He was getting nervous. They had spent longer in the shop than it was absolutely necessary, going over different options, and she had been turning them down. They were too big, too small, too noisy, too silent, too…
“What about this one?” He patted a promising looking droid. Humanoid in shape, equipped with two laser cannons and a cudgel. She shook her head and he traded glances with the blacksmith.
“Well, perhaps the lady would like to see something different, then?” The blacksmith asked, steering them towards the backroom.

Heat radiating from the forge was enough to raise small beads of sweat on to her forehead. Logan handed her a handkerchief to wipe them off, trying to see what the blacksmith was offering. A lump of metal. Dull and grey, square lump of metal, little wider than a man’s palm, and not much thicker.
“What’s that?” He asked.
“I use this material to reinforce the plating around droid’s power source. I melt it, and add little something to it, and after it cools down it’s indestructible.”
“And? We’re looking for a droid, not spare parts.”
“I’m aware of your gift. You heal. I could use this metal to reinforce you.”
“Excuse me?”
“I could weld this to your bones. Make them stronger. Unbreakable. The lady wouldn’t need a droid…”
“The lady will take a droid.”

In the end Marie refused and told him she needed more time to think about all the options.
“But you can forget upgrading me,” he grunted when they stepped out from the shop.
“God! How can you even think about… What kind of a person you think I am? I thought you knew me better than that!” She hissed.
“I saw the look on your face when he flashed that lump of shit…”
“I was only thinking that maybe we could ask him to make a sword for you from that material as a thank you for all the years you have been taking care of me, you big ox!”

He couldn’t smell a lie on her, and suddenly he felt disgusted about himself. He had spent the past fifteen years his every waking hour, even in sleep with her. He really should have known better.
“I’m sorry,” he grunted his apology before stepping in front of her to make way through the crowd.