Cracking his neck Logan watched as Scott slumped against the wall, the sedatives taking affect as soon as Tank stepped away from the man. The soft, easy way he breathed told Logan that the drug had no ill-effects, not that he particularly cared but Kitty did.

This release was her way of reclaiming her humanity, her identity as it was separate from the X-men, the cause, the world. Standing stoically silent as Logan hefted Scott over a shoulder the young woman watched until both men had disappeared down the hallway and into the elevator before glancing at her two friends who stood next to her.

“Anyone up for something to eat?” Kitty asked brightly, a tad too brightly if the girls’ exchanged looks were anything to go by.

“Kitty its okay to feel something for him. You had him a long time,” Jubilee said softly, taking her hand with a smile.

“This isn’t about what I feel for him. This is about what I need, I needed to do this Jubes. He doesn’t understand fully yet but he will.”

“What are you talking about?” Rogue asked.

“Jean’s gonna read his mind,” Kitty glanced between the two women, “You think she’s really going to be overjoyed to know that he fucked me? He’ll be lucky if she lets him touch her by next year!”

“Is that why you did it?”

Kitty paused and shook her head, “No. I needed to prove to myself that I could enjoy it, that it wasn’t all about pain and suffering. I did that, he was of no more use to me.”

Rogue glanced at Kitty then at Jubilee, “Logan wants to head west,” she stated quietly, calmly as they walked down the hallway. “Set up our own place. We’d still work with Helen and her people but we’d have our own space. Granted it wouldn’t be anything grand like here or even at Xavier’s but we’d be able to move freely. Besides, it’d give us a chance to have some security, and plan out how we’re gonna get our closure from Xavier.”

Jubilee nodded slightly, “But what about Tank? I don’t want to leave him behind.”

“Tank already talked to Logan. With three other doctors here he thinks he could manage to come with us. He’d be invaluable to us, and he’s not really fond of you leaving either.”

“Or you could stay here?” Kitty suggested quietly.

Jubilee shook her head firmly, “As great as this place is, as fantastic as these people may be I’m not really comfortable here. Too much like Xavier’s.”

Nodding their understanding the trio smirked, “So let’s get out a map and take a look around. See what we can find for a place of our own then we can tell Logan where we want to go when we’re ready.”

Chuckling the trio headed for Tank’s office to check over the maps he had and make a decision on where to move to. None of them were willing to stay, there were too many people, and too many reminders of how many knew what had happened to them.

In time they’d be comfortable within their own skins, but for the moment they needed space. Besides, they all knew that they needed to stand on their own, to train as one, to build their team into a fighting machine capable to destroying anything and everything they encountered and they couldn’t do that here.

Resolved to their fate they were engrossed within their plans when the door opened silently and a familiar figure wrapped in leather and denim smiled slightly.

“I heard you three were planning something,” Helen’s gentle voice had the trio glancing up.

“Uh yeah, Logan made a suggestion..”

Helen waved off Rogue’s statement, “I know what Logan wants Rogue. He’s thinking about heading west again isn’t he? He doesn’t want to be here, to be so close to the enemy.”

“He doesn’t think of you as the enemy. He still doesn’t get why you’re so touchy feely with him and I’ve given up explaining it but it ain’t you guys.”

“I know. This place is too close to New York. Too close to those he blames for your wounds. I don’t blame him. I wouldn’t want to be this close to the enemy if I could avoid it myself.”

“We owe you for your help,” Jubilee straightened.

Laughing softly Helen shook her head and sat down on the only couch in the room, “No you don’t. You three brought my son home, you’ve given me a chance to see him, to speak with him, to know him again…I’d say any debt real or imagined is taken care of a hundred times over.”

“But don’t you want him to stay close? I mean he’s…”

“A grown man Rogue one who’s been on his own for a long time. I can’t will him back into being my little boy again.”

“Um how old is he?” Rogue asked her expression curious.

Helen grinned, “Old enough to know better and still too young to care.”

“That doesn’t answer my question.”

“No, it doesn’t,” Helen agreed, “But it’s an answer I can’t give you. It would hardly be fair to know Logan’s age when he himself doesn’t know it. I won’t risk alienating him from myself or from you because of that.”

“Would you tell him?”

“I don’t have to,” Helen stated calmly, “He knows it, and it’s just buried in the back of his mind.”

“Typical mother response,” Jubilee giggled softly, “So you aren’t mad?”

Helen laughed gently, “No Jubilation I’m not mad. I’m happy for the four of you, er five I guess. Tank told me he’s planning on moving on, going with you.”

“Sorry to be taking a doctor from you.”

“Don’t be,” Helen smirked at Jubilee, “I’m glad he’s found someone he cares so much about. Besides that, I’m not entirely sure he’s aware of how much work he’s getting himself into.”

Laughing the four women let the vague tensions fade away, aware that their time as a group would be limited until Logan got back.