Hunkered on the cold, hard floor Storm idly traced the pattern of gouges on a wall. The pounding weight in her head kept her motionless, kept her from reacting too strongly when the door opened and a lab coat clad man stepped into the room.

“It would appear that you’ve been granted a reprieve,” the man drawled walking toward her, “At least temporarily.”

Blinking at the words Storm showed no outward sign of recognition, no emotion. Rather she sat there trying to think, trying to figure out where she was. How long she’d been there. Swallowing against the rising fear as the walls began closing in on her she sat docilely while she was given another injection.

As the drug began to course through her system she sighed, her head falling back against the wall as the haze spread through her mind. She couldn’t feel the walls closing in, couldn’t feel the cold, dankness of her prison. Instead she sat in a state of catatonic euphoria, caring about nothing but herself.



“Okay Cyke, you’ve never been on one of these with us so here’s the lowdown,” Logan ground out. “Get in, get the target, and get out. Anyone gets in the way blast ‘em. We don’t want to leave witnesses.”

“Gotcha,” Scott looked over to where the Rogue, Kitty, and Jubilee were standing. The trio leaned against the each other, gathering strength from their ties. A subtle shift of muscle, a coldness in a gaze that held traces of bitterness and remembrance were all indications that the three were on a no prisoner mission.

“Any questions?” Logan ground out. Getting negatives from everyone he smiled at the girls, “Alright. Let’s move out.”

A quick check of weapons and the girls fell into step with the men. Sidling up next to Scott Kitty glanced at him and smirked, “How ya doing Scott?”

“Good. Let’s go get her.”

Nodding Kitty fell silent, her hand adjusting her comm-link easily before she fell into step behind Rogue. Most of these places were all designed similarly and she could only guess at which level Storm would be on.

Moving slowly, cautiously down dark hallways Scott was amazed at the lack of guards, of any personnel. Pausing in front of a heavy steel door he watched Kitty phase through it and a moment later it swung open easily.

“Glad I’m along?” she whispered as she hurried to catch up to Rogue who was currently marching down the hallway her long coat flapping behind her.

Opening his mouth to scream out a warning Cyke ducked at the sudden blinding movement from all three women as they turned to face their attacker. A moment later the floor was slippery with blood as the man lay gasping out his last breaths.

Stepping over the fallen man they continued down the hallway. Stopping before a locked, heavily secured door Cyke glanced at Wolverine who sniffed before nodding.

Rogue smirked slightly and nudged Logan back a step, “Ladies first.” She muttered quickly as her claws slid out and she buried them in the door. A moment later with a jerk the door itself came loose and she tossed it aside.

Shrugging at the look on the men’s faces she stepped into the room and looked around! The impersonal feel of the cell was nothing compared to the scars of violence from before.

“Storm!” Kitty phased through Rogue and hurried to the woman who curled around herself, her eyes a blank canvas. “Shit she’s icy cold.”

“Come on, we’ve got to get her outta here. They probably used Diacordine on her,” Jubilee glanced at Rogue. “What do you think?”

Rogue shifted, her instincts were screaming at her to get out and she nodded. “Lets get out of here.”

“Everyone out,” Wolverine ordered with a small glance at Rogue who was eyeing the corridor with disdain and doubt. The sound of an electronic beep had the team hurrying faster as Tank carried Storm over his shoulder.

Reaching their entry point, Wolverine dropped into a crouch and sniffed, “Guards.” He grunted.

“Streaks, your team can take Storm. We’ve some business to attend to,” Tank ground out shifting to ease Storm to the floor.

“Don’t get caught,” Streaks warned softly as she squeezed Wolverine’s shoulder a moment before picking Storm up with Jubilee’s help and easing out into the darkness.

“What’s going on,” Cyclops hissed as he watched Tank and Wolverine turn down their comm.-links. When Tank reached over and turned adjusted his volume he felt a bolt of fear.

“This was easy, but there’s a whole other level. One that Xavier and his stooges never touched. Not to mention a place they’d keep their high-risk captives. Storm unfortunately was either not as important or she was simply here for entertainment,” Wolverine growled. “The girls’ job was to get her out. Our job is to destroy the other level of this place.”

“Where is it?” Cyclops hissed.

