From her seat at the faculty table Ororo watched the students around her. They all seemed to take the absence of their professors without a thought. For them in the innocence life had gone on. How she wished it was the same for her.

She was exhausted both mentally and physically. Her nights were spent tossing and turning in the vague hopes of getting a few hours of uninterrupted sleep. When sleep came though new demons plagued her. Her dreams were filled with ghosts, with images that were horrid and terrifying.

The situation had given her a new understanding of Logan’s bad moods and the way he fought the nightmares. If what he dreamt was even a sliver as terrifying as what she did than he’d fully earned the right to be a gruff, hard tempered person.

Her shoulders sagged as she realized that what she dreamt though had nothing on what Jubilee or Kitty dreamt. Unlike her their minds were clear, their memories clear and in a twisted, sick way pristine. Each torment, each degradation was scorched into their souls, into their minds eyes in brilliant color.

“You look pensive.” Hank’s soft voice had her glancing up and smiling tiredly at him.

“Exhausted is more like it.” She replied.

“Jean’s back from the plastic surgeon.”

“And?”

“He did an amazing job on the brand. There isn’t anything that can be done about her eye though.”

Ororo glanced at the door as she saw a familiar figure coming through it. She stared hard. Dressed in her designer suits, heels, and jewelry Jean strode through the room with her head held high. The scars that had once crossed her face were gone. She’d obviously had surgery from the bandages still in place but the mark of Frankenstein was gone. The only indication of what had happened was the discoloration in her eye, but even that was disguised by a blue contact. Jean was back to looking as beautiful as ever.

Jean settled into her customary chair and reached for her coffee. Casting a look at ‘Ro and Hank she raised an eyebrow as her chin came up a notch or two. “Something you have to say?”

‘Ro shook her head and glared at her. “You went through with it didn’t you?”

“The surgery? Yes of course. You couldn’t possibly expect me to walk around with that horrid scar. A few more days and I’ll have the memories under control…”

“Excuse me.” Hank rose from the table with barely leashed hostility. “I’ve lost my appetite.”

“Don’t be so childish!”

Hank glared at her for a moment before bowing slightly. “I much prefer scorched pasta and a tiny cell to sitting at the same table in a large cafeteria with you! Ororo.”

With a slight smile ‘Ro watched him walk away before her gaze cut back to Jean. “You’re asking for trouble.”

“I hardly think so. As soon as I’m fully healed I’ll have my revenge. If you think that…”

“I think you’re gonna get us all killed.” Ororo murmured softly as Charles rolled into the room. “There are no easy outs. We’re to blame for them being the way they are and you’re still sitting there trying to think of ways to get rid of them. You haven’t learned a damn thing have you?”

“Learned enough to know that I can beat them.”

“All of them?” Ororo whispered as Charles took his place across from Jean. “Can you honestly say you can beat Frankenstein and the other faction they work with? Do you really think they’re going to let that happen?”

“I think you’re siding with the enemy.”

Ororo shifted in her chair and glared coldly at Jean. “The only enemy I see is the one sitting here at this table.”

“Please ladies. Lets at least try to…” Charles started.

“No lets not.” ‘Ro declared. “I’m sorry Charles but I don’t think punishing them further is going to make our lives any easier. This little idea the two of you have to pay them back for their trespasses is stupid and quite frankly is going to get someone killed.”

“We’ll discuss this later.” Charles said sharply.

“No we won’t.” Ororo demanded. “How much more blood do you want Charles?”

“This isn’t about…”

“Yes it is. Put it behind you before they pay for it. Forget about them and move on.” She glanced at Jean and smirked. “Scott and Logan aren’t coming back to fight over you. They don’t want you, they’d rather have Rogue and Kitty…two girls you think are beneath you!”

“Enough!” Charles glared at ‘Ro for a moment. “Jean is still healing and I won’t allow anything to disrupt the process.”

‘Ro shook her head and glared between them for a moment. “You won’t get the chance. If Frankenstein even thinks you’re upto something they’re gonna hit us hard and I don’t think you can handle that threat.”

“What are you saying?” Jean hissed.

‘Ro glanced between them and sighed. “I’m saying I’m going to side with Hank. He won’t fight them, he won’t risk innocent blood being spilt for pride…and neither will I. Good evening.”

Charles watched Ororo walk calmly out of the dining room amid the chatter of the students. The entire argument had taken place in hushed and reverent tones so the children were none the wiser but still the damage was obviously done.

Casting a glance at Jean he sighed and wondered idly what the risks were. Feeling the sudden chill in the air he glanced around for the new presence and froze in his chair. Standing with a chilly smirk on her face was a familiar woman. Her long robes brushed the floor, her arms crossed nonchalantly across her chest, she looked the picture of relaxation. Only the expression in her gaze told him she wasn’t.

~You’ve been a bad boy Wheels~ The voice echoed in his mind. ~I told you before I’d be watching you and I have been. Helping her to rebuild the walls in her mind is not part of the deal. Stop doing it or next time I come I start removing valuables.~

Charles tensed as the woman’s gaze darted to the children then back to him. He watched her straighten and slide back into the shadows with fear. He hadn’t even sensed her until she was practically on top of him…what did that say of her gift? What did that say of his?

Like a bolt of lightening it struck Charles that he had a choice before him. He could stop helping Jean or he could lose the children. He didn’t know which he could afford to lose without it destroying him.