Author's Chapter Notes:
Yay! An update! Things have been kinda' crazy in my real life, but I finally got in some good writing time courtesy of a sugar rush and "The Red Hot Chili Peppers".
“Oh.” I managed, mentally kicking myself.

I stuttered a few times, not having decided whether to change the subject or apologize. As the moments ticked on, the latter was becoming more and more unlikely.

I heard the sound of crinkling leather as Logan turned onto another roadway, “Look kid,” He said, temporarily removing the newly lit cigar from his mouth, “I didn’t tell you that so you could feel sorry for me.”

“I don’t.” I lied shamelessly, “But I kinda’ feel like a bitch now for being angry with you the last two years.”

“Nah. Met plenty of bitches and you don’t fit the profile by a long shot kid. Sides’, how were you suppose to know where I was? It’s not like you had a number to call.”

“Yeah.” I agreed, thinking about the last statement, “Why is that exactly?”

Logan smirked, looking at me through the corner of his eye, “You don’t remember do ya’?”

I drew my brows up in confusion, “No, I guess not. Have I asked you that before?”

He laughed to himself, “Yeah. Told you I was a superhero and that we weren’t allowed to give out our home phone numbers… not even to best friends.”

It all started coming back to me, the carnival, the cotton candy, the ride on the Merry-Go-Round’ right before I’d asked him.

I looked at Logan closely, trying to find a point of reference that I could watch for a slight change, in case he lied, “So what about now? You still a superhero?” I asked, keeping the long forgotten X-Men in mind.

He didn’t flinch or hesitate, “Usedta’ be, but I just told you that so your parents wouldn’t know where to find me.”

My face fell, not wanting to believe that Logan hadn’t wanted to trust me, “I coulda’ kept a secret.”

“Yeah well, sorry for not taking the word of a 9 year old over years of being double crossed.” He said unsympathetically.

“You’re fuckin’ unbelievable, you know that Logan?” I asked him, venom in my voice.

“So I’ve been tol- Logan? It’s Uncle Logan to you kid.”

“Whatever, I’d just as soon call you a kidnapper than my uncle.”

“I’m savin’ you’re ass, the least you can do is be grateful.”

“Maybe, I don’t want savin’! In case you hadn’t noticed, I was sleeping very comfortably when you came barging into my bedroom earlier tonight. Just a few hours ago I had parents that loved me, I had security. Now… now, I don‘t know what the fuck I have.” I said, hoping for a reaction, any kind at all.

Logan was quick witted and heartless in his response, “You have a penchant for makin’ me wanna’ ram my head inta’ the steering wheel with all your bitchin’ and moanin’. So do me a favor, will ya’? Shut up until we get there.”

My head reeled, “Get where! Where in the fuck are you taking me you son of a bi-” I hadn’t the time to finish before Logan’s hand was placed tightly over my mouth and I was nearly gagging on the taste of motor oil. Apparently, I had pushed the wrong button.

“Marie! I don’t have a mother, but if I did, I sure as shit know she wouldn’t appreciate you talkin’ to her son that way, so you better quit while you‘re ahead.”

He pulled his hand away and I coughed loudly, further dramatizing the damage.

“I hate you.” I spat.

Logan looked at me for a long moment as if making a decision, “Good. It’ll make my job a lot easier.”

We drove for what I’d assume was another hour, though I spent the entirety of it mindlessly staring out the window.

“We’re here.” Logan told me in sarcastically excited tone, “Now get out.”

I pushed the car door open forcefully in hopes that I’d break something, but my plan backfired and instead the door bounced on it’s hinge and hit me in the leg, “Fuck!” I screamed, not seeing how the night could get any worse.

Logan appeared in front of me holding an army green duffel bag and looking positively calm, “You done callin’ attention to yourself?” He asked as I cringed in pain.

Not waiting for an answer, he grabbed my arm, dragging me up concrete steps where I stood waiting for him to find the motel keys.

Having been pushed in first, I stumbled over my own dirt covered feet. Looking at Logan indignantly, I took in the room with disgust.

“God, this must be where 70’s porn comes to die.” I said, staring blankly at a sticky white stain that I hoped was candle wax.

“Nope. It’s where we're stayin' tonight.”