Chapter 3

The Frankenstein Effect
Shadowlady
robbijo2000 at yahoo dot com
R
Drama/Dark
Archive: Yes please, pretty please.
Summary: The X-men have created a monster they can’t defeat.
Continuity: Post X3



“And what the fuck were you thinking?” the low, lethal tone had everyone shifting uneasily as they stared at the man currently glaring at Charles Xavier like he was looking to skewer him – something they all thought a very distinct possibility.

“It was a simple pick up,” Charles started. “One we knew would take a few weeks before the girls would be able to build a connection with the young man. They had to earn his trust since he’s been on the street so long is so distrustful.”

“You ain’t listening Chuck, what the fuck were you thinking? You knew it was gonna take weeks, knew the area was a hot house for mutant collectors and yet you still sent them in? You lose what little mind you did have or something?”

Swallowing slightly Charles wondered just how collected Logan was as he stared at him, shifting he hid his fear as best he could, he wasn’t dealing with Logan the man he was looking at Wolverine and that meant a whole new ballgame with new rules, “It was a simple mission Logan. They should have been able to perform it perfectly before returning with the target. Its merely taking longer for them to return then anticipated.”

“Thirteen months is a long fuckin’ way from a few weeks,” Logan snarled his claws coming out. “You better pinpoint one of ‘em, and get me directions or you and your band of merry little freaks are gonna be suckin’ up their dinners through a straw – or wishing I was that easy on ‘em,” Logan snarled whipping around, slashing three deep gouges into the old cherry wood desk as he headed for the door. “You got two hours old man, don’t waste it.”

“Logan you have to understand this wasn’t planned, we didn’t…” Jean started only to swallow painfully as Logan altered his course and moved into her personal space.

“This wasn’t planned? You sent three girls out there to do a job better suited to one person… one trained professional.”

“The risks were weighed Logan, we had to do something and they were acceptable to us,” Jean replied firmly, a tremble barely noticeable in her body.

“Yeah,” with the sickening screech of metal grating on metal Jean jumped, one hand flying to her face where a fresh, nasty wound now decorated her cheek, “I weighed the risks bitch, and it was acceptable. Two hours old man, or I’m gonna be back and start carving up your precious little team!”

The slam of the door echoed in the room as the pictures wiggled from the force of Logan’s rage.

“That went well,” Jean sighed softly as she glanced at Charles, “You haven’t located them in..”

“Since a week after they got there,” Charles admitted quietly, “It’s been too long.”

“It was a high risk mission and yet you still authorized them to go,” Scott pointed out calmly. “Didn’t think Logan was coming back or what?”

“It was a simple matter of a delayed pick up Scott,” Charles said firmly.

“Yeah? Now we have to deal with Logan in his full on protective mode. I’m not getting skewered because you lost them. Frankly, I’m on Logan’s side on this,” Rising Scott glanced between his wife and his mentor, “They weren’t fully trained, nor were they prepared for this sort of mission and I made that clear before you guys vetoed me and sent them. Now if you don’t mind, I’m gonna go and see if I can calm Logan down enough that he doesn’t aerate the entire student population!”

Watching him go Charles sighed, it was true. Scott hadn’t approved of sending Rogue, Jubilation, and Shadowcat on this mission – at least alone but Charles knew it was necessary. Glancing up at his protégé he sighed, ~We may have underestimated Logan again Jean.~

~We didn’t think he would come back for her,~ Jean replied softly, seriously, ~We had no way of knowing this would happen.~

“I’ll go see if I can locate them again,” Charles said moving for the door, “Try to avoid Logan as much as possible.”

With muted sounds of agreement the team disbanded, heading for points of the mansion that they knew Logan didn’t frequent.

Sharing a glance Charles and Jean tried to hide the rising fear; after all they’d both known the risks and still sent the girls. If they weren’t okay how would Logan react? Who would pay the price for their stupidity?




Wrapped in the yards of black silk that weighed heavy upon her shoulders Helen moved through the darkness toward the kitchen, intent on a late night snack. Silently debating whether to have a large piece of the chocolate cake or another round of shortbread cookies she smiled to herself.

Pausing at a faint sound coming from the kitchen she hurried her steps and entered the room silently, her hands free of the fabric in case she needed to extend her claws. Stopping as she realized the fridge door was open and Streaks stood albeit weakly leaning against it she hid a smile, “We usually allow people in the sickbay to have someone bring them a plate.”

The slight shrug was the only response as a bony, scarred hand set a plate with some roast beef on it atop the counter. The meat was quickly followed by a block of cheese, some lettuce, the makings of a sandwich and Helen smirked as she leaned against the doorjamb.

Watching in silence as the girl made herself something to eat Helen reached into the nearest cupboard and pulled out a couple of glasses. Filling both with milk she set one next to Streaks plate and grabbed the slice of cake she had decided upon.

“So you must be feeling better to be up,” Helen declared after sucking the icing off the fork tines.

“No more hiding,” the girl whispered. “I need to be strong, need to protect him.”

