The warmth of the sun seemed out of place upon their faces as the X-Men were settled into a row of chairs. Only the smug grin of the woman currently eying them told them that not all was as it appeared. A moment later the sound of a chain rattling in the air had them exchanging glances.

“Is this really necessary?” Charles asked softly as he eyed the chain around looped through his ankle restraints. “I mean I can’t walk.”

“No but they can.” Tank drawled nodding at the others. “This way if you so much as twitch in the wrong way you’re gonna all be in serious trouble.”

“I swear Rogue’s getting worse.” Jubilee giggled as she approached the group and ran a hand over Tank’s chest. “Poor Logan.”

“What’s she doing now?”

“Debating the color scheme of the nursery. Says that a rainbow look is not appropriate.”

Tank shook his head. “You did remind her that we had planned on painting it in a neutral color?”

“Of course. Personally I think she’s just talking about the nursery because she’s hesitant about this wedding. Jitters.”

Tank shook his head. How’s Kitty holding up?”

“Like a pro. She’s currently putting the finishing touches on her makeup and is very excited. Something about the wedding of her dreams.”

“Thank you for letting us come.” Storm interrupted softly. “I realize this is some sort of statement but still to be included…”

Jubilee shook her head. “If I had my way you’d all be in the cells still. The only reason you’re above ground is because we try to teach our kids about not making snap judgments and letting go of hatred. Keep your mouths shut, a smile on your face and you’ll be fine.”

“And Jean?” Charles asked quickly.

Jubilee giggled and nodded toward a shrouded figure was being hustled along the aisle.

The pained hiss that came from behind the sheer veil told them it was Jean and they watched as Jubilee secured Jean into place with ankle and wrist restraints. The sun caught the edge of the collar around the doctor’s neck and Charles glared at Jubilee for a moment before keeping his mouth shut.

Maybe if they were placated enough by this presentation of normalcy they’d release him and his team. He hoped so because he had a school to run, and mutants out there to protect, to save.



Despite the painkillers racing through her body Jean ached everywhere. There wasn’t a muscle, a blood cell, a nucleolus that didn’t hurt. Hearing the familiar strains of a string instrument she glanced around and spotted a young woman standing in a flowing gown of blue beside a large harp.

A moment later the shadows that passed beside her drew her attention and she stared at Logan and Scott who were both dressed in similarly fashion. Scott wore a full black and white tuxedo while Logan was dressed in a black button down shirt, black jeans that had been pressed and his boots.

Both stared down the strip of pale silk toward the house that they’d come from as the sounds of the wedding march began. Turning as much as she could she stared at the two women walking down the aisle toward the men waiting for them.

Kitty looked stunning in a flowing gown of white. Her dark hair pulled up and away from her face, decorated with flowers. A delicate choker wrapped around her throat, and the faint but distinct lines indicated the scars she still wore.

Catching her eyes Jean swallowed at the victory and the love in them. She had to do something had to stop this or she’d never regain…

~Don’t even think about it.~ Charles’ voice popped into her mind. ~We’re trying to get home Jean, not make the situation worse.~

~But he’s mine!~ Jean cried out in her mind.

~No he isn’t.~

Staring at Scott Jean swallowed the rising nausea in her throat. There was no room in Scott’s gaze for her. There was no room for her in his life any longer. Everything she’d ever had, everything she’d believed she would always have with him was gone.

Jean noted the smile on Scott’s face and shifted. He’d never had that soft, loving look upon his face for her. There was nothing but warmth, love, adoration, trust, and a healthy dose of sexual need in that look. There was nothing that spoke of the responsibilities, the strain they’d suffered through.

A barely audible growl drew her from her appraisal and she glanced at Logan who looked ready to race over and grab Rogue. The lust on his face was hard, and yet there was tenderness there. There was something that he’d never shown towards her, a hint of power and something else…something that Jean had dreamt about but never experienced.

Shivering at the wave of memories, of sensations that skittered across her skin like an insect Jean struggled to control them even as she struggled with the effects of the drugs. She knew what was wrong now. Dimly listening to the sounds of the two men she’d wanted promising to love, honor, and cherish another she felt the last piece of her humanity fall away.

She had no strength left, nothing to fight the girls with any longer. They’d taken everything she’d ever worked for, everything she’d ever wanted from her and left her with nothing…not even her own mind.


The celebration buzzed around Jean who remained silent, distant as the day passed. When Tank appeared to ‘escort’ her and the others back into their cells she barely struggled. Instead she focused on keeping her skin from crawling, from the fading effects of the sedative she’d had.


Watching Jean carefully Storm sighed and moved over to Charles. “How do we finish this?”

“We don’t. We have to let them.” Charles replied glancing at the trio of young women sharing their celebrations with ease. Even Scott and Logan seemed more at ease, more relaxed than any other time he’d seen them.

The door of their cell loomed large as Tank all but pushed them along. When he dug out the key Charles glanced at him from his chair. “Is this over?’

“You tell me?” Tank drawled. “You think that because your precious Dr. Grey’s mind is gone that all is forgiven? I don’t know. That’s not my call.”

Storm let the others go in before her before she glanced at the tall, muscular man standing on guard against them. “Thank you.”

“For what?”

Storm glanced down at her shoes before eying him. “For saving me. You didn’t have to but you chose to. That makes you the bigger man…no pun intended.”

Tank shrugged. “Tell it to my girls. If it wasn’t for Rogue you’d still be there.”

Storm nodded and stepped inside. The sound of the lock turning in the door was loud in the silence and she stared at the trio who took up their usual positions against the wall. How much longer would they be here? How much more penance would Frankenstein need before she assumed the debt was settled?

Perhaps more importantly how much more was she, as a POW willing to give?