The quiet of late night filled the kitchen even as a lone light flicked on. The rasp of breathing broke the stillness and Logan glanced up to see the rest of the team.

“Hey.”

“I know we’re late. Had to let Rogue and Kitty get to sleep.” Scott explained sitting down quickly.

Logan nodded quickly and reached for another beer. “Any ideas?”

“On what?” Jubilee asked.

“With both Kitty and Rogue pregnant I’m not willing to risk a confrontation with the X-Men.” Logan said. “I won’t risk the lives of those two or their babies because of Xavier.”

Jubilee sighed and picked at the table. “Rogue won’t like this. Us talkin’ about this behind her back.”

“Rogue’s got enough on her mind right now.” Logan shot back. “She feels like she’s out of control. Her mutation is acting up, what she couldn’t touch before she can now without worry. She killed the houseplant she’s been nursing for weeks by accident. Let’s not add to her stress shall we.”

“Agreed.”

“So what do we do? How do we end this?”

“Send ‘em back to New York and forget the entire band of geeks.” Jubilee grumbled.

“What’s that going to do? They’ll still be out there. We’ll still have to deal with them.”

“How much would Charles be willing to give to get his team back?” Tank asked. “Would he be willing to forget us? Would he give up this incessant need to meddle, to interfere?”

“Perhaps.” Logan shifted in his chair. “But if we give his team back we lose any leverage we have.”

“What about the team?” Scott demanded. “What would they be willing to do to survive? They’ve all seen what the girls are capable, are willing to do. They’ve experienced our full force against them and they lost.”

“I don’t know. It would be worth a shot that’s for sure.” Tank muttered. “Make them choose…their vendetta or their freedom.”

“Storm would be sympathetic to us.” Jubilee said. “She’d be willing to listen at least the others I’m not sure of.”

“Jean isn’t included.” Logan ground out. “For what she did the bitch deserves to die.”

“Logan we can’t just kill her.” Jubilee declared. “Not when we went to all the trouble of torturing her so she’d remember…”

“That’s it.” Scott leaned forward. “Charles would do anything to regain control of his team, Jean in particular. We bargain with him…their lives, her life for our solitude.”

“So how do we get a hold of him to let him know what’s going on?” Jubilee asked. “He’s not exactly going to take a call from us.”

Scott grinned. “No? We’ll send a messenger someone totally unrelated to the situation. UPS sound good?”

Chuckling Logan leaned back in his chair. “I’ll talk to the rest of his team. See what they think. If they’re willing to bend a bit then perhaps this might work.”

“Okay. You want me to come with?” Jubilee demanded. “I’m interested in hearing what they think of the situation.”

Logan shrugged. “No time like the present I guess. Come on Jubilee. Scott see if you can get a hold of someone to deliver a message. Tank you have any suggestions?”

“Yeah. Don’t keep my girl down there too long.” Tank winked at Jubilee. “Three for three is better than two for three.”

Flushing slightly Jubilee nodded and followed Logan down to the basement.



Hearing the door opening Hank sat up sharply, nudging Storm awake. “Piotr wake up we’ve got company.”

“So what’s happening I wonder?” Piotr muttered stretching.

“Did we wake you?” Logan demanded closing the door easily.

“What’s going on Logan? Why the disturbance?”

Logan grinned and glanced at Jubilee who walked over to lean against the wall. “We’ve got a suggestion for you.”

Exchanging looks the trio waited uneasily for Logan to finish the thought. “What kind of suggestion?” Storm asked softly.

“You wanna go home?” Jubilee asked.

“Of course we do.”

“Good. Then you won’t mind giving up something to ensure that you stay as far away from us as possible.”

“What?” Storm demanded. “We don’t have anything.”

“Yes you do.” Jubilee walked over and knelt in front of her. “See as long as you’re alive, as long as you insist upon fighting us we can’t have peace. We want to be left alone. We have families, plans and they don’t include you.”

“So what do you want us to do?” Storm asked softly, trying to keep her fear at a minimum.

“Forget you ever knew us or what happened to Iceman and Red will carry over to you. We won’t be so nice next time.”

Storm glanced at Hank and Piotr who were staring at Jubilee and Logan with barely leashed hostility. “You gonna leave us alone?”

Jubilee laughed and rose to her feet. “You don’t really have any grounds to argue Storm. See it’s either that or we ask Rogue what to do with you. She won’t be so lenient. Think about it.”

“What are we going to do?” Storm asked.

“Whatever we’re told to do.” Hank replied. “We know they can kill us at any time. We’re not help to anyone stuck in this stupid cell.”

“Will they hold up their end of the bargain?” Piotr asked.

Storm sighed and stared at her hands. “I think so. After all what do they have to lose?”

Piotr and Hank looked at each other. Frankenstein had nothing to lose by killing them…and they weren’t willing to die because Jean had suddenly developed a thirst for power.