“Jean said that I shouldn’t come.”
“You know what, pumpkin? Auntie Jean was probably right. But now that you’re here… You know what I did to Jack, don’t you?”
“Yes.”
“Good. That’s going to look like a pat on the head once I find the person who screwed up your mom. And you’re going to help me to find that creep.”
“But dad! You can’t just waltz around maiming people…”
“I can, and I will. Usually I get paid for it, but Jack and the fuckhead who ruined your mom… Those are personal.”
“Get paid for it?”
“Yes, pumpkin. When I’m not worrying over you and your mom or pummeling out some poor schmucks in the cage, these hands and this mind are for rent to anybody who needs a little wetwork done.”

She looks a bit green around the gills.

“Are you going to finish that waffle of yours?”
“Uh… No… I think I’ll go to bathroom…”
“You mind if I eat it? I’m still a bit hungry and…”
“No. No, I don’t mind. Go ahead.”

She’s taking her time. We should get going already. The weather is acting up. Wouldn’t want to get caught in to a freak snowstorm at this side of the border.

“You’re insane.”

And that’s news?

“Yes. Do you want anything else or can we get going? I’d like to get cross the border tonight.”
“Could you just leave me here? You could ask Scott to come and pick me up when you get in to N.Y.”
“No, I can’t leave you here. You don’t have a spiffy mutation to cover your ass like your mom has. You just got my senses, and a lot good will they do to you when some asshole decides to have a piece of your ass.”
“Dad!”
“You’re coming with me, Anna. I need your help when we get back to Xavier’s. Jean probably won’t let me see Marie. You have to go in there and find out what happened. Find out who hurt her.”
“What if I don’t help you? What are you going to do?”
“Anna…”
“Are you going to tie me to a chair and cut off my hands? Or maybe draw off my toenails? Or how about some electric shocks? I hear they work like a charm!”
“Shut your mouth, young lady. I’m still your father. And electric shocks? I’d like to think that I’m more creative than that…”

At least that shushed her up. And now she’s more scared than she were before we walked in to that diner. What the fuck is wrong with me? I practically threatened her back there.

“Anna… I’m sorry. Your old man is fucked up from the head. But I’m not that fucked up that… I could never hurt you. I could never hurt you or your mom. Not intentionally anyway.”
“You sure could have fooled me back there…”
“You’re the only one who can help me. I can’t just go asking from Jean what happened. She’d fucking lock me up and sedate me…”
“Dad. Jean is not stupid. And she loves mom. I’m sure she’d be more than happy to help…”
“Jean has ethics. She’ll know what’ll happen to the person that attacked your mom. Jean’s a doctor. She’s a good woman. Nice and caring. She doesn’t want, or even need somebody’s death on her conscience.”
“Jean doesn’t deserve to carry that burden, but you’re ready to pile it upon my back?”
“Anna… Stop fucking with me. You don’t even have a fucking conscience. You’re too much like your mom and me. It really isn’t even bothering you, is it? What I do? You’re just stalling because you’re afraid that you might like little too much stepping over the line.”
“So? What if I am afraid?”
“Suck it up, pumpkin. Your mom needs both of us.”