“Wolverine…”
“Hmmhuh?”
“Wolverine.”
“Marie? What…”
“You’re him!”
“Huh?”
“Please, don’t kill me! Please, don’t! Don’t hurt me, don’t touch me, please! Don’t come any closer, just stop, don’t kill me plea…”

Okay. That went fine. She knocked herself out to the dresser. She’ll probably stay unconscious for a while. I could take a quick shower. Yeah. All sticky and dried up. Ugh. And I’m not even going to try and guess what all this shit and goo is… Shower it is. Just going to move her to the bed first. She can’t be too comfortable on that floor. My ass is still numb from when I sat in front of the bathroom door.

All healed up. Jesus it feels good to stretch up without having to be afraid that half of my innards will flop out… Shower and I really need to shave. I’m starting to look like a fucking yeti.

As soon as Marie wakes up we can get going. Have to find a car. It really was a stupid idea to send Anna to Nadine’s. Okay. She might be a good girl and ran back here as soon as she gets her purchases done. But there’s every fucking possibility that she’ll shoot that shit up to her own arm. In fact, that latter’s more likely to happen than the former. She can’t help herself.

“Marie!”

I know she’s waking up. She moved a bit. Could hear the sheets rustling. She’s barely breathing. Afraid.

“Marie? Are you alright?”

Hmm… This is something I could work with.

“Marie. Answer my question. Are you alright?”
“…yes? Please, don’t hurt me…”
“I’m not going to hurt you. You got just out of the lab, is that it?”
“…yes. You can just let me go. I promise not to tell anybody about you…”
“I’m really sorry, darling, but I can’t do that.”
“Please, don’t hurt me. If you’re going to kill me, make it fast. Please? Please!”
“I’m not going to hurt you, kid. You have nothing to be afraid of, I promise.”
“You promise?”
“Yeah. I have been there. Gone through what you’re going through. Afraid of everything and everybody. Lost. Alone. But you’re not alone. I’m going to take care of you until you get better. That okay with you?”
“… I’m not sure.”
“Why?”
“What do you want in return?”
“What have you got to offer?”
“… nothing?”
“There’s your answer. Come on, scoot over a bit. We’ll sleep for a while and go and get us a car later.”
“Just sleep?”
“Just sleep.”

From what I have understood before, the shit about her being from Meridian, about her parents throwing her out is just a big load of bullshit. At first I figured out she just cooked all that up so she wouldn’t have to reveal the real reason of a girl of her age to be out there all alone. But the info Jean had dug up… She was in a lab. Just before she stumbled in that dingy bar and hid in to my trailer she had been in a lab. In a same lab from where I escaped almost forty years ago.

“Wolverine?”
“Logan. Call me Logan.”
“Why… Why are you doing this?”
“Doing what?”
“Helping me.”
“Because I can. You’re not tired anymore?”
“… no?”
“Okay. Then we should get going.”
“Where are we going? ….I’m sorry, I don’t mean to be so nosey…”
“It’s okay. We’re going to find my daughter. She left last night to do some errands.”
“You lost your… Daughter? You have a daughter?”
“Yes, I have. And if I had even half of brain I’d have her arrested and locked up for the rest of her life. For her own good. But as it happens, I kind of hate to see people getting locked up.”
“… oh. How old is she?”
“She’s about twenty.”
“That old?”
“That old? How old are you?”
“I’m twelve.”

Fucking twelve? My wife thinks she’s twelve years old? This isn’t fucking happening.

“That’s… That’s nice.”