”It’s your turn, kid. I think this chamber used to be your ship’s mess. Isn’t this where we found you?”

This is where Logan found me. I was in that corner, dead on sure that I’d die. One of the creatures had decided to try if it could implant an embryo in me. Logan got in the way when it jumped towards me, and instead of me he got infected. Now there’s no egg on the floor ready to hatch, but I can’t…

“Easy now, kid… It’s okay. Just take us to the queen’s chamber, okay? You think you could do that?”

He’s pale. Pale and sweating. He’s afraid. He tries to act like there’s nothing wrong, but it’s kind of pointless when that beaten-dog –expression on his face gives his bluff away. He’s afraid. And four men that are left from our group are grinning from ear to ear. Why? What is so funny?

----------------------------------------------------------

“When we get out of here you make sure that you stick with Hicks. Is that clear?”

Hicks? He’s alive? But…

“I’m going to grab one of those fuckers in to me and when we get back to the ship they’re putting me in to stasis so that it doesn’t start developing. You stick with Hicks, kid. The rest of these assholes… Stay clear from them.”

No!

“Come on, kid. Let go. Let go of me. It’s… It’s not bad. As soon as we get back home they’re taking it out and we can… Kid?”

----------------------------------------------------------

I’m getting out of here. I can hide. I can go and hide and I don’t have to worry over anybody but myself for the rest of my life. Just past the queen’s chamber, through this corridor and…

“Don’t move. Don’t move a fucking inch. Back out… Slowly.”

Hicks. And the queen. Hicks with a rifle that looks like a toy compared to the queen. There are eggs everywhere and they’re all ready to hatch.

“Back out slowly and go and get Logan. Do it now.”

They’re not moving. Hicks is aiming at one of the eggs with his rifle and the queen is hanging from the ceiling like an obsidian statue, drool dribbling from its jaws.

“Move. I don’t know how long I can stand here. Tell Logan to hurry up.”

It’s just Hicks. Just Hicks. Maybe if it was Logan I would do what he asks me to do but… Oh, God. I can’t just leave him there alone! I have to go back and find Logan. Maybe he won’t have the time to go through with that stupid plan when Hicks is in trouble?

----------------------------------------------------------

“Where the hell did you go?”

Now is not the time to start arguing or explaining. I grab his hand and pull him after me. Team follows us. We run, run, we have to get there faster before the queen decides that one egg is an acceptable loss when dealing with Hicks!

“Dwayne.”

Hicks only raises his chin slightly. There’s sweat on his face and his knees are shivering. There’s practically nothing left from his left arm. The queen turns its head and lets out a low hiss. Like a cat. Warning us from getting closer. And there’s movement all around us. As soon as Hicks lowers his rifle they will strike. Then the rest of the team barges in and all bets are off.