“Have you found her?” Hank demanded pacing Charles office.

“No, not yet,” Charles replied tiredly. His face was haggard, his shoulders slumped. He had found no indication of Storm, not a stray thought, not her conscious mind, nothing. It was almost like she’d vanished from the face of the earth.

“Well might I suggest you try again?” Hank snarled angrily.

“Hank I’m doing the best I can. There’s been nothing; I can’t even find a hint of her not even with Cerebro. Wherever they’ve taken her is shielded.”

“Well then find someone who could help!”

“Who?” Jean snapped. “Logan and his little band of freaks? They won’t help Hank; probably laugh their ass off at the situation.”

“And you don’t care,” Hank ground out, “Yes we know. Charles Storm is a vital member of this family. You said it yourself, she’s part of us.”

“I’m spending hours searching for her Hank, I’ve tried everything. What else would you like me to do?”

“Nothing. Obviously,” Hank snapped and stormed out of the room. He couldn’t believe that anyone would be so callous as to just leave a team member out there in the hands of those monsters.

Perhaps if he went north, if he begged Logan and his team might be so inclined to help Storm. To get her back to him regardless of what condition she was in.


Storm rubbed her temple where it ached and blinked her eyes open. Staring into the dimly lit ceiling she frowned, this didn’t look like the mansion’s medlab. Shifting she forced herself into a sitting position and glanced around.

It was obviously a medical facility from the equipment scattered around. Three more beds filled the room, each one held a small, bony child. From the scars, bruises, and more than one IV it looked like they’d all been half-starved and tortured.

“You should rest more,” the soft voice was distinctly masculine and Storm turned her head sharply to see a broad shouldered man standing eying her with a practiced look. “I’ll get you some juice.”

Swallowing at her dry throat’s scream for some moisture Storm watched him pour a small glass of apple juice and stick a straw into it. After drinking from the glass she eased back onto the bed, “Where am I?”

“Monster House,” the man replied. “I’m Tank.”

“How’d I get here?”

“We brought you here,” he glanced up at the other beds. “You and the other four captives from that facility.”

“I can’t remember. It’s too fuzzy.”

“A blessing in disguise,” Tank replied seriously. “You don’t want to remember the hell that you endured there.”

“Tank?” A soft, familiar voice had Storm jerking her gaze toward the doorway where a young woman dressed in yellow and black stood eying her. “You want me to relieve you?”

“No,” Tank smiled warmly, affectionately. “But you could keep me company.”

“Anything for you baby,” Jubilee smiled and moved toward him. Pushing a stray lock of hair behind her ear she glanced at Storm who stared at her in shock and horror. “You wanna play a game of cards or something?”

Tank chuckled and pulled her against him, “How’s Rogue and Kitty?”

“Kitty’s tired again. Said she was going to have a nap with Scott,” Jubilee giggled, “From the look in her eye she wasn’t thinking of sleep.”

“And Rogue?”

“She’s with Logan and the baby. They’re deep in conversation.”

“She say anything to you?”

Jubilee shook her head, “No but I have a feeling she’s gonna keep the baby. She doesn’t want to give her up. Last I heard her and Logan were talking about expanding again. Seems they want to keep the baby and the little kids we got. Figure if we keep ‘em they’ll be better off.”

“Makes sense. I didn’t think they’d let anyone else take ‘em off our hands.”

Jubilee nodded, “Where do you stand on it?”

Tank glanced at the sleeping children, none were older than ten and all had been badly misused. “Safety first. They belong here. Belong in a place where men like Xavier can’t get his slimy hands on ‘em.”

“Hey I resent that,” Storm protested weakly.

Glancing down at her Tank shrugged, “Don’t see him here do you? Wonder if he’s given up on you like he did my girl and her friends or is he just biding his time.”

“Charles looked for them,” Storm protested.

“Save it,” Jubilee declared, “You should rest. The sooner you get your strength up the sooner you’re outta here.”

Staring at the hostile girl Storm felt a bolt of fear, “I don’t know…”

“Rest. It’s the best thing for you,” Jubilee declared and walked away. “I’ll make another pot of coffee Tank.”

“Sounds good.” Tank watched Jubilee disappear, “Don’t expect her to be welcoming to you. As far as you’re concerned you and your little friends are responsible for her scars, her nightmares.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about? They killed one of their own!”

“Are you referring to Iceman?”

Storm nodded quickly and felt a chill go through her at the man’s slow, evil little grin.

“For what he did he deserved to die. Now I’m a good one for letting the law handle men like him but not this time. This time he had to pay for his sins against Jubilee and Kitty. I don’t hold with raping a woman…any woman regardless of what you think she might be.”

Watching the man stalk off Storm sighed tiredly. With any luck she could regain her strength before she called for help and someone came to get her. Soon, because she didn’t think she could stand to stay and endure the treatment of a group of cold individuals.



