The annoying sound of dripping water and softly hidden tears woke Rogue without hesitation. Slipping from Logan’s grasp she padded out into the hall and down to a door that remained closed to everyone.

A soft knock and she slipped inside to see Kitty sitting on the bed, naked and rocking her arms wrapped tightly around herself.

“Kitster? You okay?” Rogue approached the bed slowly, knowing Kitty could and would strike out if startled.

Kitty merely shook her head and cried harder, trying to bury her tears, her misery in her hands, her hair. She hurt in places she hadn’t hurt in a long time, she ached for a touch that wasn’t there. Glancing at Rogue who stood in the pale light from the bathroom she shook her head and waved at the door.

The other woman wouldn’t understand, she had what she wanted, no one understood.

“You miss him don’t you?” Rogue sank down onto the bed and stared at her friend who shook with her sobs. “You can tell me, I won’t tell anyone. I swear it.”

“I thought I had it under control,” Kitty whispered tearfully, “I thought with him gone I wouldn’t need his touch, need to feel the way he made me feel. And it worked Rogue, it worked for a while until last night. Until I was this close to him,” she held up her fingers pinched together. “I could touch him; I was so close I could smell his cologne, and it hurts. I ache.”

“Where?” Rogue whispered softly, if her friend was in pain… flushing as Kitty gestured at her lap Rogue shifted, “I’ll get Tank.”

“NO!” Kitty grabbed Rogue’s gloved hand. “Please, I know why I hurt.”

“Why? Kitty what did you do?” Rogue gaped at her friend even as the other girl’s gaze darted to her bedside table where a small dildo sat. “Kitty don’t tell me you..”

Kitty nodded miserably, “I thought I could ease the ache, the want only it didn’t work.”

Pulling her friend closer Rogue held her while she cried, “It’s gonna be okay Kitty, I promise.”

“How? We’re beneath them, Jean hates us.”

With a shrug Rogue sighed, “I don’t know, but Scott cared about us at one time. We showed them that we weren’t like them when you sent him back to her.”

“He said…he said..” Kitty hiccupped and shifted snuggling closer to Rogue until her head was in the other girl’s lap. “He said I was stronger than them, that he wasn’t the enemy. Rogue I don’t want to be like her, I don’t..”

“Shh,” Rogue glanced up at a slight noise and recognized Logan’s frame. “You aren’t. We aren’t.”
With a barely perceptible nod Logan turned and walked away. He could still hear Kitty and Rogue and would be there to help them if the need arose but he would keep his distance for a moment.

“What do we do?”

Running her fingers through Kitty’s short dark hair Rogue stared out the window, “We go back. We face them, we show them we’re not weak, show them we’re stronger than they ever believed we could be!”

“I still want him.”

Rogue smirked slightly, “Then we take him. If you want him, if you need him then we’ll take him back.”

“I don’t want a prisoner..”

“I don’t think he will be one,” Rogue whispered even as Kitty’s breathing evened out and she slid into a restful sleep. “Something tells me Scott Summers is about to step over to our side!”


Pouring a fresh cup of coffee Logan stared out the window as he listened to Rogue moving around behind him. When she closed the fridge door and settled at the table he glanced over to smile at her warmly before returning to his vigil.

“Would you take us to New York?” Rogue asked softly, her gaze on her own coffee cup.

“When?” Logan asked softly, he knew Kitty suffered and this might be just what it took to push her over the edge.

“Tomorrow,” Rogue glanced up at him. “No more hiding Logan. We need to do this?”

“Going for war?”

“Only if you’re coming with us,” Rogue smiled softly at him.

“Let’s go teach them what happens to the disposable people,” Logan replied moving over to set down next to her. Reaching out he cupped her jaw he stared at her for a moment, “We’re stronger now then we were darlin’, and we’re not going into this blind. I’ll be damned if I’m gonna let ‘em hurt any of you again.”

“I know,” Rogue nodded and smirked. “Let’s go aerate a doctor, and her boss.”

Chuckling Logan leaned over and kissed her gently, pulling away just as her mutation kicked in. Sitting back in his chair he saw the sparkle in her eyes and knew, someone was going to pay dearly for the scars that they trio carried upon their souls.