Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for the reveiws....they are my life.
"Last night the Assassin broke into the prison that was holding Magneto and helped him escape," Scott said grimly to everyone that was sitting in the mission room. It was a few days after their most recent encounter with the Assassin.

"Are you sure it was her?" Hank asked.

"He’s right, what if someone was taking the opportunity to copy-cat?" put in Ororo.

"From the video we have, it looks to be her." Scott slid the tape into the VCR.

"What if it was Mystique posing as the Assassin?" Valerie asked.

Logan frowned. "Let’s just watch the tape and see."

Scott pushed play and moved back to sit with the rest of them. They watched the figure dressed in black fighting the guards.

"One thing is for sure...either that’s Mystique fighting or she was trained by Mystique," Valerie said.

They all turned to look at her waiting for her to explain.

"Look at her! Who else has a fighting style like that?"

Scott shrugged his shoulders. "You’re right...if that’s not the Assassin, then it could be someone trained by Mystique."

"Do we know where they went?" Logan asked.

"No." Scott shook his head." The Assassin is well trained in blocking the Professor’s telepathy, and Magneto had that helmet."

"Scott, is there anything else?” said Ororo. “We really need to be going."

"No, you guys go ahead. I just wanted you to see this," Scott said, waving them off.

"When we return we can discuss this in better detail," Hank told him.

Valerie looked at Logan who was sitting next to her. "I have to go to the mall and do some last minute shopping. Do you want to come?"

Logan shook his head. "No, I’m going to spend time with Kayla. How long are you going to be?"

"All day," she said giving his arm a squeeze. "I have a lot of last minute wedding details to take care of."

Logan leaned over and placed a kiss on her lips. "Be careful," he told her.

Valerie smiled at him and stood up. "Three days and you and I will be married!" She gave him another kiss and left.

Logan looked over at Scott who standing in front of the T.V., replaying the tape over and over again.

"What are you seeing Scooter?" Logan asked, getting to his feet and walking over to him.

"Look here," Scott said, pointing to the paused screen. "The Assassin takes off her mask, and when she does Magneto flinches and steps back." Scott pushed play and looked at Logan. "What do you think that means?"

Logan watched the tape, and crossed his arms over his chest. "I don’t know."

With a sigh Scott turned the T.V. off. "Anyway, now we have to worry about Magneto and The Assassin working together."

Even though Logan couldn’t see Scott’s eyes, he could tell by his facial expression that he was worried. "We’ll figure something out."

"I’m not so sure about that."

Logan frowned at the response. "Don’t you and Jeannie have a kids day or something like that?"

"Oh dammit," Scott cursed, grabbing his forehead in his forgetfulness. "I forgot all about that. She’s probably pissed."

"Later, Scooter," Logan told him as Scott walked out of the room.

He picked up the remote and played the tape over again, pausing it right at the point that the Assassin took off her mask. He saw that she looked over her shoulder and the right side of her face was exposed to the camera. He leaned in close to get a better look, but the picture was too fuzzy, so he turned the T.V. back off and went to look for Kayla.

"Hey dad can I ask you a question?"

"Sure Lil Bit," Logan told her. They were sitting side by side on the couch watching a hockey game together.

"Daaad," Kayla whined. "I told you about calling me that! I’m not a little girl any more."

Logan raised his eyebrow at her. "I’ll be the one to decide when you’re not a little girl any more."

Kayla raised her eyebrow right back, matching Logan’s look.

Logan just shook his head at her stubbornness. "What is it you wanted to ask me?"

"Well, next week while you and Valerie are gone Jubilee is taking Jenny to the mall to have a make-over. Can I get one too?" she asked.

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because for one you’re too young, and I don’t trust Jubilee...she’s a bad influence on you."

"But daddy please..." Kayla began.

"Kayla, the answer is no," Logan told her in a firm tone.

Kayla dropped the subject knowing she wasn’t going to be able push her dad any further. They sat there in silence for a few moments until she said, "Dad I have one more question."

"What is it?" Logan asked.

"Will you teach me how to play pool?"

"Why?"

"Because everyone knows how to play, and we plan to have a championship next week and I want to beat Christopher."

Logan smiled. "You wanna play now?"

"Yeah," said Kayla with a big grin.

They spent most of the afternoon in the games room. Most of the kids around the mansion were either out or hanging around elsewhere so they had the room all to themselves.

As they were putting up the pool cues to leave for lunch though, Remy came barging in.

"Logan we need you in the mission room now," Remy said.

"What’s going on?" Logan asked, alarmed.

"Something has happened in D.C. The Professor has called a meeting."

Logan looked at Kayla and said, "We’ll have our lunch together tomorrow Lil Bit."

"Okay daddy, be careful," Kayla said, leaving the room.

As they walked to the lower levels Logan turned to Remy. "What the hell has happened to get you all nervous?"
Remy swallowed. "The Assassin has struck again. And this time it was a mutant."

"A mutant?" Logan questioned, "Do you know who it was?"

"Mystique...in the form of Senator Kelly," Remy told him, entering his code to access the lower levels.

Logan drew in a sharp breath. "Where did this take place?" he asked.

"In his main office."

They entered the mission room and saw only the Professor, Bobby and Kurt waiting. "What do you know?" Logan asked the Professor.

"To tell you the truth Logan, I’m not sure I know anything," Charles said. "I’m not certain if Eric had Mystique killed, or if it’s some kind of set-up and Mystique is still alive."

"Do we have any video surveillance?" Remy asked.

"No," Bobby told him. "They were installing a new security system so the video cameras were temporarily out of order."

"How do they know it was the Assassin then?" Logan asked.

"Because," Kurt began, "Senator Kelly’s secretary saw a woman dressed in black enter through the open window and slice his throat. She then witnessed the woman exit back out through the same window… by flying."

"I have a feeling something very bad is about to happen. The Assassin usually strikes and then lays low for a while," Charles told them in deep thought. "I have no idea what she might have in mind now, after breaking Eric out and assassinating Mystique."

"We still don’t know if that’s what happened," Logan reasoned. He too was in deep thought about the whole event.

"Where are the other X-men?" Remy asked.

"Scott is on his way back," said Bobby, "and Hank and Ororo will also be here shortly."

"I need to go and find Valerie," Logan said. He headed for the door, intent on finding a private phone instead of using the one in the mission room.

"Yes, please do," Charles said. "I’ll feel more at ease when all my residents are back under one roof." Turning to Bobby he said, "Go tell Jubilee and Kitty that they will be responsible for the children....and Jean as well when she returns since she won’t be able to go any missions for some time now due to her condition."

Then when Kurt was the only one left in the room, the Professor turned to him and said, "I feel that we are missing something and I can’t seem to put all the pieces together."

"We’ll figure something out Professor," Kurt told him. "We always do."

The Professor shook his head slightly, a worried expression on his face. "Not always Kurt, we don’t always find the answers we seek."