“Wolverine?”

Nadine? The fuck is she doing here? Have I finally lost it?

“Wolverine, oh Jesus! At first I didn’t believe it, but I had to come and check it out myself… Let me get those cuffs off from you…”

Fuck… Stop fucking jostling me…

“Hurts…”
“I bet it does. She said that you have been a week in here. Said that she was too scared to come and let you go by herself.”
“Who…”
“She didn’t tell me her name. Young. Pretty. Long brown hair. Awfully skittish.”

Anna. Must be. Why the fuck is she afraid of me? And how the hell does she know about what happened?

“Water…”
“Here. Drink slowly… That’s it, don’t choke on it. How about if I move those arms of yours to your front side?”

Please, don’t. I’m just fine like this and…

“Oh, fuck, Nadine!”
“That’s the thanks I get for releasing your sorry ass from this tub?”
“I’d fuck you if I could, but right now I’m… Little tired…”
“What the hell is this?”
“Haven’t seen a dildo before? You surprise me, Nadine.”
“Do I even want to know what happened?”
“No, you don’t… You think you could find some clothes for me? I don’t know what Ma… Rogue did to my clothes and…”
“Here. They were in a heap in the bedroom.”
“Thanks… Uh… You think you could give a hand? I can’t seem to… My fingers are little stiff…”
“Dad?”
“Anna?”
“Is he alright? Nadine, is he alright?”
“Come and see for yourself.”
“It’s okay, Anna. I’m okay. Don’t worry.”

Nadine stepped out after dressing me. Now it’s just Anna and me. And she’s looking awfully guilty. Shuffling her feet, staring at her toes, acting like a fucking three-year-old caught from the cookie jar. Fuck… My shoulders hurt. Left one is probably dislocated. Shit.

“So…”
“Mom came home few days ago… Or she didn’t come. Scott found her wandering around in the mall, completely dazed off, and brought her back home. Jean scanned her mind. Just in case…”

Just in case I fucked her up for good. Jean’s not stupid. She knows perfectly well what I’m capable of. She just can’t comprehend that I couldn’t use my skills against Marie.

“She told me that I would find you here.”
“What about Marie?”
“Mom… She’s… They put her back in to her old room. She’s in a really weird mood. One minute she’s walking down the hall or reading something, and at the next moment she’s screaming and crying, trying to tear her eyes out or…”
“Oh, God…”
“Dad? Please, dad, are you alright?”
“What happened to her?”
“I don’t know. Jean didn’t tell me. Are you alright?”
“I will be as soon as I find out what happened. When she left here she was okay. How the hell did she end up back in N.Y. completely screwed up?”
“Dad…”
“Daddy’s not home right now, pumpkin. Nadine!”
“Yes?”
“I need your phone and your car.”
“Okay. Just drop me off at my place. And please, don’t trash my baby, okay?”
“Don’t worry, Nadine. You get your truck back in working order as soon as I don’t need it anymore. I have some… Family issues to attend to.”

Anna doesn’t look too hot. She’s… She’s fucking scared. Scared of me? She hasn’t spoken a word since we dropped Nadine off. That was two hours ago. It would probably be a good idea to pull over at the next diner that comes ahead and have a little chat with her.