Logan rolled his eyes at the incessant giggling coming from the den even as he walked silently down the hall. Scott had already arranged for several more beds to be added to the dorm and he was waiting for Helen Creed to drop of the new charges.

Catching a hint of her distinctive perfume Logan hurried toward the door even as he glanced behind him. The women had no idea why there were suddenly so many new children being dropped off, and he wanted to keep it that way.

“You’re late.” Logan grunted as he eyed the six small children standing there with Helen.
“You’re early.” Helen drawled and lifted a pair of suitcases. “These go with them.”

“Uh are you gonna keep us?” The small, hesitant question had Logan glancing down to a little girl with deep purple eyes and red hair.

“I think so. Come on in. The girls are busy with baby stuff or they’d come out to greet you.”

Helen eyed Logan. Despite the newest round of threats from Xavier he looked relaxed, at ease, she was certain that it was a deceptive calm. “I’ll forward the funds tomorrow. You shouldn’t have any problems with them.”

“I told you we don’t want your money.” Logan ground out softly.

Helen raised an eyebrow at him and shrugged, “So? I told you before Logan I help my family out. Like it or not we’re family and I’m gonna give you a hand.”

“Then deal with Xavier.”

Helen smiled and patted his cheek just as a pair of teenaged girls appeared in the yard.

“Cool!” One of them gaped at the children. “More kids. Hey come on you wanna help us?”

“With what?” the purple eyed girl demanded.

“We’re going to check out the new foals. We need some help with carrying carrots.”

The children looked amongst themselves and promptly deserted Logan and Helen. A moment later the giggles and shouts of young children echoed across the yard and disappeared around the corner of the barn.

“Those poor horses.”

“They’re used to it. How many more you figure on dropping on us?” Logan demanded curtly.

“None. I’ve removed all of the youngest children and will be hitting him hard tomorrow night. With any luck I won’t have to bring another child up here.”

“The kids are welcome. It’s your money that ain’t. I take care of mine.”

Helen nodded and smiled softly. “Then we understand each other. You’re my son and she’s my daughter. She’s carrying my grandchild that means I have the right to send you money.”

Logan grunted and turned. “She’ll be pissed if she don’t get to say hi. Remember not a word about Xavier.”

“I remember. I’m old but not that old.” Helen said as Logan stomped off. She knew it bothered him to accept hand outs but she couldn’t help it. She’d spent so long without him in her life that now that he was back she needed to be there for him, for his family.


“Hi Mom,” Rogue smiled softly at her from the doorway.

“Rogue how are you?”

“Very good. Logan seemed upset.”

“Pride.”

Rogue nodded and sobered at the slam of Logan’s office door. “How many does Xavier have left?”

“What do you mean?” Helen tensed slightly before forcing herself to relax.

“I have superior hearing Mom. You two can whisper all you want to but I’ve heard your conversations, I’ve heard the guys talking about what he’s doing and…”

“Don’t go troubling yourself Rogue. Logan didn’t tell you because of your delicate condition. If he knew…”

“I trust him with my life. I won’t allow him to be hurt by doing something foolish. I just want to know how much longer we have.”

“I don’t know. Things are in the works now that I’m not sure how they’re going to end up. I don’t think you should worry too much about it though. Creed Inc. can handle that problem.”

Rogue smiled sadly her hand resting on the swell of her abdomen. Logan found the evidence of her pregnancy enthralling and often spent hours just rubbing her stomach and right now she could use a little of that comfort. “Let us know if you can’t.”

“I give you my word Marie that I will not allow anything or anyone to disrupt the peace you’ve found. Besides there are those who are expendable and if needs be I’ll employ my nephew to do some dirty work. He does so enjoy bloodshed.”

Rogue grinned and stepped back. “Come on in we’re trying to pick out baby names.”

“Delighted. So has Tank told you what you’re having?”

“No. I haven’t asked for confirmation of the sex. I think Kitty knows though.”

“Helen!” Kitty and Jubilee grinned openly at the older woman. “We didn’t think you were coming.”

“Would I miss a chance to sit and gossip with my girls?” Helen asked with a chuckle and moved to sit next to Jubilee. “So are all of you pregnant?”

The trio looked at each other then grinned at Helen and nodded in unison. For the first time since she’d left Elk Hump days before Helen laughed and hugged the girls. She’d do whatever she had to so they could survive this…even if it meant the end of one embittered woman and a delusional old man.



Storm frowned as she assessed the group of students before her. The youngest students had all systematically been removed from the mansion grounds leaving only the older teens and those in training for the X-Men.

Catching sight of movement she turned to stare into the pale eyes of a dark haired girl who eyed her with a satisfied smirk on her face. Storm walked slowly toward the girl, noting the way she didn’t move, didn’t back down even from the implied threat of Storm’s power.

“You’re new here aren’t you?” Storm asked softly.

“You could say that.”

She shivered at the icy tone but refused to back away. “Are you on your way to class?”

The girl shook her head and met her gaze. “No. You think you’re pretty smart don’t you? You think that you’re gonna win but you won’t. You can’t.”

“What do you mean?”

“Take a look at the bigger picture.” The girl said and stepped past Storm. “Or not. Personally I don’t care, death comes to all of us at some point…it’s up to you to decide when and where your meeting is.”

“You’re the spy.” Storm whispered softly as the girl froze before glancing at her and shrugging. A moment later she had vanished into the crowd of kids, already playing ball with them easily.

“A problem?” Piotr asked softly.

“We need to figure out a way to let Logan know that we’re not going to fight him. I think Frankenstein’s the one who took the children.” Storm whispered already glancing around for Jean.

“She’s locked in the Professor’s office.” Piotr explained. “Hank’s watching for her.”

“You realize she’s gonna kill us don’t you?” Storm glanced at the young man who’d once been her pupil. “She’s gonna destroy everything in her bid to get back what she tossed aside.”

Piotr glanced at the other students before turning his attention to Storm. “Hank suggested we uh take the students on a field trip. There’s a major museum in Alberta, Drummheller or something and we could learn a bit about dinosaurs and evolution. What do you think?”

Storm blinked and shrugged suddenly chilled to the very bone. “I think it’s a good idea. I’ll start getting it organized. Be ready to leave when I get the necessary information.”

“We’ll be ready.” Piotr replied and moved away just as the back doors opened and Jean stepped out into the warm sunshine. He hated her with a passion, hated what she’d done to them, what she was still doing. It was a testament to her power that Charles hadn’t even blinked at the loss of all the children under the age of twelve. He wondered if anyone would notice the rest of the students disappearing. He prayed not.