Blinking at the sudden intrusion of bright light in the darkness Storm sat up and stared at the figure in the door. A glance around revealed that she was the only one being blinded. The others still slept soundly.

“What?” She started only to squeak out a protest when she was jerked unceremoniously to her feet and out of the cell. Struggling as the stranger dragged her away from her fellow X-Men she opened her mouth to scream only to find a hard hand clamped down over it.

“Don’t.” the low growl was slightly familiar, the voice tickled at a memory.

Shaking, terrified she followed where she was moved until she found herself plunked into a chair in the medical area. Staring across the desk at the tall, muscular man she’d heard Jubilee call Tank she wondered what was going on.

“So nice of you to join me.” Tank leaned back in his seat and stared at her.

“What’s going on? Why are you doing this to me? I mean you no harm I just want to go home.”

“Of course you do. And you will be shortly, but not today. You see it strikes me that your dear Professor doesn’t understand the deal completely. I’m hoping you can show him the light.”

“What do you mean?”

“we will let you go back to your little world. You can teach your kids, and save your mutants that you can use but if you put a team together, if you mobilize in any way that requires you to suit up then all deals are off and we will come down on you harder than a tonne of bricks. Understand?”

“Yes.”

“Good. You and your blue friend seem to have less tolerance for Dr. Grey’s actions than others. Why?”

Storm shrugged. “She left me to rot in that cell. She hates Hank because of his mutation, of his appearance, of a great many things. Why would I like her for that?”

“Indeed.” Tank stared at the platinum haired woman before him. “Just so you know there is no sympathy here for you or your team members. The girls have no idea what it is. They can’t know what it is.”

“So you’re blaming me for this. You’re planning on doing to me what you did to Jean?”

“No. I’m securing my future. I won’t allow those women to suffer any more than they have. It’s taken them months, years to overcome the hell they’ve endured and Xavier and his team’s involvement has only added to the misery and strife they’ve endured. This is the option for you. Go home forget about us and make sure he forgets as well. If he doesn’t you won’t be dealing with three girls. You’ll be dealing with Wolverine, Cyclops, and myself and we’re no lightweights.”

Storm nodded and rose to her feet. “I understand. Tell the girls I’m sorry. I never wanted them to have to suffer like that…I guess I just forgot about the bigger picture for a while.”

“No. The bigger picture was never the problem.” Tank drawled coldly. “You forgot the pieces that made it up.”

Watching the giant rise and stalk out of the room Storm shivered, suddenly glad that she didn’t know exactly what had happened to her in that place.


“How’s it going?” Logan glanced at Tank from where he stood by the kitchen sink. The pale glow of the moon streaked across the counter, cascading onto the floor a silent witness to the plotting of the two men.

“How are we going to keep an eye on them? You and I both know he’ll have a new team put together quicker than Rogue can get you naked.”

Logan grinned and shrugged, “She is fast isn’t she?” Sobering he shrugged. “We need to make him understand that there are consequences.”

“Maybe your Mom could help out. She’s always willing to help out.”

Logan sent a telling look at Tank. “What’s Helen Creed gonna do that we can’t?”

Tank chuckled. “She’s not as tolerant and as honorable as you might assume. The drugs will take affect within the next six to eight hours Logan. You don’t have a lot of time.”

“I know it just I’d like to rip him apart limb from limb. Look at what he’s done. I see it every day; I can smell it on the girls most mornings. They still have nightmares, are still haunted by the destruction of their identities.”

“Which is why it’s even more important than ever to stop him before he can assemble another team Logan, you know that. Helen would be able to do that without it appearing to stir the pot as it were.”

“Send ‘em back to New York. I’ll call Helen.”

“Then go to bed. Your wife’s probably wondering what the hell happened to you.” Tank ordered and disappeared out into the darkened hallway.

Logan grabbed for the cordless phone and punched in the familiar number. He hated asking for anything but if it meant that Rogue could sleep at night without worrying then by God he’d do it.


“Creed Inc. Val speaking how may I help you?” The soft, sultry voice echoed over the wires.

“I need to talk to Helen.” Logan grunted.

“Oh hello Logan. Just a moment and I’ll get her.”

“Thanks.”

“Helen here.”

“Yeah I need a favor.”

Like warm, soothing water the warm laughter filled the phone receiver. “What do you need Logan?”

“We’re sending Xavier back to New York but we need some help. Need to make sure that he doesn’t assemble another team.”

“I can ensure that. I’ll handle it personally. How are the girls doing? I haven’t heard anything in a while…”

“Good. Still struggling with some things but they’re healing. I’m hoping this is the last stitch in that wound.”

“And you? How are you doing? I’ve seen the way you look at her, the way you stick so close. You must be going insane with being so stationary.”

“She’s here.” Logan grunted. “She’s freedom enough.”

“Leave Xavier to me Logan. Goodnight.”

“Yeah.” Logan hung up quickly and headed for the stairwell. He had a wife to snuggle up to and a life to start living. He wouldn’t count on anyone solving the problem of Xavier for him, oh no he’d keep his eyes and ears open. The first inkling of a problem and he’d be down there and guttin’ the old bastard faster than anyone would ever believe.