Rubbing his eyes Scott groaned at the pounding in his head as he glanced around, unsure where they’d taken him. Spotting a familiar landmark he frowned and blinked, hoping to clear his vision.

“The mansion,” he breathed before glancing around uneasily. Something told him he wasn’t dreaming that he was back at home but why? What good would come from releasing him?

Reaching up he touched his face to find a pair of shades over his eyes. Using his fingers he blinked, they weren’t the usual shades he wore; in fact they seemed to be just drugstore type glasses.

Jerking them off without thinking he stared at them, a red haze covered everything like it normally did but he wasn’t blowing holes in anything. Shocked he grabbed for his throat only to find it bare, the collar he’d grown accustomed to absent.

Glancing down he noted he was wearing the same scrubs he’d had while imprisoned, a pair of flip-flops decorated his feet, and that was the extent of his attire. Shaking in his head Scott started for the gate, Jean would be able to tell him what they’d done, why he didn’t need his visor or glasses.



The sound of the front door opening drew Bobby’s attention from the quiet television and he rose to check it out. Freezing in the doorway he stared at the rather rumpled, battered appearance of the team leader. Gone was the usual impeccable style of the older man, in its stead was a gaunt, tired shell that he barely recognized.

“Mr. Summers, you’re home!”

“Uh yeah,” Scott glanced around uneasily. “Where is everyone?”

“Downstairs. They’re getting ready for another mission.”

“Why are you up here then? Aren’t you on the team?”

“Of course,” Bobby moved carefully, obviously Scott had suffered a great deal of trauma if his memory was affected, “Its just that I’ve had pneumonia and Jeee uh Dr. Grey said not to go on this one.”

Shaking his head Scott barely glanced at Bobby at the slip of his tongue and the flush and guilty look that accompanied it. Instead he turned his attention to the room looking around uneasily before heading for the elevator. He wouldn’t put it passed the team to forget someone on the battlefield if they thought they had to.


“If Storm gives us cover we should be able to get in from the east side of the facility,” Jean’s voice was strong, clear as Scott approached the meeting room.

“Beast you take your team low, our sources indicate that there are at least four mutants there.”

“Affirmative.”

Stepping into the doorway Scott assessed the room quickly, Jean wore her new ‘leader’s’ hat well if the picture of solidarity was anything to go by. Storm, Beast, and two others Scott hadn’t seen before sat around the table, obviously planning an attack on a facility.

“Don’t waste your time,” Scott snapped as he recognized something on the table. Something that haunted him even as he tried to bury the memory. “You couldn’t get past the gate.”

“Scott!” Jean whipped around to stare at him, “What are you...Oh my God are you okay? Thank God you escaped.”

“I didn’t,” Scott stepped back when she went to hug him, unable to bear the thought of being touched. Staring at her he shuddered; Kitty’s rage and loathing firmly entrenched within his mind. He had no doubt that Jean could be manipulative, he’d witnessed it but would she purposely set the girls up? Only time would tell. “Don’t, just don’t touch me.”

“But Scott…”

“You look a tad under the weather my friend; perhaps I should have a look at you. What happened to your eyes?”

“I’m not sure. I’ve had a suppression collar on for a long time, could be that the effects haven’t worn off yet.”

“I’ll get you a visor just in case,” Jean muttered hurrying to grab one for him, shock clearly evident in her face, in her voice.

“Thank you,” taking it Scott put it on and glanced around. “I’m gonna have a shower, and grab something to eat. If I were you, I’d forget about hitting that place.”

“Why? Were you held there? Perhaps you could tell us the security…”

“No, no I wasn’t held there. They rescued me. It’s run by mutants, for mutants. You hit it, you’re asking to get killed,” Scott replied sharply at the query from the strange woman sitting watching the situation. Her blonde hair was cut in a short, boyish style, her eyes were piercing, and she wore a gauntlet much like the one Kitty had worn once, the last night they spent together to be exact.

Meeting her eyes he recognized the smirk, the recognition that was there and swallowed. Whoever the woman was she was part of the Creed Inc. organization and thus was twice as dangerous.

“Good answer,” she drawled rising along with her male counterpart who eyed Scott for a moment before rubbing his temple carefully.

Blinking behind his visor Scott recognized the movement; it was one that he’d seen before, one that matched the smirked expression on the man’s face.

“If we’re not going to hit it for tonight, perhaps we should all get some rest. After all if our intel is inaccurate there is no sense in going,” Storm stated rising smoothly.

“Wise choice,” Scott grumbled beneath his breath even as he stared at the two strangers.

“I’ll get you some clothes,” Jean stated and hurried from the room, followed by Storm who merely glanced at him appraisingly before slipping soundlessly from the room.

After a moment Beast sighed, “Well I shall retire to my lab. If you would like for me to check you over, by all means please summon me.”

Once he was gone the pair smirked at Scott and walked right up to him, “Really good answer Scott saved you from getting your throat cut. Here’s a little message for you, this isn’t over. You may think you’re free of Frankenstein,” the woman whispered softly, “But the truth is, they’re watching you. They’re waiting, planning, and someday they’re gonna come back for you. Oh and your eyes don’t work anymore, they won’t work for a while.”

“Why?”

“Tank’s pretty good at making big things small,” the man stated calmly, “Those shots he gave to your temples implanted suppression chips. They’re invisible to detection, and if you try to remove them they’ll explode taking your head with them.”

“You dropped me off didn’t you?”

“No,” the man shook his head and grinned, “My brother Logan did, we’re only here for the night before we disappear like good little spies should. Have a good sleep, you uh…” he chuckled evilly, “Might want to fuck your wife tonight… that is if you can get it up!”

Laughing softly the pair slipped past Scott and out into the hallway mere moments before Jean showed up with a stack of clothes.

“I’m so glad you’re back. I got your visor and wedding ring and they were covered in blood and I thought,” Jean started hurried.

“I’m really tired Jean. It’s been a long day for me. I think I’m just gonna go have a shower and go to bed,” Scott muttered and walked away, leaving Jean standing in the room alone, her mouth hanging open and shock and horror in her eyes.

He knew he’d have to make up some explanation but he just didn’t have the energy for it at the moment, not until he’d had a chance to think. Right now though he just needed to sleep, needed to forget about the hell he’d witnessed, the misery he’d endured, and the guilt that clung to him knowing that three innocent girls had been twisted into embittered, hardened women because he’d refused to stand up for them more vehemently.