**You're gonna have to mow the lawn,
do the dishes, make your bed
You're gonna have to go to school
until you're seventeen

It's gonna seem about tree times as long as that**



He groaned and stretched his back, wiping off the thin layer of sweat that had gathered over his brows and let his gaze sweep over his surroundings, leaning against the shovel he was holding, one foot resting comfortably on it.

Everywhere around him kids were working. Shovels hitting in to the ground, scooping up sand and dirt, moving it from spot A to spot B. Spot A being the trench he had ordered them to build and spot B the small hill they were supposed to construct behind the trench.

Scott had griped and nagged for a moment when he had brought up this particular scenario, mostly because it meant more mileage for his precious jet, but surprisingly enough it had been professor Xavier that had backed up Logan’s idea, again handing out the needed funds without further questions.

“I can understand that this is supposed to build our character, but couldn’t we have built that somewhere closer to the mansion? Why the hell we have to do it in the middle of fucking Sahara?” He turned to look at Marie, flashing her somewhat annoying grin.
“We’re not building characters, darling. We’re building a fortress. Keep digging and be glad I chose Sahara instead of Greenland…”

He had to bite his cheek to keep laughing out loud when Marie flipped him the finger before turning and shuffling back to where she had been digging, the hole she had managed to dug already almost filled to the brim with dry sand sprinkling from the edges. He couldn’t laugh. Not when everybody else was watching. He was the teacher after all. No matter if they were already out of school and this was kind of optional, nobody forced them to participate, but it was quite clear that if you were going to be a part of the team you were part of the team even when it felt less appealing. So he cleared his throat and called her back.

“What was that?” He asked, trying to keep his face and tone of his voice neutral.
“My honest opinion about your idea of training.”
“Drop and give me twenty.” She dropped the shovel she was holding and started rummaging through her pockets, her forehead scrunching.
“Damn… I left my purse home…”
“Keep that up and you’re doing push-ups until you’re old and grey, missy…”


**Life's gonna suck when you grow up,
it sucks pretty bad right now**



He left her sweating in the sun, confident that she’d do as he asked. She knew very well he’d smell it if she tried to lie to him. Colossus stood waiting next to a pile of support pillars, leaning against a heavy hammer.
“I think it would be a good idea to start supporting the edges. Kitty’s going to drown if they fall.” Logan craned his neck and nodded. Big Russian was right. Kitty was up to her neck in the trench she was digging. He spotted Bobby further down the trench. Walls on his section were glistening wet.
“How the hell did you manage to freeze this shit?” He asked, sliding his fingers over the scratchy, cool surface. Bobby grimaced.
“Wasn’t easy. There’s so little water around here… It’s only a thin layer.”
“It’s better than nothing. Just be careful. You don’t want to end up under a mudslide when that starts to melt…”



**Hey cheer up kids, it gets a lot worse**



Everything was good and ready. After two days of grueling work, sweating and cursing there was a trench, and a small hill for them to defend, and a small foxhole burrowed under the hill, spacious enough to let two of them to sleep while three others were sitting in the trench guarding the hill. Right now Logan had kicked Kitty out from his way.

“What the fuck were you thinking? Did you fry your brain or something?” He growled, spreading a wet cloth over Marie’s throat and bare chest, trying honestly not to ogle.
“I was thinking that the fucking trench would be quite fucking useless if we didn’t have a way out from there!” She hissed, gasping and clutching her temple.
“Fuck… Kid, do me a favor. Next time you start thinking, come and talk to me before you do anything. Okay? Sunstroke is not something to play with…”
“Yeah, right… Come and talk to you so you can order me to do some more push-ups? I’m not stupid you know…”
“You know why I made you do it. You were disrespectful. I’m the team leader. You guys are supposed to follow my lead, not question my every decision. Just because we’re friends doesn’t mean that…”
“Jesus, Logan! I don’t expect you to coddle me! It would be just nice if you found some kind of middle ground. I don’t know if you have noticed, but you’re grilling me much harder than Bobby, Kitty or Pjotr.”
“Bullshit.”
“No bullshit. If you don’t believe me, ask them. Ask anyone of them.”