Author's Chapter Notes:
New song. Angst ahead. But nobody's dead.
Few hours earlier he had stumbled in to bed, exhausted but satisfied. Kid was back on track, he had gotten a heavy dose of movies he could honestly say he had never watched before and he had learned that tea and cereals were quite underrated products when combined. They actually tasted okay. Though he had tasted them at first just to please Marie, but eventually she had ended up bringing him his own mug of tea and a bowl of cereals.

Now he was running for his life. Running through the darkness. Mansion was silent around him. Empty, hollow mausoleum, dust covering every surface, his frantic panting and echo of his footsteps the only sounds.

He was running, and practically screaming in panic because there was nobody left. Everybody was gone and he had no idea of where they went. At first they had been there, then the next minute it was like they had never even existed. No scents. No sounds. No personal items. Just dark and empty rooms and corridors.

He chose the door that lead in to the professor Xavier’s study and yanked it open, expecting professor to sit in there on his chair, maybe ask if he had already had breakfast. The room was as dark and empty as others were.

He ran frantically to the second floor. Surely Scott and Jean would be at home? He tore open the door to their suite. Silence and darkness greeted him.

He turned towards the stairs that would take him to the attic. Ororo? He stopped at the bottom of the stairs, inhaling deeply. Scents, or more the lack of them told him that no, Ororo wasn’t home.

He had already checked both dormitories. All the students were gone. He had only three rooms left. Pjotr and Kitty’s room, Bobby’s, and… He shook his head. Now wasn’t the time to think about her.

He opened the door to the room, which the big Russian shared with Kitty, finding it as empty as rest of the mansion. He turned on his heels and his gaze locked to the next door. Ice Man. He knocked, having long ago learned that it was better not to startle Bobby if you wanted your body temperature to stay above freezing point. There was no answer. He opened the door anyway. Empty. Dust. Darkness.

He turned to look at the last door, silent groan and whimper accompanying reluctant footsteps that dragged his carcass in front of it. He could see his hand drifting up, fingers turning over the doorknob. When it started to turn he tried to close his eyes, but it was futile. He could already see through his eyelids.

He came up from the dream with violent lurch, horrified scream tearing from his cramped lungs and throat, and for a long moment he could only sit on his bed, shivering and trying to make his lungs and heart cooperate and start working again.


David Lynch, Angelo Badalamenti: Into The Night

Now it's dark.

Into the night
I cry out
I cry out your name.
Into the night
I search out
I search out your love.
Night so dark
Where are you?
Come back in my heart
So dark
So dark.

Into the night
Shadows fall
Shadows fall so blue.
I cry out
I cry out for you.

Night so dark
Where are you?
Come back in my heart
So dark
So dark
So dark.