Hanging up the phone Charles moved to the window and stared out. Rage warred with sorrow as he listened intently to the sounds of laughter outside his window. Shifting uneasily he glanced at the desk before returning his attention to his vigil.

“If you think you’re gonna break Frankenstein you got another think acomin’.” Logan growled. “Next time you send a freak up here we’ll send them back in a bag, a very small bag.

“Judging by the shape Iceman was in when we retrieved them I’d say I should be the one issuing warnings Logan. You had no call to go and….”

“No right? Yeah tell it to someone who might actually give a rats fuckin’ ass. You sent him up here to test the waters huh? Figure oh they’re just trash, just used and abused objects that the army got tired of. Wrong, they’re real, live women. You’ve done some shitty things X but this one takes the cake.”

“I have no idea of what you are speaking?”

Harsh, bitter laughter drifted over the phone line, “Sure. Like you didn’t send Iceman and his new friend up here to rape one of ‘em. You can deny it until hell freezes over but I’m gonna tell you right now. What happened to that little fucker was what he had coming, and next time he’s gonna get worse. Next time I’ll be there, and I won’t be so nice.”

“Nice? Having broken glass inserted into his anus is hardly nice. Oh well I guess for you it would be considered a pleasantry.”

“It is. But I wasn’t there, that was Frankenstein in all her furious glory. See she’s not exactly the dumb monster you were thinkin’.” Logan paused a moment, “I’m assuming you didn’t follow the instructions we sent back with Iceman when we had a gentlemanly spar. If you had you’d never have authorized this… but then you don’t give a shit anyway so what difference does it make? You wanted a war, you got it.” The click of the receiver was loud, telling Charles that Logan had slammed the phone down in fury.

Now Charles had to reassess the situation, reassess Iceman’s loyalties. For him to do something as vile as follow in the military’s footsteps with one of their own was beyond reproach. Although he had his doubts about Logan, he’d never known the man to make an accusation such as this without just cause. Even when it concerned Rogue, Logan had never reacted so maliciously, instead he’d followed his usual threaten, beat, mangle routine. There had been no accusing, no taunting.

With a soft sigh Charles opened his mind, *Hank could you come to my office please?*

A few moments later he glanced up as Hank stepped into the office, “Yes Charles?”

“As Robert’s treating physician um I realize you can’t reveal a great deal of details but would you be able to answer some questions for me?”

“As you said I can’t reveal details but I will tell you what I can.”

“How bad is Robert injured?”

“Well he’s not going to be sitting any time soon. He’s remarkably healthy, remarkably whole all things considered. He has some severe abrasions, cuts, bruises nothing life threatening thankfully.”

“When you saw him upon his return to the mansion was there any indication of sexual activities?”

“Yes, I found secretions in his pubic hair, as well as indications that he’d used a anti-ejaculation device.”

Charles nodded slowly, “Have you spoken to Warlok?”

“No sir.”

“Thank you,” Charles smiled tightly. “Are they both in the med-lab or have you given them…”

“I’ve got them both in the med-lab.”

“Professor?” Storm’s concerned face appeared in the doorway, “There’s something here for you?”

“What is it?” Charles moved toward her just as a delivery man rolled a long, narrow wooden box into the room and set it down. After signing for it, Charles took the envelope off it and opened it.

“What is it?” Hank asked quickly noting the sudden paler in Charles’s face.

“A coffin,” Charles replied softly.

“What do you mean a coffin? Whose?”

Charles shook his head and handed the page over to Hank.

Glancing down at it, Hank glanced at Storm. “Sir they’re just playing with your head. I’m sure that it’s not serious.”

Charles glanced at them then shrugged, “Perhaps. I will speak with Mr. Drake and Warlok shortly. Until then please keep this quiet.”

“Of course sir.”

Staring at the box Charles shuddered, Iceman and Warlok had no idea what they’d disturbed. Now it was up to him, up to his most experienced team members to repair the damage.



Thanking his luck that the hallways were indeed empty Charles made his way down to the medlab. Rolling through the doors he found Iceman laying face down on his gurney and Warlok up pacing around.

“Evening Professor,” Iceman said eying him carefully.

“I wish to speak to both of you,” Charles stated coldly. “It has been brought to my attention that you deviated from the set parameters of the mission I gave you.”

“Well sir, it was…”

“Silence,” Charles snarled. “You have endangered the lives of countless children with your stupidity. Have you no idea what you did? Are you so blind? So foolish that you can’t see what’s in front of your face?”

“What do you mean?” Warlok asked softly.

“I got a phone call a while ago. A declaration of all out war from Logan and this Frankenstein organization. They made it abundantly clear that they would not hesitate to come back here and take prisoners. I will not risk the lives of countless children just because the pair of you wanted to get your genitals wet!”

“But sir..”

“If you weren’t necessary to keeping this school safe I would report you both to the appropriate authorities. However, I have no choice but to allow you to remain here. Under no condition from here on out until the girls are safely back here are you to socialize with anyone of the opposite sex. I will not permit your behavior to carry over here!”

“But sir..”

“But nothing, I am not about to have another coffin delivered to my office! You have both signed your death warrants and I am not entirely certain that I can contain Wolverine and his team if they happen upon you. Have I made myself clear?”

“Very.” Iceman replied stiffly. “But it’s not like it was any loss? She was askin’ for it.”

Charles glared at him, “You threatened her safety, she wouldn’t have run. Now I have no doubt that we will be getting a visit from them at some point and I fully intend to be prepared. Upon leaving here, you’re confined to base.”

Turning Charles rolled out of the medlab, ignoring the rage that simmered in both young men. He had other, bigger things to deal with – like settling Wolverine and his team down enough to talk peace. He didn’t doubt that he could defeat him, that he could win this war, but to do that he needed to have the girls on his side.

Right now, his side wasn’t looking to good even to him!