With a cup of coffee in her hands Rogue stared out the window at Kitty and several of the kids they’d taken in. The faint scars on her friend’s face had faded a great deal in the months since their move from Helen Creed’s place. Physically they’d bounced back, falling back into the warmth and caring of the men in their lives.

Rogue knew that they needed to learn to stand on their own. Knew that they needed to prove that they could stand alone and with the men busy with their newest ‘plan’ she was thinking it was the perfect time.

“Don’t even think it.” Logan’s distinct growl had her glancing at him with a smile.

“What?”

“I know you darlin’ and I can see that you’re planning something. Don’t even worry about it.”

“I was thinking of a simple test is all.”

“A test for what?”

“To see if we can stand alone.”

Logan moved over and pulled her back against him. “You stand alone every day Rogue. No matter how many think different you three have more strength in yourselves than you know.”

“But we’ve always relied upon…”

“Even the Rock of Gibralter needs a foundation.” Logan pointed out softly. “Besides that I don’t think Kitty’s too anxious to be going into battle.”

“Why not?”

“I think she might be pregnant.”

“What? Tank said…”

“I know what he said. Just as I know about you injecting your blood into them. I could smell you on them for days afterwards.”

“I had no choice.”

“Don’t defend your actions to me Marie. I’m not going to blame you.”

Rogue sighed. “We have so much to fix I don’t even know where to start.”

“Fix?”

“The nightmares came back.” Rogue whispered sadly as she studied Jubilee and Kitty who were talking amongst themselves. “Every night this week one of us has wakened with a nightmare. We’ve spent more time down here in this kitchen than the rest of you put together.”

“Look we have an idea of who’s creating a problem with Xavier. Let us go deal with it then we’ll all take a holiday. Go anywhere you want to go.”

Rogue sighed. “Going after Jean Grey isn’t going to solve the problems.”

“Perhaps. But do you really want us to stop?”

Rogue shook her head. “No. I think you should let us help you.”

Logan chuckled and kissed her quickly. “No. Not this time. This is for us. For what she’s done against the entirety of us. That we’ll get justice for you three is merely a part of that.”

“Be careful Logan. She doesn’t play games and if she can find a way to kill you she will.”

Logan nodded quickly. “She tries it and she’ll be spending a lot of time wishing she’d never been born.”

“Don’t hurt her like that…” Rogue whispered softly. “Don’t use her body…”

“Hey we’re not like that. You know me, and Tank, and Scott. You know we’re gonna find a way of tormenting her without defiling our bodies.”

Rogue nodded slightly. “I’m just scared.”

“That’s alright. We all are.” Logan pulled her against his chest and held on. “We all are but we can’t put this off. This is something that has to be done.”

“Come home to us.”

“We will.”

“Logan?” Scott’s voice interrupted them.

“Coming.”

Meeting Rogue’s gaze Scott saw more than the wash of fear. He recognized the pain and the longing, and the faint but distinct flare of hope. Smiling softly at her he turned to walk away.

“Scott?”

“Yeah Rogue?”

“Bring him home to me.”

With a quick nod he moved away from the doorway. He didn’t know if he could honor that request but he’d die trying.


Alone in the kitchen Rogue shivered suddenly cold to the bone. No amount of training, no amount of experience could ever prepare her for the fact that she could very easily lose Logan. Hearing the engine of the four by four Rogue raced to the front door.

“LOGAN!” Scrambling down the stairs she raced toward him. Diving into his arms she held him tightly. “I love you.”

“Love you to darlin’. I’ll be back soon.” He promised softly.

“I know. It’s the only thing keeping me here.”


Logan climbed into the driver’s side of the vehicle and closed the door just as Kitty and Jubilee joined Rogue. He waved at them, seeing the tears Rogue refused to shed in her dark eyes.

“Lets get the bitch; I don’t like seein’ my girl hurting.” He growled.

“Yeah. Where?”

“Helen’s lined up a bunker for us a couple of hours south of Calgary. She’s going to make sure that the good Doctor is there no later than Saturday night.” Tank explained checking his gun. “We’ll have complete privacy.”

“She sending anyone?” Logan asked.

“She’s got Reaper and Val on standby just in case we need help. Said to be careful and to use our telepathy blockers.”

“I still don’t get it.” Scott sighed. “Why be jealous of a bunch of teenagers? Why go as far as she did to get rid of them?”

“We’ll ask her when we see her.”

“You do realize that the girls will ultimately follow us?” Tank pointed out smoothly.

“I know. I give it two days before they make contact. Rogue isn’t exactly the type to keep her distance from me. She needs me as much as I need her.”

Scott nodded. “Then lets make sure they get what they deserve shall we?”

“Agreed.”

Falling silent the men headed east. They’d beat Jean Grey to the location and get things set up. Once she was there, she’d learn the error of her ways and no amount of telepathy or telekinesis would save her.