He held her long after her sobs had subsidized and turned in to even, light breathing. She had fallen asleep. Small and fragile, scared to the bone, clinging on to him even in deep sleep. He lowered her carefully on the bed, untangling her fingers from his armor before straightening his back.

He went on to the task of making her more comfortable, loosening the strings that bound her gown, opening her collar and removing her tiara before taking a blanket and spreading it over her. So small. Tiny. And already deep in the politics, a thing her father used in bargaining.

He checked the windows and doors of her room, found them locked and barred and nodded satisfied. Then turned away from her reluctantly, taking a step towards the door. He was going to do something he hadn’t done once during the whole fifteen years he had been guarding her.

He walked out from the door, locking it behind him, leaving her sleeping unprotected.

He found his way to the throne room, having visited there several times escorting Marie. Xavier was sitting on his throne, and he could tell from the scent floating in the air that he had just missed Scott leaving.

“Wolverine. This is quite a surprise. Where is my daughter?” Xavier asked.
“Sleeping. She was quite upset.”
“I’d imagine so. The message Robert asked me to deliver to her was far from pleasant…” Xavier muttered.
“Permission to speak freely?” Logan asked. Xavier huffed.
“You don’t have to ask, Wolverine. You have been guarding my daughter with your life for the past fifteen years. I’d like to think that would have granted you the privilege to talk to me as a free man.”
“Send the droid back to Robert. Rogue doesn’t want it. And if you are worried about… If you think that you can’t trust me no longer, let her choose the droid of her liking from the blacksmith by herself. She might be more open-minded if…”
“It’s not you I’m worried about. Neither is Robert. But we’re both concerned about Rogue. You have become very close with her. I have allowed that to happen, because I foolishly thought that she saw you just as her protector. When Robert was here a year ago he confronted me about the situation. He was very uncomfortable after witnessing her interactions with you. They’re far from what they should be. She’s treating you almost as if you were her…”
“Don’t. I don’t know what Robert has seen or what he has thought of it, but he’s wrong.”
“I have seen in to my daughters mind and heart. As much as I would love to tell Robert how wrong he is, I’m afraid it’s quite impossible. My daughter loves you.”
“I have guarded her for years! It’s no wonder she sees me as her surrogate father…”
“She doesn’t love you like a daughter loves her father. She loves you as a woman loves a man.”
“No. You have misunderstood… She doesn’t… I haven’t done anything to…”
“I know you have only been performing your duties. And I have seen in to your heart as well. Your mind is still a mystery to me, but your heart… Only reason I’m willing to negotiate with you in this matter is the absence of lust in you. I know you love my daughter, but you harbor no intentions to act upon that love. You’re entitled to your feelings, as long as they don’t get in the way of your duties. And your duty is to protect the interest of the kingdom. Right now the best way to achieve that goal is to keep her happy and have her union with Robert happen. As for what comes in to the droid Robert sent her, I’ll send it back, on one condition. She is to go and find herself a new droid before the unification ceremony.”