Storm sat on the hard floor of a spotless room. Her gaze darted to Beast who was busy trying to keep Jean stable even as the other woman struggled with her obvious dislike of the man.

“Why don’t you take a break Hank?” Storm asked softly. “It’s not like they’re gonna let her die.”

“She needs to be constantly…”

“Perhaps but she doesn’t want you to do it.” Storm sighed and turned her head to where Colossus was sitting reading a thick novel. “Tell me you didn’t bring that with you.”

“No it was up there.” Colossus pointed without glancing up.

Looking up Storm smirked. “Well I’ll be. Remind me next time I’m a POW to be here.”

Jean’s soft pained snort had Beast glancing down at her. “Is it off yet?” Jean croaked.

“Yes.” Beast held up the collar and eyed her. “But I don’t recommend you trying anything. We’re likely to get separated…”

“Who cares?” Jean muttered softly. “I don’t need you.”

Beast glared at her for a moment before moving off to settle next to Storm. “You going to get lost in a book?”

“You got a better idea?” Storm asked. “Warlok’s out there alone and we can’t help him. If we try who knows what they’ll do.”

“Probably nothing.” Beast said as the door opened and Jubilee walked in. Her hair was wet and she wore a loose fitting blouse, jeans, and slippers. “Jubilee!”

“Don’t get your heart rates up.” Jubilee declared. “Feeding time.”

“Don’t you mean supper time?”

“Supper is reserved for us…feeding time is for the animals around here.”

Colossus stood shifting until he stood a few inches from the door. If he could get out, or keep her in here maybe they could…

“I wouldn’t stand there if I were you.” Jubilee glanced at him and smiled. “I’m not alone and if I think for a moment that I need help Tank’ll be in here faster than you can say Jean Grey’s gonna die. He isn’t nearly as understanding as I am right now.”

“Where’s Kitty and Rogue?” Beast asked.

“Why you think they’ll be more considerate of your needs?” Jubilee asked unlocking the dumbwaiter and pulling out a short, trolley with several covered plates on it.

“No. I wanted to discuss something with all of you.”

Jubilee paused and glanced at him. “We have no mercy for those who had none for us.”

“But we aren’t the enemy.”

“Whatever.” Pushing the trolley back into the dumbwaiter she sent it up again and locked the door. Turning she walked toward the door only to stop when Colossus stepped in her path. “Move tin-man or I’ll move you.”

“Why Jean?” Storm asked softly. “I mean I understand Warlok…I can even accept his punishment, but Jean? It doesn’t make sense.”

“It makes perfect sense. She sold us out.”

“How?”

With a dark look Jubilee looked at the X-Men then at Jean who had struggled into a sitting position. The look of victory on the red-head’s face drew upon her anger but she ruthlessly pushed it aside.

“I think she should explain it. After all she has a lot to explain.”

“No one will believe your lies.” Jean ground out painfully.

Jubilee shrugged. “No? Scott does. Captain Frank Burrows does.”

Jean paled at Jubilee’s statement. “Just goes to show that you’re in contact…”

“Captain Burrows was quite interested in the information we had. So interested in fact that he begged us to release you. Begged us to show some mercy for you. So why don’t you try to explain to these fine people exactly what it was that you wanted to do with us out of the way.”

“You’re not worth the effort.”

“You think you are?”

“I know I am.”

With a snicker Jubilee shrugged. “Right or wrong you brought this on yourself. You’re the one with the lover on the other side not me. My lover knows which side he’s fighting for.”

Stepping around Colossus Jubilee opened the door and paused. “I would rather spend the rest of my life as an enemy of Xavier’s than fall for the load of shit you peddle. At least I know I’m not going to be betrayed because someone gets jealous.”


Beast stared at Jean for a moment. “What’s she talking about?”

“Who knows? She’s delusional.”

“I don’t think so.” Storm stated. “I think she’s telling the truth. I think you know more than you’re saying. If I were you I’d start talking.”

“Don’t you see what she’s trying to do? She’s trying to separate us. Divide and conquer.”

Storm shook her head. “No. This is something much more personal for you. What did you do Jean?”

Staring at Storm Jean felt a chill go through her. “What I had to.” She said.

“What was that?” Beast growled anger rising within him. Just what had Jean done that had resulted in their captivity? What had the other doctor done that would result in the current circumstances?

Jean shook her head. Every part of her body ached. Her hand was numb…a side effect of having an amputation. Her face burnt, her arm burnt, and her head pounded steadily. All she wanted was to curl up and sleep for a bit. Sleep and perhaps later things would have blown over so she didn’t have to deal with the situation…and the knowledge of just how badly she’d allowed things to get messed up.

“I’m tired.” Jean whispered sinking back onto the bed she’d been resting on. “Tired of all of this.”

“Who isn’t?” Storm snapped. “What the hell is going on Jean?”

Jean sighed and closed her eyes. “You wouldn’t understand. I had to do it.” She whispered allowing sleep to claim her. The darkness of sleep would save her from their questions, and the rising anger that filled the room.