“Anna, wake up.”
“Huhnh?”
“Your turn to take the wheel. I’m about ready to pass out.”
“What time is it?”
“Around six o’clock.”
“In the morning?”
“Evening. You slept through the day.”
“Why didn’t you wake me up sooner?”
“I needed to think. Now I really need to sleep. Scoot over here.”
“I don’t… I don’t know if I can drive this kind of car…”
“You better learn quick. We have no time to waste.”

The sooner we get back to Xavier’s the sooner I can start planning my next steps. Ororo and Jean, they have no grounds to keep me away from the mansion, I can bunk in there as long as it takes from Anna to snoop out what happened to Marie. Just have to be careful. Can’t let Jean to know that Anna’s new interest towards her mom is because of me. Can’t have Anna banned from the guest list as well. If that happens… Jean only knows what happened during those days Marie was MIA. And I really hate to drag it out from her. I will do that if Anna fails, there’s no question of it, but… Jean’s not a bad person.

“If you need to eat, my wallet’s in the glove compartment. Just stay out of five star restaurants and there should be enough cash for pretty much anything you feel like having.”
“I’m not a kid, dad.”
“Yes, you are. You went and grew up on me, but you’re still a kid. My kid.”
“What ever… Dad?”
“Yeah?”
“Sleep well. I… I’ll wake you up as soon as we’re getting closer to N.Y., okay?”
“Wake me as soon as you get tired of driving. I just need few hours and I’m as good as new.”
“Okay.”

She’s so much like her mom. From inside out. From behind even I could mistake her for Marie. Younger Marie. The one I found from my trailer. The one who looked at me with those huge, moist eyes in the train just before Magneto interrupted us. Fuck…

She took the cure because of Bobby. Went nuts because cell structures the cure altered were never meant to be altered. But before that, before she went crazy… Fuck. I miss that year. I miss the woman she was. How she used t smile at me. How she let me hold her. How she held me in bed. All wrapped around me, warm and alive and happy…

“Dad?”
“Yeah…”
“Are you alright?”
“Yeah, I’m… I’m fine. I just miss your mom.”
“You still love her?”
“Never stopped loving her. I know… I know what it must have looked like, but… I’m not a smart man. I just did what felt right at the moment.”
“You still love her after what she did?”
“…After what she did? What did she do?”
“Jesus! She left you handcuffed to that bathtub after she had done God knows what to you with that dildo!”
“Umm… It’s really none of your business. But nothing happened. She got freaked out before… and besides, it would have been only something I had earned anyway.”
“But… Dad! Are you gay or something?”
“No. Can we just drop this subject? I’m not about to start educating you with the finer points of torture and powerplay.”
“And why not? Aren’t I exactly like you and mom? Fucked up enough to learn the whole ugly truth?”
“I never said that I was going to teach you to be like me. I meant that you’re strong enough to understand your mom and me. The things we do. And why we do those things. That doesn’t mean that I’m going to make you my fucking apprentice!”
“Dad!”
“End of discussion. Wake me up when you feel like taking a nap.”