“What in the world would make you think that confronting them would be advisable?” Charles fumed as he stared at Storm and Beast.

“They aren’t some unknown monster!” Storm shot back. “They’re a living, breathing team. An expert group that would be an impressive ally.”

“They’re the enemy. Do you understand what could have happened? If they’d thought for a moment that it wouldn’t bring us down upon them they’d have killed you.”

Storm shook her head, “No. I don’t think so. I think they’re just biding their time waiting for the day when you pull your head out of your ass and see them for who they are! You look at them and see the used up leftovers from the army. I saw them and they’re trained, skilled beyond anything we’ve got. I see a group of people trying desperately to become what you would never let them be!”

“And what would that be?” Jean hissed.

“Equals.” Storm rose and faced Jean. “So what was it that had you in such a rage about them? I remember the meetings we had before this began and you were so so so bloody desperate to get them gone. Why is that?”

“Storm they’re not our friends. They’re dangerous and you have no idea how lucky you are.”

“I don’t have any idea, huh? Tell me Jean who is that you hate more the girls or Scott and Logan? Hmm? How much more do they have to suffer before we can accept them?”

“Ororo please calm down.”

“They got me out! They saved children, little babies and they treated them as carefully as they could. Not once in the entire time that they had me did anyone touch me inappropriately. They brought me home! What more do they have to do for you to see?”

“’Ro honey,” Hank rested a hand on her arm. “It’s like Logan said. We’re wasting their time.”

“I’m trying to save lives!” Storm shouted a rumble of thunder booming. Frankenstein could so easily kill us and they haven’t. The only one who died was Bobby and that’s just because he raped Jubilee! I know it, you know it, and everyone with a brain knows it. He got what he deserved…and you haven’t learned a thing from that experience.”

“What are we supposed to do Storm? Allow them back here with the children?” Charles snapped angrily.

“Ask yourself this questions Charles,” Storm said as she walked to the door. “If our places were reversed, if it was you in that place and someone you saw as an enemy saved you, helped you. What would you be willing to do to pay them back?”

Staring after Storm Charles glanced at Jean and noted the cold, indifferent look upon her face. ~Jean? Is there a problem?~

~She’s delusional. She actually thinks they helped her out because they’re good, warm hearted people.~

~And you don’t?~

Jean glanced at him and shrugged. ~They took Scott, they hurt you and I, and they killed Bobby. You telling me that induces warm, fuzzy feelings for them?~

Listening to Jean walk away Charles sighed and glanced at Hank who watched him impassively. “Do you have an opinion on this?”

“Yes Professor I do. I think you have no idea how lucky you are that all those girls want is to be acknowledged. If they wanted to come in here and kill all of us they could and we couldn’t do a damn thing to stop them. We’re not dealing with three teenagers. You’re dealing with a highly trained, merciless killing machine!”

“And you really believe that?”

“They could have killed us in a heartbeat Charles. Could have hurt Storm in front of me and I wouldn’t have been able to do a damn thing to save her. Instead they heard us out, gave us their answer and left us alive and unscathed. You tellin’ me if you were them you’d do the same thing?”

Charles shivered. He didn’t know anymore what he’d do. He did know that he had to find out what was going to happen to his team. He wondered idly if Logan would allow him an audience. There was only one way to find out.


Picking up the phone Jean dialed a familiar number and waited counting rings.

“Yes?”

“Got another target for you,” she whispered softly. “The address is simple.” She rattled off the information. “You’ll have to hit it within the next few days. Thursday would be the best day for you – more targets to get.”

“Thanks.” The line went dead and Jean hung up. Tapping her nails on the reciever she smirked.

Glancing out the window the smirk shifted, became soft, cold, and bitter. Xavier’s weakening resolve toward getting rid of the girls angered her. She’d make sure he regretted his decision, and she’d do it with style.