Storm stared out over the grounds as she sat sipping tea her mind a tangled mess. In the month that she’d been back at Xavier’s she’d witnessed things that she’d never have believed. For the first time in her memory she’d seen Charles plan for an all out offensive attack on the Frankenstein organization.

Each day, each moment brought the team closer to having to attack and it bothered her. She’d repeatedly said it wasn’t a good idea only to be out voiced by Jean and Charles. Neither was willing to allow anyone else on their side to be harmed. Especially after Warlok had been badly beaten in the last confrontation with the other group.

“Figured I would find you out here,” Hank’s warm drawl had her glancing behind her to stare at him.

Hank was the only one who seemed to give a damn that she was still dealing with the loss of memories from whatever they’d pumped through her system. He’d been a steady presence when the nightmares and the ghosts had gotten to be too much.

“Still not talking huh?” Hank nodded as he settled next to her on the bench in her garden.

“No point to it,” Storm stated calmly.

“I’m willing to listen.”

“They brought me home Hank. Treated my wounds, fed me, clothed me, and then they brought me home. What sort of psychotic monster does that?”

Hank shrugged, this was an old topic. “One that isn’t so psychotic. I don’t know perhaps they had their own agenda. Perhaps you were of no value to them.”

“They’ve been saving kids. Taking them in off the streets, out of those places,” Storm spat angrily. “Giving them some dignity and Charles is deaf to it. He doesn’t see them as anything other than an enemy.”

“But you do?”

“Lets just say I don’t see an enemy when I look at them. If given half a chance there’s a good possibility that they could be convinced to work with us. To help us stop those who would destroy us.”

“Nothing like feeling for your enemy.”

“I knew you wouldn’t understand,” Storm sighed and returned her attention to her roses.

“I saw a girl that day one whose suffered a great deal. I agree that they’re not the enemy but they can’t be given free rein especially when they killed one of our own in such a horrid manner.”

Storm nodded, “Did you watch the disk?”

“No.”

“Before you pass judgement watch it. Tell me that he didn’t have it coming for what he did to Jubilee.”

Hank sighed, “What was he guilty of Ororo? We’re at war here, things are never nice.”

“Rape is not tolerable in any condition,” Storm drawled. “I saw Jubilee before they returned me here. She’s scarred both physically and emotionally. The bright, energetic young woman we knew is long gone. But she’s not afraid to love. She’s not afraid to live. I saw that when she was with their doctor.”

“And Scott?”

Storm sighed; it was harder to put into words what she’d seen. “He’s happy. He’s got love and equality. A purpose that’s bigger than what he had here. I don’t know Hank; it seems to me that we’re fighting the wrong people.”

“So what do you suggest?”

She glanced at him carefully. She didn’t know what she wanted but she knew what she didn’t. “Trying to talk to them. We owe them nothing if not an apology for forgetting them. We made Frankenstein, perhaps its time we tried to communicate with it.”

“Charles would never go for it.”

“Then we’ll have to make sure he does. I won’t allow what happened to me to be forgotten. I got off easy Hank, a few blind spots in my mind, a few bruises, some residual effects of those drugs. Kitty and Jubilee are scarred with the degradation and abuse they suffered. Rogue is more volatile, more deadly than ever. And that’s just the girls. You really saying you think we can win against Logan, Scott, and that other guy? Seems to me you didn’t fare so well last time.”

Hank nodded, “Do you have any idea how to contact them? Perhaps they would be willing to meet on neutral territory?”

“Perhaps,” Storm smiled softly. “I think we need to chat with Warlok. Seems to me he’ll know where he and Bobby where when they hurt Jubilee.”

“I’ll get the information. Be ready to head out tonight. We’ll have to fly up via private means. Can’t take the jet.”

Storm nodded, “We’ll meet them on their turf. Hank, I’m not out for blood. I merely want to know why.”

Nodding Hank left the area quickly. He had much work to do to prepare and very little time to do it.



Logan leaned back in his chair on the porch and watched the trio in the yard. They had all suffered minor injuries during the last confrontation with the X-men and were trying to get back in top form.

“Still at it I take it?”

“Yeah,” Logan glanced at Scott. “Seem bound and determined to win regardless.”

“Got something today,” Scott handed over the slim card. “Was in town when I stopped to pick up some more groceries.”

Logan turned it over and frowned. It reeked of two very distinctive scents, “Wonder what they want.”

“Maybe they’re ready to switch sides,” Scott joked as Logan tore into the envelope.

A deriseive snort was the only reply at Logan read the small note, “Damn them.”

“What is it?” Scott asked.

“They want to talk.”

“Talk?” Scott laughed unwittingly drawing the girls’ attention. “Sure and if we believe that we’re all toddlers.”

“Says it’s just the two of ‘em and they’ll meet us anywhere we want.”

“Who?”

“’Ro and Beast.”

Taking the card Scott read the short, impersonal note and sighed, “What do you think?”

“I think its not up to me. The girls have a say in this to.”

“Who wants to meet us?” Rogue asked as they paused by the foot of the steps.

“Storm and Beast,” Scott replied.

Glancing amongst themselves the girls shrugged, “Okay. We can meet ‘em at the old mill. Find out what they want.”

“You sure? I ain’t about to set you up.”

“What are they going to do?” Kitty demanded, “Bring Xavier with them? So what? We’ll deal with him!”

“Just as long as you think you can do it. We’ll be there to back you up, so you know you won’t be alone.”

Rogue smirked at him, “Sugar, it’s about time Xavier pulled his head outta his ass and came to talk shop. He wants an all out war, we’ll give it to him. But he’s gonna have to pay to collect.”

Chuckling Logan glanced at Scott as the girls walked away back to their sparring. “Well it’s gonna be entertaining to say the least.”

“I know I’m gonna enjoy going to this meeting. I’ll leave a message with Doria, tell ‘em to meet us in three days.”

“You do that.”

Logan moved down the steps quickly. Catching the staff before it connected he grinned at Rogue for a moment before glancing at the other two, “If ya don’t mind. I’m stealin’ her for a bit.”

Giggling as he hoisted her over his shoulder Rogue waved at the other two, “See you at dinner!” She called.

“Dinner hell, see you at breakfast if we’re lucky!” Jubilee called.

When the pair were out of sight she glanced at Kitty, “You ready for this?”

Kitty grinned, “All I’m gonna say is they better bring their best. I’m feeling generous.”