“So… About these neighbors of yours…” Logan started and she swallowed.
“What about them?” She squeaked.
“Which ones of them are giving you troubles?”
“Umm… There’s this old lady that lives above me. I think she’s secretly plotting to get me married to the guy living next door me. And then below me lives a family with five girls, they’re all girl scouts and they keep pestering me with their cookies and if they don’t stop I’m going to have to say good bye to half of my wardrobe. I swear I have put on several kilos since I moved in here.”
“Really? Well, I have to say it suits you just fine.”
“Really?”
“Yeah. Woman should have a little meat over her bones.”
“I bet Cindy would have loved that comment,” she joked, relieved that she had gotten Logan distracted.
“Cindy?” Logan asked puzzled look on his face.
“The chick you were banging couple months ago.”
“Oh… Yeah. Skinny as hell. But beast in bed,” Logan nodded, taking a sip from his coffee.
“If she was so good, why’d you ended with her?”
“Wasn’t me. She broke it off.
“Oh, I’m sorry…”
“Don’t be. It was fun while it lasted… So… How about you? It’s been a while since you and Bobby… Have you found anybody interesting yet?”
“Found one years ago, just before I met Bobby. Bastard was too blind to see the benefits of hooking up with me.”
“I saw the benefits, believe me, I saw. But I have this funky sixth sense that told me that if I had gotten it on with you, Xavier would have had me neutered and arrested.”

It didn’t matter that it probably was a complete lie. Logan had never shown any interest towards her beyond friendship, but his confession stroked her ego that had been flattened few months ago. So she leaned little tighter against his side, nuzzling her face against the texture of his shirt.
“Getting tired?” Logan asked. She shrugged. It was well past her usual bedtime. As soon as the thought crossed her mind she grimaced. She was thinking like an old lady.
“Couch okay for you? Just for this night. Well go shopping you a proper bed tomorrow.”
“It’s okay. Have slept in worse places. Just remember, if I’m talking in my sleep, don’t…”
“Don’t get too close or try to wake you up. Been there, done that, won’t happen again,” she promised, her gaze sweeping briefly over his knuckles.

She could still remember the feeling of dangling in front of him, skewered through the shoulder. Utter horror and panic in his eyes, then sharp relief when she leaned over to touch him. He hadn’t know what her mutation was capable of, but from the tangled bundle of thoughts and emotions she had pulled out from him along his mutation and life she could make out his opinion of what had happened. It had been only fair. He had hurt her. For her it may have even looked like he had tried to kill her, so it was only fitting for her to attack him.

It had taken her quite some time to explain to him that it hadn’t been an attack directed towards him. That it had been purely instinctual reaction. That her body had just tried to stay alive.

“Do you have work tomorrow?” Logan asked.
“Yeah. My shift starts at seven. But don’t worry; I’ll be quiet as a mouse. You can sleep as long as you like. I’ll leave you my spare keys.”
“Now what kind of a bodyguard would I be if I slept in while you’re walking a whole block alone out there? Of course I’m coming with you!”
“Our breakfast special lasts until eleven.”
“Oh… Never mind, then. I’ll come around ten, that okay?” Logan asked. She nodded.

She woke up yawning widely, trying to remember what made this day so special. Then she smiled. Not special. Just different. Logan was here. This was the first day she was sharing her tiny apartment with him. And judging from the last night, everything would go well.

She put on her nightgown and bathrobe before walking in to the kitchen. She had to back up a bit and take a second look, because her still sleepy brain refused to comprehend what she was seeing at the first glimpse.

Logan was sleeping on the floor instead of the couch. He had taken the cushions and laid them in front of the radiator. He was practically hugging the metal contraption, all wrapped up to the blanket advertising Care Bears. She cursed her luck, or more the lack of it. She had a camera. She had even film for it. But by the time she got the camera operational, Logan would be wide-awake. She shook her head, fetched her bedcovers and spread them on top of Logan. He muttered his thanks with voice hoarse from sleep, curled even closer to the radiator and wrapped the covers she had given him tightly around him.

She took a shower, then got dressed and skipped the breakfast, because apparently she had been ogling her sleeping friend far longer than it was absolutely necessary. She’d have to run to get in to work at time. At the front door of the building she turned back, raced to the elevators and selected her floor. Run back to her apartment and turned the thermostat of the radiator warmer. Then started back to work, already five minutes late. Made a mental note to invest to some hot water bottles later.