Large courtyard was filled with servants, chariots, trunks and baggage. She spotted Robert Drake, her coming husband from the crowd and slinked behind Logan’s back.
“What are you doing?” Logan asked.
“I don’t want to see him now. Hide me…”
“Where?” Logan asked perplexed when Robert waved with his hand and started making his way through the crowd to them.
“Oh, no. No, no… Just stand there!” She squeaked, ducking under the large, billowy cape that hung from Logan’s shoulders, making sure that the brim of it covered her feet and the hem of her dress. She could hear Logan barking a command to few of the guards that had been escorting them, and she could feel through the cape them moving standing behind Logan, covering the telltale bulge on the cape.

“Wolverine. I thought I saw Rogue…”
“You saw wrong, Drake. She’s been in her room the whole day. She wasn’t feeling very well this morning,” She could hear Logan explaining. He shifted his feet slightly and nearly stepped on her fingers. She sucked in the squeak and snatched them back just as the sole of his boot landed on to cobblestone where they had been.
“She’s sick? That is unfortunate.”
“Yes, it is. But I wouldn’t be worried. I’m sure it’s nothing serious.”
“You would know, wouldn’t you… Wolverine,” Robert snarled.
“Most likely. Do you want me to deliver her a message? Tell her that you’re arrived? I’m sure she’d be happy to hear…”
“Cut the crap. I know perfectly well how joyfully she’s expecting our ceremony.”
“She’s young. She’s nervous. She’ll come around when the time comes.”
“But what are you still doing here? Did Xavier found you a new position from the staff?”

Robert’s question clearly annoyed Logan; she could tell it from the way his calf muscles coiled, stretching the soft leather of his boots. She brought her fingers warningly over his calves, praying every possible higher deity to keep Logan’s temper at bay.

“I’ll be guarding Rogue until she finds a suitable droid for herself. Didn’t Xavier inform you?”
“But I sent her a droid already!”
“Yes, you did. But she found it clumsy. She’s going through different options until she finds the one of her liking.”
“We’ll see about that… Goddamned… That man has always been too lenient…” She could hear Robert leaving, muttering under his breath. She started to move, but felt Logan’s hand on top of her head.
“Stay down. He’s not gone yet.”

Finally after what felt like hours Logan stepped forward, releasing her from under his cape and helping her up from the ground.

“Care to explain what was that all about?” He asked. He sounded genuinely curious, but there was anger in his voice as well.
“This morning I thought you had finally figured out what it takes to be a ruler. It doesn’t look like that anymore. You’re acting like a spoiled brat.”
“Spoiled brat? Do you have any idea what would have happened if Robert saw me with you? He would have frozen you, no questions asked!”
“You start forgetting that it’s my job to protect you, not the other way around, Marie.”
“Fine! Next time I just let him turn you to a block of ice! Maybe we can use you to decorate the table at our ceremony. You’d make a good wine cooler and fruits would stay cool and fresh around you!”
“Marie…”
“It’s Rogue. Don’t forget your place, Wolverine…”
“I won’t. Fucking…”
“What was that?”
“Just that I would perhaps remember my place and status better if certain obnoxious brat would remember hers. I’m not a servant, your highness. I’m your shadow.”
“Maybe I should accept the droid Robert send for me…”
“Please, do. There’s still hours left in this day. I have time to gather my things and I can be out of here before nightfall.”
“Fine.”

She raised her chin and straightened her posture, gathered the hem of her dress and started walking towards the main entrance, remembering at the last possible moment why it was practically impossible to enter through there. She was supposed to be in her room, wallowing in the clutches of nausea, not running around the castle and storming to the throne room. She stopped and turned reluctantly to look at Logan who stood waiting patiently.

“On the other hand, maybe it’s better that I wait until after dinner. Father is always in better mood when he has eaten,” she said, turning to a path that lead around the castle, and would bring her to the kitchen door. The people working in there had long ago gotten accustomed to Logan sneaking her in after curfew or them raiding the pantry after unsatisfactory meal, so they wouldn’t raise a ruckus.