They found what they were looking for from a small museum next to the town hall. History of the mine, and the corporation that owned it. Including several, curious looking stone items that were found when an older part of the mine had been re-opened. They were waiting in the back room for to be cleaned up and put on to display in the museum among rest of the knickknacks relating with the mine.

“Those are ugly as hell…” The girl whispered staring at five small figurines perched atop of a table. Each and every one of them reminded distantly an animal. Very stylished animals with another animal serving as a tongue in their gaping maws.
“These must be the things Frank told us about. The stuff they found from down that mine…” Logan murmured, reaching towards the figures. Marie grabbed his wrist.
“Don’t… They feel… They feel disgusting…” He heard her whispering. Then his fingers brushed against a figure representing a coyote, and he wasn’t so sure anymore of what he had heard. Or what she had said. It felt old. Old and brittle. Slimy and dry, scratching the inside of his skull with blunt nails, making his brain hurt and his gut twist and turn, and at the same time he felt his cock growing harder, so hard and big that it actually hurt, and small whispers tried to suggest him the best ways to erase that hurt. Whispers of how he could throw down the girl and ride her long and hard, tear her open with his pole and plant his seed, just take the Can Toi, take the damn Can Toi and she’d be yours, yours alone to do as you please, rolling and rutting like animals out on the desert, crushing her under you, licking and sucking her breasts maybe bite them yes bite them bite her and hurt her and fuck her and…
“TAK!” He screamed the only word that came to his mind and shoved himself and the girl further from the desk, away from the figurines. The desk toppled over and two of the figurines broke, crushing to small pieces, spreading over the floor, but they didn’t stay and watch. He grabbed the girl’s hand and they ran from the back room to the grand hall where more harmless pieces of history hung neatly in their glass cubicles.

The girl was writhing and gagging, rubbing her palms against her thighs as if she was trying to clean her hands from some indescribable substance. He felt like throwing up. The gut busting need to fuck her had been replaced with nausea as soon as he pushed away from the figurine; breaking the spell they had fallen under.
“What… What the hell was that?” Marie asked, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand. They had been kissing. Yes. Kissing, teeth gnashing together. He could still taste the blood from the wound she had bit on his lip. But there had been more. He was buttoning his jeans. At some point she had torn them open. Finally he managed to tuck his still erect cock behind the fly.
“I have no idea. Oh, God… You felt it too?” He asked, leaning forward, bracing his palms against his knees.
“I… I wanted to fuck you. Or… Not you. You, but you as one of those figurines. A… Can Toi?”
“But it was not just fucking, was it…” Logan grunted, breathing deeply, trying to force back the bile that had risen to the back of his throat.
“No… I wanted you inside of me. Not just your dick. All of you. Inside of me. To make us like those figurines.”
“Okay… I have a plan. And I think it’s a damn good plan. Lets stay the hell away from those figurines from now on. Not that I would think that you’d be a bad lay, I’d just prefer us both to be in one piece after it’s over…”
“Agreed. How about we try to find something about that mine from here. Since it’s quite clear that what ever we’re up against originates from there. From that old shaft they opened just few days ago,” the girl proposed.

They started walking from display to another. Old and brittle mining gear filled the glass cabinets. Nothing much to see if you weren’t perversely interested about knapsacks and pickaxes, but then they hit the jackpot. A small, darkened room. When they walked in they could hear something clicking, locking in to place, and bright beam of light shot from above the doorway to the back wall of the room. It took them a while to realize that this wasn’t an attack. They were about to see a slide show of sorts.

Black and white pictures, short scraps of film filmed obviously with a hand held camera and black and white boxes of dialogue were glued together, and they formed the story of the most infamous part of the mine. The China Men’s Path.

Pictures flickered over the wall, revealing the horrendous treatment of Chinese workers. How they were practically slaves for the company. White foremen carried weapons and whips, and apparently used them for even the slightest of reasons.
“That was pretty common at that time…” Logan whispered. Marie could only stare the events folding out. Camera panned around the camp, then followed a group of workers down to the shaft, along narrow corridor, behind a wagon that workers started to fill with loose rock as soon as it stopped. Camera slid past the workers, all the way to the back wall of the shaft, finding two men who were whacking their way through the stone with pickaxes. Suddenly they stopped. There was a small opening in front of them, leading to a larger cave. One of the men peered in to the cave, then suddenly jolted backwards as if he had gotten stung, raising his pickaxe and sinking it to the skull of his co-worker. From there it all went downhill. Few men working in the mine stumbled in to the cave, coming out from there with their arms full of small, grey lumps. When camera zoomed closer Logan recognized the figurines he had seen in the backroom. Workers were carrying them around, rubbing themselves with those figurines, beating each others with them, throwing them to everywhere in the shaft and attacking each others like crazed animals. Camera retreated from the scene fast, leaving insane crowd and returned back outside where foremen were already waiting, several cases of dynamite loaded to the opening of the shaft. Fuses were lit, and dynamite exploded, burying the shaft, crazed workers and the figurines under tons of rocks and dust.

Movie ended. Lights flickered on.
“That was weird. I would have thought that the company would have wanted to keep something like that as a secret,” Marie said scratching her head.
“Yeah. It’s not often that they can afford to be that straightforward of the past mistakes and… Shit. This really is weird. Where’s the fucking projector?” Logan asked, trying to find an opening from the top of the doorway. There was none. They stepped out from the room, then back in there again. Nothing happened. Lights stayed on. The back wall that had been previously empty to ensure the best possible quality for the movie was now filled with old, framed photographs of smiling Chinese miners, and equally smiling white foremen who worked alongside them.