Stepping into the holding cell Kitty rolled her eyes. Storm lay against Hank who was currently snoring. Colossus was curled up on the only item that could pass for a pillow obviously sound asleep. Only Jean seemed to be awake.

Catching the red-head’s gaze Kitty sneered at her. “Morning.”

“Came to poison us huh?” Jean grumbled.

Kitty merely shook her head and moved across the room to the dumbwaiter. Opening it she pulled out the trolley and locked it into place.

“Where’s Warlok?” Jean demanded.

“Somewhere far away from here.” Kitty replied seriously. “He’s awaiting trial.”

“For what?”

Kitty glanced at Jean even as the others began to stir and sit up. “Why ask me? You already know the answer to that one.”

“Mmm food.” Storm eyed the plates appreciatively. “You aren’t going to try and kill us with food are you? Cause if so I’m first in line for breakfast.”

Kitty chuckled. “No Storm. It’s actually pretty good. Logan’s an amazing cook when he wants to be.”

“Logan made this?” Storm demanded spooning another mouthful of omelet into her mouth.

“Logan makes a lot of things.” Kitty replied before putting away the trolley and closing up the elevator. After securing the lock she turned and walked toward the door only to pause as Colossus stepped into her path. “Do you just like doors or something?”

“We just want to ask a couple of questions.”

“And you think blocking the doorway is going to what influence me to answer you?”

“Considering that he could kill you I’d say yes.” Jean muttered ignoring the dark looks sent her way.

“But he won’t. He lays one hand on me he’s got to deal with Scott.”

“When are you going to get it through your head Scott doesn’t want you? Why would he when he could have…”

“You?” Kitty laughed at her and poked Jean in the chest ignoring the pained hiss from the older woman. “I believe we discussed this. Remember right around the time you uh lost a finger and a half.”

Jean paled before going red in the face and lunging for Kitty who merely phased out letting Jean hit the floor hard.

“Did you tell ‘em? Did you fill them in on what you’ve done yet Jean? Do they realize that it’s been you that’s brought hell down upon them, upon all of us? Excuse me but I have work to do and you aren’t part of that.”

“You aren’t even pregnant.” Jean taunted. “How could you possibly be pregnant? They worked you over good…”

Kitty smirked. “I don’t know. I count my blessings though…and so does Scott when he’s screaming my name out while he comes.”

Jean glared at her hard. “This isn’t over.”

“Yes it is.” Kitty replied and walked through Colossus toward the door. “Because you aren’t half the woman you think you are.”

“You have no idea what its like do you little girl? You think you’ve got him firmly…just wait until the next thing comes along.”

“I hate to break it to you Jean,” Kitty paused. “But if he wanted to stray he’s got plenty of opportunities to do it. There are a few girls here, some younger than I am.”

Jean glared at the girl even as she stepped through the door. Sitting on the floor Jean tried to think of someway of getting rid of any and all competition. She had to…

“So you gonna fill us in?” Storm asked harshly. “You actually gonna break down and tell us what you did?”

“I didn’t do anything wrong!” Jean snapped.

“No. Of course you didn’t. You just have several young women wanting to mutilate you. You’ve got a big ‘T’ branded on your face, missing several fingers…and it’s all because they’re jealous of your good looks!” Storm raged.

“Oh shut up!” Jean moved back against the wall. She was developing a headache and wanted quiet.

“You don’t get what you want Jean. You owe us that much! You seem to know why three of the brightest students we ever had are now out to kill us!” Storm ground out.

“Easy.” Hank rested a hand on her arm. “We need to keep our heads.”

“Yeah ‘Ro listen to the furball.” Jean muttered under her breath. “Don’t know why Charles thought we needed another doctor on the payroll.”

Hank growled at her but remained where he was. “I believe Ororo has a point. You owe us an explanation.”

“You owe us an explanation.” Jean mocked. “Of what? I don’t owe you a thing. I’m not one of your pupils Dr. McCoy for you to order about. I was doing quite well before you showed up…”

“Regardless, you owe us an explanation or we’ll give you back to Frankenstein and let her rip you apart.”

Jean gaped at Hank’s threat. Surely the man wouldn’t do that…would he?”

“What’s going on Dr. Grey?” Colossus asked. “We’re involved in this and we have a right to know.”

