It was a beautiful day. Little dusting of snow under her feet crunched crisply, and fresh air tickled her nose. During her short journey to the village the fox escorted her. She wasn’t sure, but it almost looked as if it was keeping an eye on her whenever Logan wasn’t at her side. Her little shadow. She reminded herself that she should try and see if any of the merchants were selling fresh fish. The fox would probably like it, and surely deserved every treat she could afford to.

“Buddy…” She giggled, noting the fox’s bulging belly. Only Logan would name a female fox Buddy. The fox stopped upon hearing her silent whisper and giggles and tilted her head.
“You’re going to be a mommy as well? Congratulations. May your cubs be healthy and strong,” Marie said smiling, feeling a little foolish, talking to a fox. Buddy looked at her as if she had understood her every word, then suddenly attacked her hind paw, nibbling it with her small teeth and bathing it with pink tongue. Fleas.


He woke up slowly. Fire was crackling in the fireplace, he could still smell the bread and stew, but something was missing. Marie. The bed was already cold from her side. He frowned, then remembered what day it was. Market day. He grinned and stretched his back, kicking the blanket off reluctantly. He was still tired, but felt well enough to get up.

After he got dressed he spent a moment tidying up the cabin. Threw the last scraps from the stew outside. Buddy would need all the extra food she could gather. He found the note from the kitchen table, written with Marie’s flowing handwriting. She had gone to the village as he suspected. Her basket and cloak were missing. As were almost half of their money as well. He should hurry up. If she was planning to use that much money, she shouldn’t be carrying her purchases alone, not in her condition.

He saddled his horse and turned it to the path that was adorned with Marie’s footsteps. She had chosen the shortest route through the forest. He saw Buddy’s paw prints next to Marie’s and smiled. The fox had taken the habit of following Marie seriously.

Buddy was waiting for him at the edge of the forest.
“She went in to the village?” He asked. Buddy yipped and he threw a small piece of bread for it.
“Good girl, Buddy. There’s something for you back at home.” The fox took the bread and disappeared in to the thicket.

He let his gaze rest in the village down below for a moment before he urged his horse down the slope. Weather was nice and crisp, and his earlier tiredness was almost completely gone.

The small village of Blackwater, usually quiet and peaceful lot of land was now filled to the brim with people. Merchants, entertainers, craftsmen and their customers filled every nook and cranny, and it was an effort to wade through the crowd. Logan had left his horse outside of the village and was cursing his decision already. He had shooed off at least ten pickpockets and even more merchants that had tried to sell him items that he knew were mostly junk. Scent of herbs was guiding him towards a small, secluded tent next to tavern. Where there were herbs, Marie would most likely be there.


She was packing her purchases to her basket when she felt it. A premonition of sorts. Something would happen, soon. She said goodbyes with the merchant and turned to leave when Logan stepped in to the tent.
“Hi! I thought you’d be still sleeping when I get back home,” she said. Logan smiled and took the basket from her.
“I know how much you have waited for this day. I wouldn’t have missed this.” Together they stepped out of the tent.

She had to grasp Logan’s arm to stop the crowd from jostling them apart.
“Hungry?” Logan asked. She couldn’t help wondering how attuned he was to her and her needs. Now that she thought of it, she wasn’t just hungry. She was practically starving.
“I could eat.”
“What will it be for the lady? Tavern or home?” Logan asked. She felt a pang of guilt. They really couldn’t afford to…
“Tavern… If that’s okay, I…”
“Tavern it is. But I must warn you. It’ll be most likely packed to the brim by now,” Logan grunted and started clearing a path for them through the masses of people.

At the door of the tavern they froze. They both spotted a familiar face in the crowd. The man who had been Logan’s keeper during his captivity in the freak show sat at the bar, sipping ale.