Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay. One more people from Aliens movie-verse steps in to picture.
”There it was.”

They’re staring at awe. What once used to be highly effective, top-modern cargo ship has now turned to a living fortress. As centuries have passed generation after generation the black beasts have grown in skill and numbers. The Nest has grown in size and complexity as they have been adding their fallen pack mate’s chitin enforced bodies to form more durable structure. A huge hive with hundreds of possible entries.

“Go in and die, or turn back home and live. Kid and me... We have done our share.”

Logan says and sits to a rock, letting me down from his shoulders. He hasn’t understood yet. Doesn’t understand for what exactly they needed me for on this trip. He’ll soon realize. He has done his share. Now it’s time for me to start leading the troops. I know the inner core of the Nest. After all, I lived in there a month, hiding from those black beasts and eating rations I found from the remains of our ship.

----------------------------------------------------------

“I’ll take care of her.”

Logan grabs my hand. Falls in step next to Hicks. I like Hicks. He’s nice. Almost like Logan. He doesn’t like Logan, but I think he likes me. He doesn’t glare and whisper like the others when I’m around. And I think Logan knows that I like him. He lets me walk next to Hicks and tries not to snap at him like he does to the others.

“But anything happens to her in there… Heads will roll. Those black bastards are amateurs compared to me when it comes to making people hurt…”

Hicks nods. And tells Logan that I’m the first priority once we get in because I’m the only one who can navigate in there. Then he ruffles my hair. Logan’s grip from my hand tightens.

“Careful, Dwayne. I’m not dragging your comatose ass home…”

----------------------------------------------------------

We manage to get in undetected. This is the newer part of the Nest, and I don’t have the slightest of clue where to go. Logan and Hicks decide that we start walking towards the core. Take the shortest possible route through the maze of corridors.

“Everybody, keep your mouth shut. These fuckers can track us down easily enough as it is…”

Hicks. He’s crouching next to me, whispering to the intercom. He smiles and winks at me. Then Logan’s there, grabbing us and throwing us to safety when the wall next to us suddenly moves and it isn’t a wall, it’s a beast and that jaw shots right through Logan’s thigh and it’s stupid, stupid thing to do but I can’t stop screaming because it’s tearing in to Logan, hurting him and there’s so much blood and Hicks is there he’s shooting, he’s shooting and if he isn’t careful… No!


----------------------------------------------------------

“Stop screaming kid before I smack you.”

Logan’s alright. He’s healing; he’s not bleeding anymore. He’s tearing off smoking and melting gear from Hicks. Vest, his gun, radio, everything until Hicks is naked from waist up and there’s still that glowing green blood on him and it’s eating him, burning through skin and muscle. Logan tries to wipe it off but Hicks stops him. Pulls Logan closer and I can hear them whispering something. I can’t hear the words, but Logan squeezes Hicks’ hand and gives him back his rifle.

“Time to go, kid…”

We’re walking deeper in to the nest, rest of the team sliding carefully from shadow to shadow. I turn to look back. Hicks leans against the wall, clutching his rifle. His left shoulder is an ugly mess of green slime and coagulated blood, and I can’t be sure from this distance, but I think… Yes. His left hand… It’s… It’s melting. I can see something pink and white; I think that’s his upper arm bones… He lets go of his rifle and raises his right arm. Waves at me and tries to smile. It’s more of a grimace. And I don’t want to go. I want to stay here and make sure that he gets better but Logan keeps dragging me away.