“So you want to know what’s going on huh?” Jean snickered. “Fine I’ll tell you. It’s not like you have any relevance in this.”

Ignoring their shared dark looks Jean shifted, getting comfortable. “I’m securing our futures.”

“Our futures?”

“Sure? Sounds good doesn’t it? Do you have any idea what’s going to happen? Rogue’s a Level Six mutant. With her powers she can kill anyone or anything but she doesn’t use it. Too much a goody goody I guess.”

“Rogue’s mutation doesn’t work that way. She absorbs the person’s entirety not just their gifts.”

“Whatever. The point is she showed up. Granted Logan came with her but still why risk the welfare of everyone around her to save her hide? The world would be a better place without Rogue in it. Or have you forgotten what she did to me?”

“I remember what she did to me.” Storm replied coldly. “You mean to tell me that you’re jealous of Rogue?”

Jean sighed and leaned her head back. “What’s the point of this? Oh yes right. I knew what would happen on that mission and I knew we needed to send someone disposable. Someone who wouldn’t be missed…”

“Logan missed her.”

“Yes that’s just because she’s got him confused. When his mind clears he’ll figure out where and with whom he belongs.”

“You mean you don’t you?” Storm asked softly.

“Of course. Who else is he going to be with…you?” Jean shook her head. “I never thought for a moment that she’d survive. They promised me that she wouldn’t… but I guess she was just too much entertainment to pass up on.”

“Who told you…?”

Jean shrugged, “A contact I made…”

“That Captain? The one that was so desperate to get you out of here.” Colossus rose to his feet. “You’ve been sleeping with the enemy.”

“Oh Colossus you’re young, and foolish. The army isn’t the enemy at this point. It’s that bunch that’s got us locked up. Treating us like animals. I mean how is anyone supposed to eat with a spoon!”

“Why Jean? Why would you betray us like that? I thought we were friends? Family?”

“Because you’re in the bloody way!” Jean snarled. “If I have to listen to one more ‘save a mutant’ speech from any of you I’m going to puke. Magneto doesn’t even get it. It’s not mutants against humanity…it’s the strongest survive. You don’t kill the humans to get what you want. You use them. Twist them into knots and make them do what you want. With you freaks out of the way I’ll be the only one left. He’s going to have to trust me, listen to me. Together we can…”

“We? Who are you talking about? Magneto?”

“Charles moron,” Jean snickered. “We’re very much alike. Telepaths, so much more powerful, more in control than the rest of you.”

“I’m going to be sick.” Storm swallowed harshly. “I can’t believe that you’re planning on destroying all of mutant kind just so you and Charles can what? Be together. Get married and rule the world?”

“Married?” Jean shook her head. “No, I have no intention of marrying. Together we could effectively control everything around us. We’d have everything.”

“And Scott? Logan?”

“Toys. Nothing more, nothing less. To be used until I’m bored of them.”

Storm stared at the woman she’d known forever. “I don’t even know you. You aren’t the woman I knew…”

“Oh Storm, you have no idea who or what I am. You never did.”

Hearing the door opened everyone turned to face it. When the doorway was filled with the now familiar form that rivaled Colossus for size they exchanged looks.

“Having fun kids?” The man asked.

“Look I know we’re the enemy and all but couldn’t we have another cell?” Storm asked. “One away from her? If I have to listen to her delusional speech for another moment I’m going to scream…or kill her.”

“You’ll have to see if the boss is agreeable.” He drawled and glanced over his shoulder. “Boss?”

“Sure. Separate them. Jean can go into Cell D.”

“Uh that ain’t hardly big enough for a grown woman.”

“So?” Rogue stepped into view. “It’s shielded from telepathy, and it’s perfect for that bitch. Now then if you’d like to move her Tank, I’ll watch the other kiddies.”

Spitting and protesting Jean was hustled from the room and down the hall leaving Rogue standing in the doorway looking at the other three.

“Where’s Warlok Rogue?” Storm asked.

“Awaiting trial.”

“And us? What’s going to happen to us? You gonna turn us over to the army? The police?”

Rogue shook her head. “No. I’m going to do the one thing you’ll never guess. Have a nice day.”

The click of the lock sliding into place sent a chill down their spines as they were left standing in their cozy cell. What in the world had she meant?