“I came to talk with you, father.” She approached the throne regally, back straight and head held high, even when her stomach felt like it was trying to sink to the floor and was pulling her down with it. No matter how often she visited her father in the throne room, magnificent surroundings made her feel insignificant and small.
“Yes. I was expecting you. Your brother came to see me last night.”
“I don’t know what Scott told you, but…”
“The new droid was a present from Robert. I think him and his family would be much more lenient towards your union if you’d…” Her father started. Crippled old man, sitting on a throne, heavy crown covering his bald head. Keeper of the knowledge, and ruler of the world, but for how long?
“If Robert wanted to give me a gift, why didn’t he send me a new horse? Or jewels? He knows that I’m more than well protected…”
“Where is your guardian now?” Her father asked.
“I sent him to blacksmith. He’ll return as soon as he’s ready.”
“I have reason to believe that Wolverine and his impact on you made Robert choose more unconventional gift.”
“His impact on me? Father, I don’t understand…”
“Robert was less than pleased when he realized that your guardian spends his nights in your room.”
“But… How else is he supposed to look after me? What if somebody comes in through the window while I sleep?”
“That was exactly why Robert send the droid to you. It’s perfectly trained to function as a guardian, and it has been programmed keeping in mind that it will be spending all of its time with close quarters with you.”
“But… Log… Wolverine already does that. I don’t need another guardian, Father.”
“Robert doesn’t want Wolverine anywhere near you. He wants his bride to stay pure for the wedding night.”
“What?”
“Robert thinks…”
“I don’t care what he thinks! That’s… That’s just disgusting!”
“What about what I’m thinking, Rogue?”
“Father…”

It was hard to keep her tears at bay any longer. She could feel the nausea churning in her stomach, hear her father’s words as he accused her, accused her guardian for something unspeakable.

She left the throne room with numb legs, brushing past Scott who waited at the outside, hurrying towards her room before he said anything.
“Rogue!” she could hear Scott calling her, but she didn’t have the strength to turn and look. All her willpower went to staying up on her feet and pushing forward.

She grasped the door handle, found it too heavy and slumped against the door. Pair of strong hands grasped her, pushed the door open and carried her in, laying her on the bed where she curled and cried.

She could hear Logan shuffling around. Water poured from carafe to a glass. Mattress dipped slightly. Logan was helping her to sit up and held the glass for her.
“What happened? Are you alright? Should I send for a medic?” He asked. She took the glass he was offering and drank deeply, then shook her head.
“No… I’m not sick. It’s just something my father said. And Robert. They’re…” She couldn’t bring herself to speak out loud the hideous accusations.
“Robert? Is he here already?” Logan asked.
“No. But it was him who sent the droid for me. And I don’t want it… I don’t…” The glass fell from her fingers. Logan caught it before the water got spilled on her bed and placed it on to the table.
“Hush, little one…” He gathered her close, wrapping her inside of his arms and cape, letting her settle comfortably against the cold chest plate of his armor. Cool metal warmed quickly under her cheek, and she clutched the brims of the plate desperately. Within a week she was getting married, and her coming husband hated the man that was her only protection, only sanctuary in the whole world.