Stirring Storm blinked and sat up straighter as she realized she was in a moving vehicle, “Where are we?”

“New York,” Rogue’s distinct southern drawl had her glancing sharply at the driver’s seat. “Just crossed it actually.”

“I don’t remember.”

“Didn’t think we were going to let you see where we lived do you?” Rogue chuckled. “Nope, we slipped you a mild tranquillizer. You’ve been awake on and off for the past couple of days.”

“So I take it we’re nearly back at the mansion?” Storm asked softly glancing down to see she was dressed in a comfortable dress, her feet encased in worn boots.

“Yes. Should be there in about an hour.”

“Why?”

“Why what?”

“Why are you taking me back? Why not just…”

“I’m Frankenstein,” Rogue replied with a hint of anger in her tone, “Not Xavier.”

Falling silent Storm stared at Rogue as she drove. Glancing over her shoulder she saw Logan lounging in his seat, obviously asleep if his closed eyes were any indication. “Why is he in the back?”

“Because he’s got claws,” Rogue replied as she checked her mirrors, “And if you’d proven to be a bit more disruptive we wanted the ability to control you.”

“So you’re driving because what? You’re saner then he is?”

Rogue laughed softly, “No. I’m twice as dangerous as Logan is Storm. My mind’s a tangle of the personalities that occupy it, my body’s been changed, and my mutation is even more deadly…” she paused and looked at the woman sitting next to her. “Logan’ll just kill you… a couple of minute’s tops. I’ll draw it out for days if I want to.”

Shivering at the chill in her tone Storm glanced out the windshield.

“Trust her on that one,” Logan’s deep voice had Storm jumping. “She’s really good at it to. Better than anyone I’ve ever seen.”

“Except for you of course,” Rogue grinned and glanced at him over her shoulder. “Because you’re the best at what you do.”

“I’m the best at doing you,” Logan shot back with a leer. “Another hour you figured?”

“Yeah. Maybe a little less if I hurry it the hell up.”

“Put a little weight on that gas pedal,” Logan leaned forward, “I’ve got an urge to hold you.”

Rogue smiled and reached back to squeeze his hand. “Always baby, always.”

The remainder of the drive was silent. Logan sat with one hand on Rogue’s shoulder, his fingers moving in slow, steady movements, his gaze on her with a heated intensity. Rogue drove steadily, confidently her gaze hard, a warmth in her body as she moved beneath Logan’s hand.

Rolling to a stop at the gates Rogue cut the engine and glanced over her shoulder, “You ready?”

“Get it done,” Logan growled as Rogue slid out of the car. Glancing at Storm he smirked, “I’m sure you’re glad to be home but just remember this. If she doesn’t come back out in three minutes, I’m gonna come in and you’re gonna wish you were back in that cell. Being a POW will be easy compared to the violence I can unleash.”

Storm nodded and opened the door. Standing next to Rogue on the sidewalk she shuddered, with any luck the Professor would be able to retrieve her memories, be able to tell her what she was missing.


Hearing the sound of a car door slamming Hank started for the front door ignoring Jean who sat in the rec room with Charles watching the afternoon news updates. Opening the door he stepped outside and froze, walking up the walkway were two familiar women. Both moved slowly, yet comfortably. It was obvious that there would be no mercy from the brunette as she glanced at Storm.

Jumping off the steps he moved toward them only to pause at Storm’s panicked look. Impatiently waiting for them to reach him he debated calling to the Professor.

“Hank,” Storm smiled shakily.

“Are you okay?” Hank asked, “We should get you inside. I’ll examine you…”

“A few cuts, some bruises, residual effects of the drugs but she’ll be okay. Our physician checked her over,” Rogue declared and with a final glance at Storm turned and walked back to the waiting vehicle.

Hank watched her go for a moment before hurrying after her, “Rogue wait!”

Turning sharply Rogue let her claws slide out, a dark look on her face.

“I just wanted to say thank you for bringing her home.” Hank stopped short of where Rogue’s reach ended. “It means a lot to me.”

Shrugging Rogue looked at him, “I’m not Xavier.”

Watching Rogue walk away Hank glanced down at Storm who smiled back at him. “How are you really ‘Ro?”

“Better than I was. They treated me better than we would’ve done in their stead,” she stated calmly. “Three meals a day, clothes, medical treatments, and then they brought me home. I’d say we’re not just dealing with a killing machine.”

Hank nodded, “Come on lets get you inside.”

Storm nodded and watched the dark vehicle pull away from the gates and disappear up the road. What exactly they’d hope to get she didn’t understand but she would… someday.

Taking a deep breath she followed Hank up the steps, there would be questions and she wasn't too sure she had all the answers for the team. She knew she had none for herself.