She sat at the table and Logan took his usual spot from behind her chair, his sword drawn, tip of it braced against the floor and his large palms resting over the hilt. She could hear him muttering something under his breath when Scott walked in and took his spot from the table, sitting opposite her. The droid guarding him rolled behind his chair, almost tripped over because there was a small lump in the carpet, then hissed silently and arranged both of its massive arms to the backrest of Scott’s chair, high-powered lasers mounted on its shoulders buzzing with low frequency. She grimaced. Even thought of something that clumsy and noisy following her around everywhere she went made her nervous and uncomfortable.

Food came, and as soon as Logan told her it was edible she dug in. She’d need all the energy she could get, because she’d have to convince only not just her father and Robert, she’d have to use all her skills to make Logan to see as well what and idiotic idea it was to replace him with a machine.

Dinner was a silent happening. No noise aside from utensils scraping against the porcelain and feather-light steps of the servants ruptured the almost magical cloak of calm that rested over the hall. It was a long-time tradition to not to speak during the dinner, probably born out of some stupid dispute centuries ago.

Today she felt a little rebellious. She was planning to go against the great schematics of her life that her husband to be and her father had crafted anyway, so she could as well start now. She cleared her throat and stood up, motioning back the servant that rushed forth to take her half eaten meal.

“I would like to make an announcement!” She spoke with stern voice, startling servants, as well as her father and brother. She could feel silent rage radiating from Logan, but she ignored it.
“I’m going to have the unification ceremony to be moved forward with one month.”

Silent, yet distinctive ‘fuck’ whispered behind her told her exactly what Logan was thinking about her decision. Her brother stood up abruptly, startling the droid guarding him momentarily.
“Rogue!”

Only one in the room that appeared to be completely unfazed was her father. He sat on his chair, chewed thoughtfully and flushed his mouth with a sip of wine before dabbling his lips with handkerchief.
“Scott. Sit down and finish your meal.”
“But father…”
“Sit down and finish your meal, son. And Rogue… We’ll discuss about this later today. You better have some good, solid arguments to present for me, because moving the ceremony under current situation is… Is difficult.”

She turned from the table, her knees shaking, but not out of fear. Out of relief. Father had agreed to discuss with her instead of shooing her away. She heard Logan shifting, sheathing the sword and falling to step behind her. She feigned faltering and he was at her side, offering his arm for her support. She didn’t turn to look, but she could feel both Scott and her father staring at them. She straightened her back and raised her chin, squeezing Logan’s arm and prevented him from returning to his lawful place, practically forcing him to escort her out from the room like a man instead of doing it like a servant.