“This way,” Turning Wolverine slid a claw into the nearest wall panel and ripped into it. Stepping through the destroyed panel opening he led the way down a set of stairs, his sensed telling him that there were more guards down here. Glancing at the others he smirked to himself, he wasn’t here because of Storm, or even any other mutant. There was a possibility that one of the guards that had been at the facility with Rogue, Jubilee, and Kitty transferred out. He wanted blood for what they’d done and he’d get it in the form of these men and women.


Finding those in the lower levels was easy. Four men and two women dressed in military camouflage stood around with semi-automatic rifles, uneasy in their faces as they watched the ceiling.

It was obvious that they’d heard the commotion upstairs but had orders not to leave their posts. Slinking into the shadows, the men separated, circling around the guards easily. Heading for the massive bank of screens and computers Scott kept one eye on Wolverine and Tank as they closed in on the six armed soldiers.

He had no doubt that they would all die and horribly. A part of him felt uneasy taking lives in such a way but then he thought back to what he’d endured at the hands of Frankenstein because of what Kitty had been forced to endure and knew that they deserved so much worse.

The crunch of bones was mixed with the sound of guns going off, the primal furious roar of Wolverine as he tore into them. Flinching when blood hit the console near him Scott merely focused harder on the screens. Catching the shadow of movement in one of the screens he whipped around and blasted the soldier who was stalking him, a deadly knife in one hand.

Turning back to his job he froze as he spotted a small monitor to a room. Hitting a few commands he brought he images onto all the cameras and felt his stomach roll.

“We’ve got captives,” he said low enough that the others would be able to hear without them being distracted. A moment later Wolverine was leaning over his shoulder staring at the screen a furious, disgusted snarl coming from him.

“Can’t leave them here,” Wolverine ground out, “Tank, and Cyclops retrieve them. I’ll stand guard.”

Nodding Scott all but jumped to his feet and hurried down the corridor toward the small, dingy little cell at the end of the corridor. He didn’t think, didn’t plan. Instead he followed Tank’s lead and merely blasted the door in such a way that it shattered the locks without destroying the heavy metal.

Stepping through the doorway he swallowed painfully at the sudden glare from three sets of eyes. Closing his eyes Scott felt the nausea and pain go bone deep even as he noticed Tank shudder next to him and a familiar look come into his eyes a moment before his training came into effect and he became stoic.

“We’re not here to hurt you,” Tank started. “We’ve come to take you home.”

“Home?” the voice was weak, doubt filled, and laced with pain.

“Yes,” Scott agreed. “Home.”




Securing Storm into her seat Rogue glanced at Kitty who was staring back the way they’d come. “They’ll come soon Kitster.”

“Shouldn’t have left them.”

“Did what we had to,” Jubilee said cranking the engine over on the van. Squinting she adjusted her optic piece and smirked, “Looks like they’re coming.”

“How can you tell it’s them?” Kitty worried.

“Wolverine’s metal laced body gives off a lot of heat, trust me it’s the boys.”

Rogue smiled and patted her on the shoulder. “Get into your seat Kitty. We’re gonna have to be ready to go as soon as they close the door.”

Securing their safety belts on, the women glanced at each other as they realized that the men were coming a bit slower than anticipated. Instead of a run they were walking, leading what appeared to be three young kids.

“Oh my God!” Jubilee gasped as she realized that they had found others. “They’re just kids.”

“Yeah,” Rogue glanced at Kitty who sat shaken, her face pale. Jerking herself out of her seatbelt she pulled open the door and smiled shakily at Logan who grunted and picked up a slim, living bone wrack of a girl who couldn’t be more than nine years old.

“Uh..” the girl started to tremble, fear darting into her eyes and soaking t he air around her.

“Relax, we’re the good guys,” Rogue said with a warm smile. “Come on, you can sit here.” Patting the seat she quickly had the girl and two boys that they’d brought out secured.

Turning she met Tank’s gaze as he shifted a bundle in his arms and saw the rage boiling there, “Did you get them?” she whispered to Logan who merely nodded and glanced away. The blood that soaked his shirt and jeans told her better than words just what had happened and she smiled tightly before taking the bundle and securing it in her lap.

Opening the blanket slightly she stared down into a cherub face, marred by bruises, maltreatment, and hunger. Rocking the toddler gently she felt the chill of her rage sink a little more into her soul.

“You’re safe now,” she whispered softly as Jubilee hit the gas sending the truck hurtling forward in the darkness. A few hours from now they’d be at a safe house and would be switching vehicles. By dusk tomorrow night the kids would be safe at Monster House and they could plan their next line of attack.