Helen nodded, “Logan would welcome that I think.”

The flash of fury and doubt in the girl’s eyes had Helen chuckling, “I know Logan. I’ve known him longer than you have.”

“Don’t care. No more hurting him,” Rogue hissed angrily, despising the weakness within her body. “Where’s my friends?”

“Your friends are in their beds, sleeping probably. It’s nearly two in the morning Streaks, they’ve been busy.”

“I’ll bet,” Rogue snarled angrily. “Soon I’ll be strong enough and you won’t be able…”

“They’re healing Streaks, this isn’t a lab.”

The softly spoken words halted Rogue’s tirade as she glanced into warm, understanding hazel eyes that met hers without flinching, “He’ll never want me now,” she whispered looking down at her hands, memories of what lay under the skin still vivid within her mind as her dark eyes traced over the scars.

“You sound certain of that,” Helen replied. “Tell me about him. Tell me about you and him.”

Rogue shrugged, for some reason this woman wanted her to relax, wanted her to put her faith in her and she wasn’t too sure she could do that. Could she lower her guard enough to allow herself the reveal him? Glancing up into eyes that reminded her of a man she loved beyond reason she shrugged to herself, she had no choice really – besides that this woman made her feel at ease, not as much as Logan did but enough so that she didn’t want to kill her.

“I met him when I was sixteen,” Rogue started softly, “In a little dive in Alberta. Logan was fighting in a cage, winning to…”

The chime of the grandfather clock down the hall barely penetrated the soft conversation in the kitchen as it marked the early hour. The window above the kitchen sink began to reveal the pale glow of early dawn, and the soft sounds of life began filtering through out the only floor above ground, yet neither Helen nor Rogue moved.

“He promised me,” Rogue whispered glancing up tearfully, “He said he’d be back for them and..”

“And he came back,” Helen nodded slowly, reaching over to wrap a silk encased hand around the young woman’s. “Logan isn’t one for promises, if you’ve seen his mind you know this and yet he made one to you and he kept it. That in itself was sign that he doesn’t see you as just another bed warmer. He sees something in you that no one could possibly take away from him. Even when he was younger, when he was little Logan wasn’t one for flowery speeches and promises that couldn’t be kept. He promised to take care of you and that is what he will do… even if killed him, but it won’t. He won’t let death cheat him of you so easily.”

“I’ve got a long way to go don’t I?”

“Miles but you know, you aren’t alone anymore, you’ve got friends here, you’ve got all the help you need and then some. Let us help you.”

“How’s Kitty and Jubes?” Rogue whispered painfully. “I can remember hearing them screaming and crying, and begging.”

“They weren’t okay when they got here. They had it pretty rough; those places aren’t easy on those of us who are different. They’re doing okay now though, they’re leaning on each other, and both of them are leaning on Tank.”

“Why did you do this? Why help us?”

Helen shifted and glanced up and out the window as she tried to organize her thoughts, “Because I can relate to you. Because we’re…. we’re not monsters Streaks, we’re no better, no worse than the humans – but we have to show them that we aren’t going to let them drive us into extinction, turn us into weapons, into mindless killing machines for their causes.”

Rogue stared at her for a moment catching the hint of something within the woman’s eyes, something that told of a memory a little too close to home, “We just want to live.”

Helen nodded, “Come on, it’s time you were back in bed. You’re still recovering and being up all night your body’s probably about to protest big time. I’ll help you..”

“Do I have to go back to the sickbay? Couldn’t I like sleep on a couch or something?”

“Sickbay for now. You’re still dealing with traces of the drugs they pumped into you and it’s the safest place for you,” Helen said wrapping a strong arm around the girl’s waist, “A few more days and you can have your own room.”

Rogue nodded tiredly as they shuffled out of the kitchen. Staring at her feet even when she heard someone coming she flushed and ducked her head, embarrassment racing through her.

“Good morning Mrs. Creed,” the soft, lilting voice drew a murmured response but no other indication of any delay in their movements.

“Mrs. Creed?” Rogue whispered softly, “Not related to Victor are you?”

Laughing softly Helen shook her head, “I was married to a Creed years ago, and Victor is a distant relative.”

“How distant?”

“He’s the son of my great, great, great, great, grandnephew.”

“Wow that is distant.”

Chuckling Helen guided Streaks back along the corridor and into elevator before pushing the buttons and letting the soft glide of well oiled mechanics fall through her mind, “Was never distant enough for Logan though. He’s always hated that over-grown, mangy rat.”

“I can understand why,” Rogue replied as she inched toward her hospital bed glad to be able to get off her feet, for some reason this flurry of activity had really worn her out. Once she was tucked back into bed, she sighed, her eyes already drifting closed, “Thank you.”

Helen paused at the door and glanced at the girl who lay dozing in the bed, “You are very welcome…Rogue.”

The soft smile on the girl’s face stuck with Helen as she slipped from the room and closed the door. Leaning on the wall for a moment she exhaled, she needed time but Rogue would be okay.