Author's Chapter Notes:
I do not in any way condone or encourage anyone to use marijuana, or any other illegal substance.
**You're gonna end up smoking crack,
on you're back, face the fact
You're gonna end up hooked on smack
and then you're gonna die
And then you're gonna die**



Well. It wasn’t crack. Just marijuana. But he was definitely on his back, lying sprawled over the patio, and he had this nagging inkling that it would be in fact quite easy to get hooked on to the sickly sweet smoke he was dragging in his lungs. Of course rest of that song had been pure bullshit. He wasn’t going to die. Not anytime soon. But Marie could have died today. Luckily she had gotten just some bruises, and strict order from Jean to stay in bed for the rest of the day and return to med lab immediately if she started experiencing any of the long list of symptoms the good doctor had prattled on earlier.

“What the fuck are you doing?” Familiar voice sounded from somewhere above him. He narrowed his eyes. Marie.
“I should ask the same from you, brat. Jean already told you, no hopping around.”
“Are you high?” She asked, leaning closer, wrinkling her forehead and waving her hand to dispel the smoke curls wafting towards her. He took a last drag from the joint before sitting up and crushing it to an ashtray.
“Nope. No high for me. But a new low instead. Sorry, kid. I should have been watching you more carefully back there,” he grunted, pulling out a cigar and lighting it.

She sat next to him on the stone that that warmed in the sun earlier that day, her eyes cast down to her lap where she fiddled with her fingers.
“I’m sorry, too. I should have been more careful. But that wall came out of nowhere…” She whispered, sounding suddenly awfully lot like the same girl she had been before she had taken the leathers Xavier had offered.
“Not out of nowhere. I crashed on to it,” he admitted silently.
“Are you alright?” She asked quickly, grabbing his arm and scanning him with sharp eyes.
“You know me… Healed right up. I didn’t even notice you. Truth to be told I was more worried about the others at that moment.”
“It’s okay. You found me eventually. And dragged my ass to med lab.”
“It’s not okay. Eventually is not fucking good enough.”
“Come on, big guy… Don’t start this now. I’m not some bimbo that you have to keep protecting 24-7. I’m a…”
“Yeah. You’re a big girl, right? Strong enough to beat the crap out of most of men? Grown up?”
“Logan…”
“It doesn’t fucking matter if you’re grown up, Marie. You’re in my team. I’m supposed to look after you as much as I’m looking after anybody else.”
“But…”
“I’m not going to take that ‘leave me alone, I’m a tough chick’ –shit anymore, Marie. Like it or not, I’m going to start watching over you.”
“But Logan…”
“I’m going to start watching over you just like I’m watching over everybody else in my team. End of discussion. Go back to your bed.”
“Sir, yes, sir!”
“You’re not old enough not to get spanked, kid…”
“Sir, yes… Uh… I’ll be going now. Good night, Logan.”
“Good night, Marie.”

He stretched on his back again, discarding the cigar and digging out another joint, taking a long drag from it, trying to figure out what he was supposed to feel. He had seen people get all relaxed and giggly when smoking pot, but for him it just tasted funny.

He started counting clouds up in the sky, enjoying the swirling colors on them. One, two, purple, six, ten, more, fifteen… There sure were lots of elephants up there today. All of them bright yellow and pink.