “Yellow said you spent a lot of money.”

“What?” She narrowed her eyes, confused, at him. “I did not. All of it was only like 100 dollars, that’s like one-fifth of what she spent.”

“I dunno,” he shrugged again, pulling his hands out of his pockets so he could cross his arms over his chest. “She was squawking about you wasting your money on somethin’.”

“Oh! Yeah,” her face instantly lit up, her dark eyes sparked bright. “She didn’t like something I bought.”

He chocked an eyebrow at her when she didn’t explain any further than that. “Alright, darlin’, I’m listening.”

“It’s nothing, Logan. Really, she was right. I wasted my money.”

She tried to shoo it away but he was having none of it, his curiosity was now fully peaked. If Jubilee didn’t approve of it—he swallowed at the endless possibilities. “Tell me,” he commanded lightly.

She sighed and looked down to another bag on the bed before looking back to him. “Fine,” she grunted.

He waited in baited anticipation as she reached down into the large bag, watched as her arms moved back, pulling, pulling. His brain stopped as he looked down at the revealed purchase.

“…A badger?” he asked in disbelief.

She glared at him then looked down to the stuffed animal in her hands. It was a good size, at least three feet tall. The fur on it was thick, her fingers practically being buried in it, and it was brown with white and black markings around its eyes that went over the top of its head and evidently went around the back.

“No, you dolt,” she huffed at him. “It’s a wolverine.” Her face lighten again as she tugged the tiny jacket the stuffed animal was wearing tighter around it. The tiny, leather, black, studded, biker jacket. The damn thing even had a white t-shirt under it that had tags printed onto it.

“A--” He stuttered as he gawked down at it. He couldn’t help but feel the black beady eyes from behind that pointy snout were clearly issuing a challenge to him.

“A wolverine,” she finished for him, smiling down at the bundle in her arms. “Isn’t it just the cutest thing you’ve ever seen?”

“No,” he groaned as he pushed away from the wall. “Why the hell did you buy a stuffed wolverine? Ain’t you a little old for dolls, kid?”

Her loving doe eyes went icy. “Because I *wanted* to, that’s why! And it’s not a doll, it’s a stuffed animal. Girls are never too old for stuffed animals.”

Noticing the defensive changing in her he raised is hand in defeat and mumbled a whatever. He was going to ask her something else but for the life of him he couldn’t get past those black eyes to get to her. Like the damn little thing was blocking him. “It creeps me out,” he admitted, fighting the urge to snarl at it.

“That’s too bad, because I like him and I worked a long time to make him perfect. Now I have someone to sleep with.” Her face instantly went pale at the words that came out of her mouth. She clenched her eyes shut in embarrassment but the red blush creeping up on her cheek burned on.

Logan wasn’t faring much better and he balked against the heat building up in the room. He cleared his throat, trying to clear the thick tension between them at the same time. The wolverine held close against her bosom was the only one un-phased by her admission. Its eyes were still fixed on Logan.

“I, uh--”Logan started as he backed towards the door. “I, uh, told Scott I’d help him flush the carburetor on the Hummer. I’d—I’d better go.”

She nodded energetically.

“Right.” He nodded and pulled the door open. Before he left he risked another look at the animal to check to see if it was still glaring at him. And it was. He quickly ran out, not even shutting the door behind him.



A silent dinner and no movie night Rogue went to her room and got ready for bed. The day was awkward, yeah, but it was over now and tomorrow they could all just go back to normal. The wolverine was sitting poised on her bed as she pulled on her long nightgown and brushed her hair.

She crawled under the covers, wrapping her body around it and was instantly comforted by the soft warm fur pressed against her front. With her insomnia it usually took hours for her to fall asleep, if she did at all. But now she was completely content and relaxed. She sighed happily and rubbed her cheek against the animal’s soft one and was quickly falling peacefully into slumber.



Logan eased the door carefully closed behind him. He had tried so hard to fall asleep, but it eluded him. Not because when he closed his eyes he saw scientists or tanks, no he saw something much worse. He saw beady, little, black eyes.

He crept quietly into the room, her relaxed form visible to his eyes even in the pitch black. He looked down at her and smiled. Her face was relaxed, her lips parted just slightly as she breathed in and out, a prefect angel. His eyes fell away from her face to the black eyes that haunted him; they were so cruel and unloving in contrast to her softness.

He growled at the beast and gripped its head in his large hand. With a hard tug he ripped it out from under her and out of her arms and threw it across the room.

Rogue immediately sprang up, startled, when her companion was taken from her. “Logan?!” She mumbled sleepily, her eyelids only have open.

He didn’t say anything but just grumbled as he lifted the edge of the sheets up and crawled in between them. She stiffened on her side as he made himself comfortable on his back, assuming the place that had been previously occupied.

She was in completely shock as she stared at him. When she didn’t move he wrapped an arm around her waist and growled as he pulled her flat against. She was still stiff but only for a second before her lips moved into a slow grin. Then she settled against him and wrapped her body around his, laying her arm over his stomach and her head down onto his chest. All the muscles in her body relaxed and she sighed as she rubbed her cheek against the warmth of his torso.