Author's Chapter Notes:
This was supposed to be a one-shot. I swear.
You learn soon that lollypops and beer don’t mix. Sweet cherry turns to sticky bitterness at the back of your throat and you need whiskey to get rid of it. Whiskey on the other hand seems to work just fine with cherry, and you discard your beer and order a whole bottle of Jack Daniels. Take it, and suffer curious glances directed at you when you dig yet another lollypop from your pocket and clunk it to a glass of booze to soak up. They can go screw themselves for all you care. It has been over a month since you’re last seen her, and you’re living on candies and ice cream, sugar rush overriding even the slight buzz you get from slugging back Jack and Molsons.

A woman sits next to you, reaching for the lolly, Picks it and sucks it in her mouth, dark red lipstick smearing the crisp white plastic of the stick. She pops the lolly out of her mouth, tongue swirling over the glistening treat and lets her eyes roam over your features, batting her lashes suggestively. You turn your back at her and throw back the now cherry-flavored whiskey. When she puts her hand on your shoulder you shrug it off. It’s time to go. Time to go home.

On your way back to Xavier’s you stop to replenish your stock of lollypops. The man behind the counter of a small corner store takes your money and hands you your change, small smile on his tired face.
“Sweet-tooth itching?” He asks. You don’t answer; just grab the small paper bag filled with candy and walk out.

At home you put the bag on the small table beside your bed, spot usually reserved for ashtray and cigars. Take a quick shower. Lie down, peel off the plastic wrapper from one red orb and inhale the scent of sugar and cherry. Close your eyes and try not to think about how you walked with her down that isle. Try not to think about the look on Bobby’s face when you reluctantly offered her hand to him. Try not to think about what she’s doing right now with her husband. And keep hoping that she’s still able to blush when she gets back from her honeymoon. Pop the lolly in your mouth and nearly choke on it when the door of your room opens.

“When did you get back?” You ask from the girl standing at your doorstep. She shrugs her shoulders, walks to you, sits on the edge of the bed and grabs the white plastic stick of the lollypop, pulling it out from your mouth and sucking it between her lips. There’s a sullen look on her face.
“Bobby said that he hates cherry. Wouldn’t let me buy any candy during the whole fucking month.”
“Asshole.”
“Yeah. Well, just came to say hi. See you tomorrow?” She asks and you nod. She pulls the lolly from her mouth and pushes it back between your lips.

After the door closes behind her you lay there, tasting the cherry and her, floating in blissful slumber from the sight of the rosy hue on her cheeks when she turned to bid you good night before she left.