I saw him briefly when they brought him in. Strapped to a gurney, heavily chained and sedated. Hicks came to see me. He had a set of scars on his face, three clean slices running from his left temple, over his nose and ending to the right side of his jaw.

“He’s physically alright. Better than alright. But… It isn’t a good idea for you to go to see him yet. He’s… Messed up from the head.”

And whose fault is that? Who left him there, abandoned him in to that hell? I did that. I decided that the lives of Hicks and mine were worth more than Logan’s sanity. Hicks tried to stop me. Told me that we could wait on the orbit until he was better, and then go back and look for Logan. I wanted just to get away from there. Selfish bitch.

“I’m sure they’ll tell you when it’s safe to go see him.”

Selfish bitch, who left Logan in to that hell, traded his life for a better life for me. A life I squandered fast. First year I lived at the base with Hicks. We were fucking. There was no love, just sex. It kept my nightmares at bay for a while.

“They hadn’t been… Hadn’t been hurting him more than it was absolutely necessary. The queen… I think it was little taken with him. Or something. No matter how many embryos it laid Logan didn’t die. He was the perfect host, so they kept him fed and somewhat comfortable.”

Like it matters. I saw that in my mind; saw everything as clear as the day. Logan in a black, glistening cocoon, screaming and struggling when yet another one of those creatures was eating its fill from his innards and then tearing out through his stomach. I kept seeing it, and when those visions came so vivid that I could no longer tell what was real and what was my imagination I asked Hicks to bring me here. Dr. Jeffries has been my shrink for the past nine years. He’s good. He’s the best there is, and even he hasn’t managed to root out those nightmares from me.

“I saw Jeffries. He told me that he’d try to arrange your meeting with Logan as soon as it’s possible. He thinks it might help you.”

----------------------------------------------------------

“Kid? Take Hicks and leave… I’m not going to make it… But before you go, put Hicks on the line. I’ll… I’ll give him my coordinates. A good place to drop few nukes, I think… I think this is the main chamber…”

Oh, God…

“Kid? Marie? Wait up… Tell Hicks to take good care of you… If he isn’t, I’ll hunt him down and drag him in to Hell with me.”

After those words a brief pause, then something tearing and wet, dripping sound.

“Fuck… Put Hicks on the line, kid… Now…”

Dr. Jeffries thinks that it isn’t healthy for me to keep listening that recording, but for so many years it was all that I had left. At first it made me cry. Then, when I could concentrate past his voice and words it made me feel sick when I realized what was happening while he spoke. The black beast was hatching from him. Now, in a perverse way it gives me hope. He told us to go.