It was pitch black on the road until a bright light came into view as if the heavens had opened up for just a moment. The white and blue neon sign flashed: Burger Heaven.

“You’ve got to be kidding me.” I thought, realizing that it was the place I’d been to with Uncle Logan many times before.

He killed the engine and got out, locking me in.

I yelled at his retreating form from the partially opened window, “What the fuck are you doing? Making up for lost time? Get back here!”

When he returned, it was with an arm full of bags. He held one out to me and instinctually I salivated.

“Damn you.” I whispered, ripping the bag from his hand and shoving food into my mouth like a wild animal.

When there was nothing left to eat, I turned to my “uncle”, staring into his cold, unforgiving eyes.

“I want answers.” I said calmly, “Now.”

Swallowing the last of his burger, he looked at me for a long moment as if trying to gage whether or not I was ready to hear the truth.

“Time’s up kid.” He answered, matter-of-factly.

“What?” I asked, waiting for the rest of his explanation.

“You been livin’ under a rock or somethin’? Dickwad in chief just gave the go head’ for a Mutie round-up.”

“But I’m not a mutant anymore.” I argued.

He let out a curt laugh, “Right, and I’m fuckin’ Santi Clause. You can’t get rid of genetics kid, no matter how may shots you take.”

I slumped down in my chair, bringing my knees up to my chest, “Bye Mom and Dad.”

The tears had already begun to free fall from my eyes when I felt a hand touch my cheek, “It ain’t gonna’ be forever… just for awhile.”

My heart soared, “So they knew about all this?”

“No, but I left a note back at the house.”

“A note?” I asked, disbelieving.

“Yeah, well it was either that or nothin’. We can’t have em’ lookin’ for you and gettin’ us killed in the process, you wanna’ go back home in a body bag?”

I flinched at the words, not wanting to think about them as a possible reality.

Another awkward silence filled the car as Uncle Logan pulled out of the burger joint’s parking lot.

“So,” I started, testing the waters, “What happened to you for those two years… got tired of me?”

I listened to the sound of the engine ping and whir as I awaited his response, “Nope. Ran into Kepler’s bastard lackies… spent two more years in Hell.”