Author's Chapter Notes:
Ok ok... So I tossed in some of the movie lines. They're so cute, how could I resist!!
Logan and Marie


“Where exactly are you taking me, kid?”

Wolverine was anything but happy. First his favourite Camper, fourth in a long line of campers, was now basically useless unless he planned to settle down in the middle of the road. Two, of all the people he had to drive into, it had to be the most annoying, young, squeekish * don’t forget beautiful, soft, untouchable innocent, I’m so screwed… * brat on the road. If that wasn’t enough he almost had life sucked completely from him – though he’d never admit that it was partly his fault too. He was in no mood to be fucked around, and being rushed from his Camper while he had an ear splitting headache… he considered that being fucked around.

When Rogue didn’t answer he growled loudly and grabbed her gloved hand. He was not going to move another step before she told him where the hell the where heading. He planted his feet and with a yelp, Rogue came to a halt as well. She turned around, furious. Her arm hurt from the sudden yanking action.

“What do you think you’re doing!? I told you never to touch me again!” she glared at him and tried to pull her hand out of his. When that didn’t work she decided it was time to use her gifts from ‘Dear Carol’ again. Grabbing a hold of his wrist she pulled him passed her, using his momentum to slam him into a nearby tree. She flew up to him and hovered in front of him, her eyes parallel with his. Needless to say he was more than just a little stunned at what had happened. Even more so now that he could smell her so much better. She was definitely unafraid, but she was still nervous. *So, little girl is afraid of her own big powers. Interesting…* Wolverine did his best not to smirk. Instead he kept his face blank as he answered.

“Listen ‘Rogue’, you just wrecked my camper, and then nearly killed me. Not to mention rushing me out of there before I could even grab my stuff. Now I wanna know where the FUCK you’re taking me, and I want to know NOW!”

Rogue floated back a few feet and landed. He’d been out for hours; they didn’t have time to argue.

“Fine, go back to you’re blasted Camper, but if you die in the bitch of a snow storm headed this way, don’t expect me to help you!” she turned away and walked on, and after a minute or so she heard an angry grumble and footsteps crunching in the snow behind her as Wolverine hurried to catch up. She should have just left him in the camper. But she knew she never would have. Apart from having saved mutants for the past three years as leader of an elite mutant team called X-JM, or the junior X-men, she felt a connection to the big brute. She just didn’t know what type yet. She continued leading the way to the small cottage she’d found, hidden deep in the woods.


Wolverine was just as busy with his thoughts. After being rammed into a tree by a bloody teenager he still had no explanation, and no matter how he’d tried to convince his body not to follow the kid, it had it’s own mind. Before he knew what happened he was following her again. He growled softly before catching up to her. She probably had some mind control powers thrown into her dangerous little mix.

Which brought another earlier thought back to him. She’d sounded like him twice now. Once in the Camper, and again when she’d slammed him to the tree. She’d started sounding like that after he’d touched her. He’d also noticed that all her bruises where gone. So she borrowed some of his powers. Maybe that was why she was so afraid of her skin. *Many ways around that* he thought, before giving himself a hard mental punch. Of all the things Wolverine was, Cradle Snatcher was NOT one of them.

Yet, through careful observation, the way she moved she couldn’t really be described as a child, and he knew it. O, did he know. But as long as she was still the bratty kid in his mind, they were both safe. For now, at least.

Wolverine was so busy with his jumble of thoughts that he didn’t notice Rogue coming to a stop and he ran into her. With an OOF, they both fell to the ground. For the first time the Wolverine smelled fear on Rogue. She was afraid of his closeness. She was afraid of harming him with her skin. Had to be, because she hadn’t been afraid of hurting him with punches, that was for sure. Maybe her skin hurt her as well? He made a mental note to ask her about it later.

Meanwhile, Rogue was screaming, wiggling and trying to claw her way our from under the heavy Wolverine. Too close…he was too close. Feeling herself freed as he stood up, Rogue jumped of the ground and punched him hard, braking his nose. She scowled at him, watching as he righted his nose and allowed it to heal. Surprised by her punch he was infuriated, the animal in him screaming for retribution. His claws sprang from his fists and he breathed heavily.

At the sight of his claws Rogue felt some of her anger drained away. Metal claws were just not a mutation. She immediately thought of the horrible images she’d seen when he’d touched her. Wolverine smelled the sudden change in her scent, but he didn’t sheath his claws. He watched her warily as she moved forward, her eyes on his claws. When she came within two feet of him it was to much for Wolverine and he took a step back, sheathing his claws. She looked up at him inquiringly.

“Move. Snow storm, remember?” he grunted and Rogue nodded, turning and running forward. A couple of minutes later Wolverine saw what he though must be their destination. A small wooden cottage, hidden in the middle of nowhere. Well, he wasn’t about to complain. They stopped in front of the door, breathing heavily. Both recovering quickly, Rogue leaned forward and pushed the door open.



Stepping into the mild warmth the shelter of the walls offered, Wolverine took a deep breath. It wasn’t lost on Rogue.

“There’s nobody here. I’ve cleaned it out a bit in the nine hours that you where asleep. I also brought most of your things and the food you had stashed in the Camper.” She glared at him pointedly, not having had the time to explain that she’d moved most of the things here already. Knowing he made a mistake, Wolverine grunted. He was not going to apologize.

“The people who used to live here also left us an abundant supply of candles, matches, and canned food that’s still pretty good. I think we have everything we need here.” Wolverine arched an eyebrow at her.

“Everything we need? For what?”

Rogue sighed. “There’s a storm coming in that’s gonna be snowing us in for a month at least.” Wolverine’s eyes grew wide.

“A MONTH!! With YOU? What about cigars, beer, the games! I can’t survive a month on canned food, I need meat!” He didn’t want to sound panicked, though he was quite a bit disturbed at this latest revelation. Rogue simply shrugged.

“Do whatever you want, sugah. I’m gonna settle in and get ready for the storm. Ain’t gonna be getting out of here anytime soon.” She moved to the kitchen and grabbed two cans and a pot from one of the cabinets. Using the pump by the sink she pumped some water into the pot and placed it over the gas stove she’d brought from the camper. She looked at the cans and tossed them to Wolverine.

“Mind opening those sugah?” she asked as she lit a small fire beneath the pot. Moving quickly to the fireplace, she lit a fire under the wood that she’d stocked up before getting Wolverine. Within minutes it was roaring, casting the room in an eerie glow. She turned around to find Wolverine standing with the two cans in his hands, unopened. Rogue sighed.

“Just pop one of those miracle claws of yours and slice them open. I’m hungry sugah!” she told him sternly before checking on the heating water. Despite hating canned soup, Wolverine slid one claw out a few inches and made quick work of opening the cans. Rogue smiled as she took them and poured the contents into the rapidly heating water. She smiled as she stirred the pot. “Now we just have to give that a couple of minutes.”

Looking up she saw Wolverine retract the claw. Unable to resist she asked him.
“When they come out... does it hurt?” she asked softly. Considering the memories, she didn’t think he was a willing receiver of the claws. He looked at her and Rogue felt her heart rate rising.
“Every time.” Came the equally soft reply. Rogue just nodded. That explained the name, Wolverine, as well. Speaking of which… She looked back to him.

“So, what kind of name is Wolverine?”

“I don't know. What kind of name is Rogue?” he asked, staring right back at her. Rogue smiled.

“My name is Marie.” She hadn’t told anyone her name in a long time, and she didn’t know why she’d done so know. But it felt good.

“Logan.” Came the reply. For both the occupants of the cabin, the next month started looking a slight bit better when they settled in front of the warm fire with two hot cups of soup fifteen minutes later.