Author's Chapter Notes:
Lyrics for the song "Life's Gonna Suck" have been haunting me for quite some time already. I don't know, maybe this is a silent protest, something unconscious or something... Basically what happens when you grow up.
He was standing at the door, mountain of muscle and bad attitude, his darkened gaze sliding over each and every one in the room before settling to her, heat in is eyes enough to scald her from the distance.

She felt like grinning and sticking her tongue out, maybe flip a finger to the men that had just mere moment ago been planning the best way to get rid of her body when they were done with her. Kind of hard to do when they had bound her hands behind her bag and gagged her. She felt like crooning for victory, tap-dancing over the floor where he stood to show them what she had for backup. Like an elder brother or a big, scary dog, or… Or…

Her trail of thought got efficiently, yet quite rudely interrupted when Logan’s hand latched on her arm, fingers curling around her bicep to a vice-like grip.
“Found a mutie?” He asked from the men who were starting to relax already from the surprise his arrival had caused. One of them, big ox of a man called Jeff nodded and stood up from the armchair he had been vacating and sauntered over to where she stood, her back pressed firmly against Logan’s unyielding chest.

“Found the bitch snooping around the cabin. If you’re looking for some fun, you came just in time. We were about to begin…” Jeff said. She could more feel than hear low rumble that vibrated through Logan’s body. No way. There was no way he would let anything happen. Right?
“Shit… It certainly has been quite a while from my last… But it’s a mutie. Who the fuck knows what kind of germs they’re carrying. Don’t want my dick fall off just because some sleazy ho…” Okay. She knew he was just pretending, for the sake of the cover, but that didn’t sound like…
“You can’t touch this one without the rubber anyway. Poison skin or some shit. You in or out?” Jeff asked. She could feel Logan shifting behind her back.
“I don’t know… In here? With all of you watching?”
“What are you? Shy?” Jeff asked. She bit her cheek to suppress the bout of giggles.
“Well, I have lot to be shy for. Fuck… I don’t know. She looks so fucking small…”
“Hey, buddy, this offer won’t last. You’re either in or out,” Jeff huffed, reaching for her arm. She expected Logan to pull her away from the man. Instead he let go of her arm, snorting.
“I’m out. I’m not in to muties. And there wouldn’t be much left of her for the rest of you after I was through with her. Enjoy, gentlemen…” With that said Logan shoved her towards Jeff, stepped out and closed the door.

He closed the door and leaned against it, cringing when an enraged wail pierced the air inside of the shabby cabin. Eerily silence fell, then suddenly the whole building started to shudder and tremble from the force of the blows the not so sturdy walls were receiving. He couldn’t help cringing some more when he heard Jeff’s voice, earlier cockiness stripped away, pleading for his life and balls.
“Fuck. I really am an asshole…” He slouched down to the porch, enjoying the last rays of setting sun and lit a cigar, trying not to feel too bad for them. They were the bad guys after all.

He had just enough time to finish his cigar and move out of the way when last of the five men flew through the door and silence fell over the cabin. He stepped over the corpse, peeking inside. Marie crashed in to him, sending them both sprawled on the ground, raining punches aimed at his chest with her small fists, spitting and cursing.
“You fucking jerk! What was that all about? Huh?”
“Marie…” He tried to grasp her wrists, but it was futile when she was this agitated.
“I should fucking neuter you! Asshole! You gutless piece of shit for brains, I’ll…”

“You’ll do what?” He panted, having finally gained an upper hand and pinned her underneath his considerable weight, Holding her wrists and keeping her from kicking by sliding his hips between her thighs. This didn’t, however, stop her from reaching up and biting him. He started to turn just as she did so, so instead of the tip of his nose she caught his lower lip, her blunt teeth locking together, biting through skin and flesh, drawing blood.

“Goddamned, Marie! Get a grip before this urge to smack some sense in to you gets the better of me!” Logan growled and she blinked, still furious, but now slightly scared as well. Logan was immune to her skin. Only thing she had to throw against him were her skills in close combat, and that would be quite futile. Logan had taught her everything she knew.

“What the fuck was that? You just threw me at them! You left me there!” she shouted, still angry, but trying to reign her temper.
“So? You were more than capable to take care of yourself as soon as I freed your hands,” Logan grunted, squeezing her wrists pointedly.
“So? So? So fucking what? I shouldn’t have had to do that!” She shrieked, trying to throw him off from her, with poor results. Logan was as good as glued against her front side.
“You don’t have to, but every time I have tried to help you before you have kicked my ass afterwards as a reward for meddling in to your business! I thought you didn’t need my help!” He growled.
“Need and want are two completely different things, you fucking twit!” She screamed. Logan’s eyes narrowed.
“What the fuck are you talking about?” He asked.
“You don’t have to come to my rescue, I’m a big girl now. But would it kill you to make an honest effort every once and a while to act like a knight instead of a jackass?” She huffed, her anger suddenly ebbing away.
“Huh?” Now he seemed to be completely at loss.
“You used to watch out for me! Take care of me! What the hell happened that made you decide that I’m not worth the trouble anymore?”
“What?”
“Two years ago you wouldn’t have even dreamed of leaving me alone with those assholes. Hell, you wouldn’t have let them near me! Now you practically tossed me at their lap! What the hell happened?” She asked.
“You grew up,” Logan whispered pushing away from her, standing up and walking to his motorcycle that he had parked near the door of the cabin, sitting on it.
“You grew up!” he shouted one last time over the roar of the engine, accusation in his voice, before he drove away, leaving her sitting on the ground.




Denis Leary:
Life’s Gonna Suck

Life's gonna suck when you grow up,
when you grow up, when you grow up
Life's gonna suck when you grow up,
it sucks pretty bad right now

Hey, if you know the words, sing along

You're gonna have to mow the lawn,
do the dishes, make your bed
You're gonna have to go to school
until you're seventeen

It's gonna seem about tree times as long as that

You might have to go to war,
shoot a gun, kill a nun
You might have to go to war
when you get out of school

Hey cheer up kids, it gets a lot worse

You're gonna have to deal with stress,
deal with stress, deal with stress
You're gonna be a giant mess
when you get back from the war

Santa Claus does not exist, and there is no Easter Bunny
You'll find out when you grow up that Big Bird isn't funny

Life's gonna suck when you grow up,
when you grow up, when you grow up
Life's gonna suck when you grow up,
it sucks pretty bad right now

You're gonna end up smoking crack,
on you're back, face the fact
You're gonna end up hooked on smack
and then you're gonna die
And then you're gonna die